Publication details for Dr Stephen WelchKennedy-Pipe, Caroline & Welch, Stephen (2005). 'Russia and the United States after 9/11'. Terrorism and Political Violence 17(1 & 2): 279-291.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0954-6553, 1556-1836
- DOI: 10.1080/09546550490520736
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We begin by briefly surveying and discussing approaches to the study of Russian foreign policy after the Cold War. These largely descriptive approaches fail to provide much purchase on the new circumstances obtaining after 9/11. Instead we consider the 'war on terror' from a broadly constructivist perspective as a new international paradigm. We describe its main features, and then consider its implications for Russian-American relations in three policy areas: Chechnya, neighbouring states, and internal security. We find in these areas both opportunities and dilemmas for Russian foreign policy.