Dr Stefanie Kappler, PhD International Relations (University of St Andrews)
Stefanie Kappler joined Durham University in 2015. She holds a PhD from the University of St Andrews. Stefanie previously acted as Director of the Archbishop Desmond Tutu Centre for War and Peace Studies (Liverpool Hope University). She is particularly interested in the contested and transformative nature of local imaginations of peace and has conducted fieldwork in Bosnia-Herzegovina, South Africa, Cyprus, Brussels, Northern Ireland, Kosovo and the Basque Country.
Her main research interests include critical approaches to peacebuilding, specifially with respect to the Balkans, Cyprus and South Africa as well as the spatial and temporal dimensions of international intervention.
Her research is driven by an interest in what constitutes agency and how we can come to an understanding of peacebuilding agents that avoids their essentialisation and takes account of their multidimensional character. To engage with this question, Stefanie has investigated the role that artists can play in peacebuilding processes to break through established categories and provide narratives that challenge dominant discourses.
Stefanie is course director of the MSc in Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding as well as the MSc in Defence, Development & Diplomacy.
- The European Union and Peacebuilding
- Spaces and places of peace and conflict
- Research Methods in Peace Studies
- Peace and the Arts
- Memory and Conflict
- Narrative Approaches
- South Africa
- Northern Ireland
- Björkdahl, Annika & Kappler, Stefanie (2017). Peacebuilding and Spatial Transformation: Peace, Space and Place. Routledge.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2014). Local Agency and Peacebuilding. EU and International Engagement in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Cyprus and South Africa. Palgrave.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2018). Film review:" A Snake Gives Birth to a Snake". Michael Lessac (dir). New York, USA: Saboteur Media, 2014. Cooperation and Conflict
Chapter in book
- Kappler, Stefanie (2017). Positive Peace. In The SAGE Encyclopedia of Political Behavior. Moghaddam, Fathali M. Thousand Oaks, California: SAGE Publications. 640-641.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2017). The Securitization of International Peacebuilding. In Securitization in Statebuilding and Intervention. Bonacker, Thorsten, Distler, Werner & Ketzmerick, Maria Baden-Baden: Nomos. 1.
- Belloni, Roberto, Kappler, Stefanie & Ramovic, Jasmin (2016). Bosnia-Herzegovina: Domestic Agency and the Inadequacy of the Liberal Peace. In Post-Liberal Peace Transitions. Between Peace Formation and State Formation. Richmond, Oliver & Pogodda, Sandra Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. 47-64.
- Kappler, Stefanie & Lemay-Hébert, Nicolas (2015). Hybrid local ownership in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Kosovo: From discursive to material aspects of ownership. In Local Ownership in International Peacebuilding: Key Theoretical and Practical Issues. Lee, Sung Yong & Özerdem, Alpaslan Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. 74-92.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2015). Retelling the City: Competing Spaces of Social Engagement in Cape Town. In Divided cities: governing diversity. Björkdahl, Annika & Strömbom, Lisa Lund: Nordic Academic Press. 131-150.
- Forde, Susan & Kappler, Stefanie (2014). Connecting the Local and the Global - Understanding International Relations through Global Networks. In International Relations and Diplomacy for the Curious: Why Study International Relations and Diplomacy. Vaidya, Kishor Franklin: Curious Academic Publishing.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2014). Everyday Legitimacy in Post-Conflict Spaces: The Creation of Social Legitimacy in Bosnia-Herzegovina’s Cultural Arenas. In Liberal Peacebuilding and the Locus of Legitimacy. Roberts, David Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. 11-38.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2012). Liberal Peacebuilding’s Representation of the Local: The Case of Bosnia and Herzegovina. In Hybrid Forms of Peace: From Everyday Agency to Post-Liberalism. Richmond, Oliver & Mitchell, Audra Palgrave.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2012). Representations of Peace in the EU Peacebuilding Approach in Bosnia-Herzegovina. In Rethinking Peacebuilding The Quest for Just Peace in the Middle East and the Western Balkans. Aggestam, Karin & Bjorkdahl, Annika Routledge.
- Chabot, Joceline, Godin, Richard, Kappler, Stefanie & Kasparian, Sylvia (2015). Mass media and the Genocide of the Armenians: One Hundred Years of Uncertain Representation. Palgrave.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2017). Sarajevo’s Ambivalent Memoryscape: Spatial stories of peace and conflict. Memory Studies 10(2): 130-143.
- Tellidis, Ioannis & Kappler, Stefanie (2016). Information and communication technologies in peacebuilding: Implications, opportunities and challenges. Cooperation and Conflict 51(1): 75-93.
- Lemay-Hébert, Nicolas & Kappler, Stefanie (2016). What Attachment to Peace? Exploring the Normative and Material Dimensions of Local Ownership in Peacebuilding. Review of International Studies 42(5): 895-914.
- Richmond, Oliver, Kappler, Stefanie & Björkdahl, Annika (2015). The ‘Field’ in the Age of Intervention: Power, Legitimacy, and Authority Versus the ‘Local’. Millennium - Journal of International Studies 44(1): 23-44.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2015). The dynamic local: delocalisation and (re-)localisation in the search for peacebuilding identity. Third World Quarterly 36(5): 875-889.
- Vogel, Birte, Richmond, Oliver P., Mac Ginty, Roger, Tellidis, Ioannis & Kappler, Stefanie (2014). Peacebuilding. Peace Review 26(4): 517-519.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2013). Coping with research: local tactics of resistance against (mis-)representation in academia. Peacebuilding 1(1): 125-140.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2013). Everyday Legitimacy in Post-Conflict Spaces: The Creation of Social Legitimacy in Bosnia-Herzegovina's Cultural Arenas. Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding 7(1): 11-28.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2013). Peacebuilding and lines of friction between imagined communities in Bosnia-Herzegovina and South Africa. Peacebuilding 1(3): 349-364.
- Kappler, Stefanie (2012). Divergent Transformation and Centrifugal Peacebuilding: The EU in Bosnia and Herzegovina. International Peacekeeping 19(5): 612-627.
- Kappler, Stefanie & Richmond, Oliver (2011). Peacebuilding and culture in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Resistance or emancipation?. Security Dialogue 42(3): 261.
- Richmond, Oliver, Björkdahl, Annika & Kappler, Stefanie (2011). The emerging EU peacebuilding framework: confirming or transcending liberal peacebuilding?. Cambridge Review of International Affairs 24(3): 449-469.
- Contribution to panel "The EU and liberal peacebuilding" at the Annual Conference "Liberal Internationalism and European Security", 19 and 20 October 2015, Amsterdam.
Available for media contact about:
- Conflict and resolution:
- Europe: Politics, institutions & law:
- Identity, ethnicity and culture:
- International politics:
- 2017: Peace and the Politics of Memory (£123450.27 from Riksbankens Jubileumsfond; total grant value SEK 5.522.268), with Johanna Mannergren Selimovic, Annika Björkdahl and Susanne Buckley-Zistel
- 2017: The Cultural Heritage of Conflict, Swedish Research Council (total grant value SEK 4.808.056), with Johanna Mannergren Selimovic, Annika Björkdahl and Susanne Buckley-Zistel
- 2016: British Council consultancy (civil society and peacebuilding)
- 2016: IAA - IMPACT MENTORING SCHEME (£717.08 from ESRC)
- 2012: Arts and Humanities Research Council: European Proposal Support fund