Athena SWAN - SGIA
Dr Maria Dimova-Cookson provides an overview of ECU’s Athena SWAN Charter, explains that SGIA has an ongoing process of adapting its policies and how this results in improvements for staff and students.
Athena SWAN Principles
- Need to draw on full range of talents for academia to flourish
- Commitment to advancing gender equality and addressing the absence of women from senior academic, professional and support roles
- Recognition of disciplinary differences – but also similarities with A&H and STEMM
- Commitment to tackling the gender pay gap
- Addressing obstacles to career advancement at important stages such as PhD and Post doc.
- Addressing the negative consequences of short term contracts
- Tackling discrimination against trans people
- Recognition of the importance of senior leadership
- Importance of structural and cultural change in departments and institutions
- Commitment to considering the interaction between gender and other factors whenever possible