Outgoing Durham Students
Information for Durham students wishing to study at Berkeley
Students wishing to apply for a period of research at Berkeley through our Exchange Programme will need to apply to the International Office at Durham in the first instance before being nominated to participate in the exchange. In general the exchange allows for up to four Durham students per academic year but the exchange needs to balance over a period of time so it is possible that there may not be places available at certain times. Additionally if more than one student wishes to be considered for a particular semester at Berkeley there will be a selection procedure at Durham to decide who is nominated. Nominated students will then have to complete a separate application to the Berkeley Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Program.
An idea for an area of research and a supervisor ideally would be given on the initial application form to the International Office at Durham. Unfortunately, we are unable to source supervisors for individual students.
Students are responsible for meeting the costs of a research exchange at UCB. Current costs are:
- Unviersity Services fee of $1000 for their time at Berkeley which allows access to all facilities;
- Departmental visiting researcher fees. Some departments may not charge fees or choose to waive them but this is dependent on each individual department;
- Visa charges will also apply.
How to Apply
Students wishing to spend a period of time at Berkeley should submit an application form to the International Office at Durham University.
Before submitting an application, students should have identified a potential project and supervisor at Berkeley. Departmental Exchange Coordinators may be able to advise of any contacts. Professor Santiago Fouz Hernandez is a useful first point of contact owing to his links and previous work with UCB. He can be contacted via email@example.com
Further useful information can be found via UCB's Visiting Researcher website.
Documents to include:
- Research Proposal
- Personal statement and references must be included with the application form
- 2 x Academic References. Once of which should be from a Durham member of staff, preferably the Durham PhD supervisor
In principle, applications can be received all year round however timings of placements cannot be guaranteed and will depend on the partner university. It would be preferable to receive an application at least one term in advance of a proposed research exchange.
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research Exchange Application Form DU (last modified: 16 March 2018)