Where Can I Go?
There are two main exchange programmes available for Durham students: Overseas Exchange and Erasmus+
- ‘University-wide’ partner institutions outside of Europe. Students from all degree programmes can apply, as long as appropriate modules are offered by the partner university (you should check this with your department);
- Please on this programme are competitive as there are limited number of placements. The average success rate for 2017/18 was 33% of applicants;
- Applications are made to the International Office. Cross-Faculty selection panel looks at grades and personal statement. All applicants must be endorsed by their department;
- All partners teach in English, with the exception of those in South America (A-Level Spanish or equivalent required).
- European Placements Only (includes non-EU countries, such as Norway)
- Switzerland no longer participates, but Swiss partners offer an equivalent grant for outgoing Durham students (money given directly to students at the start of each term they are abroad);
- Subject specific – each department has links with specific universities. Full list available online. Places are ring-fenced for students from the ‘owning’ department. Combined / Joint Honours students can apply through any of their individual subjects;
- 12 month maximum length of placement;
- Apply to department in Michaelmas term of second year. Less competitive than Overseas Exchange – for 2019/20 around 90% of applicants were successful;
- Some partners will teach in the host country language, but some will teach in English;
- Students must meet Erasmus+ Grant Regulations as set out by the European Commission to be eligible for Erasmus+ funding.