We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Erasmus, Exchange & Study Abroad

Erasmus+ and Brexit

The Erasmus+ programme is funded by the European Commission. The following guidance issued by the UK government:

The UK will continue to participate fully in Erasmus+ until the end of the current programme. This means EU staff and students can complete mobility periods (subject to public and global health requirements), and receive funding through the current Erasmus+ programme up until the end of the 2021/22 academic year [*please note the limitations to this below], subject to the individual arrangements at each sending university.

The University will continue to work with Universities UK to lobby for international student mobility. Durham University will look to fully participate in the Turing Scheme that the UK goverment have announced will replace the Erasmus+ scheme ( However, Durham University students should be aware that Brexit may have an impact on placements in 2020/21 and beyond. Universities UK International provides a useful resource, as the situation evolves (06/10/2020).

The UK government has previously published notices saying that it would underwrite any Erasmus+ funding for proposals submitted before Britain’s exit from the EU. Durham has an Erasmus contract until 2023, thus covering the 2020/21 academic year. Our understanding is, therefore, that the UK will continue to honour all Erasmus+ commitments made for the 2020/21 academic year.

Students should, however, be aware that Brexit will have an impact in terms of travel and in-country registration requirements now that we have formally left the EU. Rules and requirement will be specific to each country in the EU. We, therefore, strongly advise students to frequently check the following websites, for government advice:

  • Government’s 'Living in' guides for more specific advice about your host country,
  • FCO webpage for your host country for the most up to date information,
  • Embassy website (available from the above pages) of your host country for any specific rules that may apply to you in that country.

Universities UK International commissioned legal advice on the immigration rules for UK students and researchers in each of the EU 27 Member States, Norway, Iceland, and Switzerland from 1 January 2021 onwards. Their Excel matrix (accurate of 09/02/2021) gives you information for each of these countries on:

  • immigration requirements for short-term study arrangements (up to one year)
  • immigration requirements for short-term work placements (up to one year)
  • immigration requirements for students wishing to do an undergraduate or postgraduate degree
  • permits for post-study work

Please visit their: Post-Brexit immigration rules in Europe ( page for further details.


Durham University’s Erasmus+ Grant Agreement for the 2021/22 academic year. The government assurances set out above should cover this period. However, students should be aware that there may be some implications in terms of travel, visas and associated costs.

Universities cannot apply for additional future Erasmus+ funding after Brexit, however, the UK government have stated that a replacement scheme, called the Turing Scheme, will be put in place. The International Office will bid for funding to fully participate in the Turing Scheme. Students must not apply directly to the Turing sheme as it could prevent the University from making an application for all students.

We are also working closely with our European partner institutions and networks (such as the Coimbra Group Student Exchange Network) to ensure exchange opportunities will continue to be available in the future.

In the 2020/21 and 2021/22 academic years the UK will continue to participate in Erasmus+. Durham University will continue to welcome students and staff from European partners to take part in study placements here. We are working closely with our partner universities to ensure that our agreements are up to date to allow mobility. Incoming students may have to apply for a visa to study in the UK. Please follow the UK Government advice and the Erasmus+ advice