We encourage Durham and external staff to explore international fellowship and research opportunities in their areas, both at Durham and abroad.
Institute of Advanced Study
The Institute of Advanced Study (IAS) is Durham's flagship interdisciplinary research institute, providing a central forum for debate and collaboration across the entire disciplinary spectrum. IAS brings leading international academics and practitioners together through a variety of fellowship opportunities:
- IAS Fellowships: the Institute establishes an annual theme and offers up to 20, three-month fellowships centered around that theme.
- International Fellowships for Research and Enterprise: for Junior and Senior Researchers, the fellowship allows for visits of between six weeks and six months.
- Christopher/Knott Fellowship: for members of Durham University staff.
- Addison Wheeler Junior Researcher Fellowship: available for up to three years, research in all disciplines is welcome, with a focus on making a significant contribution to knowledge.
- College Fellowships: Durham’s Colleges offer fellowships, often only providing accommodation and board.
Durham's Research Office promotes funding and grant opportunities, with guidance, across all disciplines.
External fellowship opportunities
External fellowship opportunities are often advertised for short or long-term placement. More details about the objectives, funding, and length of the placements can be found on the respective websites.
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowships: encouraging researchers from all disciplines to conductjoint research activities with colleagues at Japanese universities and research institutes.
- Fulbright Scholars: supporting the research and teaching of scholars visiting colleges and universities in the United States.
- Newton Fund: building science and innovation capacity in developing countries.
- Commonwealth Scholarships: scholarships and fellowships for UK citizens.
Additional opportunities for international engagement
- Research Office's Seedcorn Research Fund: further financial support for all disciplines to build high-quality, competitive research proposals is available to apply for through the Seedcorn Research Fund.
- Durham Business & Innovation Services (DBIS) offer opportunities for research and commercial development including research commercialisation and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP).
- International Office's promoted travel grants.