COSMA is a large consumer of electricity. The UK national grid has not yet been decarbonised, and therefore COSMA is responsible for production of a large amount of CO2.
We are taking some steps, within our control, to help mitigate this. You will find some of this information here.
- Quarterly energy reporting to users and project PIs: an email every quarter providing information about energy consumption by each user's jobs.
- Partaking in UKRI Net Zero panels and discussions.
- Using SLURM to power off unwanted compute nodes: currently DINE, with expansion to COSMA5 imminent. Other systems see close to 100% use, so would have minimal benefit.
- BIOS configurations to reduce node idle power while not affecting job runtimes.
- Working with suppliers to reduce packaging and embedded CO2.
- Installation of ~£1m solar panels to offset COSMA's electricity usage.
- Encouraging users to move to more efficient codes and workloads.
Here is a list of collected publications that we have discovered.