Department of Mathematical Sciences
- John Parker at Trieste Advance School and Workshop
- Ruth Gregory on Emmy Noether
- Durham Maths to host ESGI in April 2016
- BP Achievement Awards 2014-15
- Jens Funke and the 150 years of the London Mathematical Society
- Equality, Diversity & Unconscious Bias Session
- HoD to join the LMS Women in Mathematics Committee
- Collingwood Lecture 2013 a big hit
Friday 12 and Saturday 13 June 2015 in the Business School: ICFT 2015 sponsored by the LMS and the IOP. A workshop gathering the UK community working in conformal field theory and integrable systems.
Wednesday 6 May at 11:00am in CM101: Pascal Lecture delivered by Professor Dimitri Petritis (Rennes) on `Gambling with classical or quantum dice: a guided tour from classical probability to quantum channels'
Tuesday 24, Wednesday 25 and Thursday 26 March 2015 in L47 (Psychology): David Evans, Matthew Elliott-Ripley, Kate Horner and Lauren Scanlon represent our Department at the Durham University Schools Science Festival. They will talk about applications of Knot Theory.
Monday 16 March to Friday 20 March 2015 in CM105: LMS Invited Lectures 2015: Michael Shapiro on Cluster Algebras and Integrable Systems.
Monday 16 March 2015 in CM211: LMS Mathematical Methods in Reliability Lecture Day on Uncertainty Quantification.
Thursday 5 March 2015 @ 5:15pm in CLC013: Public Lecture by Professor Reidun Twarock (York Centre for Complex Systems Analysis). `Geometry: A secret weapon in the fight against viruses'
Thursday 5 March 2015, 3:00pm - 5:00pm in Van Mildert College: Kate Horner and Lauren Scanlon lead a workshop targetting Y10+ on the theme of Knot Theory.
Thursday 26 February 2015 @ 4:00pm in CLC013: Collingwood Lecture 2015 by Professor Martin Hairer FRS, Fields Medallist 2014 (Warwick).`Taming Infinities'
Wednesday 11 June 2014 @ 2:00pm in CM101: Pascal Lecture 2014 by Professor Gary Gibbons FRS (Cambridge). `The solitons concept and gravity'
There are no seminars for the dates selected.
A selection of recent grants
- New homotopy-type invariants of knots (EPSRC, Andrew Lobb)
- Photospheric Driving of Non-Potential Coronal Magnetic Field Simulations (US Air Force, Anthony Yeates)
- SPOCK: Scientific Properties Of Complex Knots (Leverhulme Trust Research Programme Grant, Paul Sutcliffe)
- SPiN: Symmetry Principles in Nature (ERC Consolidator Grant, Mukund Rangamani)
- Miles, Richard & Ward, Thomas (2015). Directional uniformities, periodic points, and entropy. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems - Series B 20(10): 3525-3545.
- Wooff, D. A. & Stirling, S. G. (2015). Practical statistical methods for call centres with a case study addressing urgent medical care delivery. Annals of Operations Research 233(1): 501-515.
- Taormina, A. & Wendland, K. (2015), Symmetry-surfing the moduli space of Kummer K3s, in Donagi, Ron, Katz, Sheldon, Klemm, Albrecht & Morrison, David R. eds, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics 90: String-Math 2012. Bonn, Germany, American Mathematical Society, 129-154.
- Kurtek, S., Jermyn, I. H., Xie, Q. & Klassen, E. (2015). Elastic shape analysis of surfaces and images. In Riemannian Computing in Computer Vision. Turaga, Pavan K. & Srivastava, Anuj Springer.
- Iannone, P. & Simpson, A. (2015). Students’ views of oral performance assessment in mathematics: straddling the ‘assessment of’ and ‘assessment for’ learning divide. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education 40(7): 971-987.
Durham DH1 3LE