Department of Mathematical Sciences
Module descriptions for 2017/18 can be found here. Non-Maths students wanting to take an elective should check with their home departments for any programme regulations and/or excluded combinations that may restrict your choice. A list of level 1 elective modules and their prerequisites can be found here.
Thursday 15 June 2017 @ 2:00pm in CG83 (Chemistry): Academic speed dating event organized by the NODES group.There will be five short 10 minute presentations about aspects of research in a variety of disciplines where mathematical/statistical/computational collaborations could be fruitful. These presentations will be from Durham Physics (Halim Kusumaatmaja), Durham Chemistry (Mark Miller), Durham Psychology (Marco Nardini and James Negan), Newcastle Institute of Neuroscience (Stacey Aston), and Newcastle Business School (Pascal Mossay). After these presentations, which will take place in CG83, participants will meet up in the Chemistry Café for further informal discussions.
Thursday 18 May 2017 @ 4:00pm in CG93: Pascal Lecture 2017 by Professor Peter Diggle (Lancaster University).`Statistical Analysis of Spatiotemporal Point Process Data'
Tuesday 16 May 2017 @ 2:00pm in PC216: MoU signing between Durham University and the African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
A selection of recent grants
- Arithmetic of Automorphic Forms and Special L-Values (EPSRC First Grant, Thanasis Bouganis)
- Cluster algebras, Coxeter groups and hyperbolic manifolds (EPSRC, Anna Felikson)
- Particles, Fields and Spacetime (STFC, Simon Ross)
- New homotopy-type invariants of knots (EPSRC, Andrew Lobb)
- Photospheric Driving of Non-Potential Coronal Magnetic Field Simulations (US Air Force, Anthony Yeates)
- SPOCK: Scientific Properties Of Complex Knots (Leverhulme Trust Research Programme Grant, Paul Sutcliffe)
- Yin, Y.-C., Coolen, F.P.A. & Coolen-Maturi, T. (2017). An imprecise statistical method for accelerated life testing using the power-Weibull model. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 167: 158-167.
- Aslett, L. J. M., Nagapetyan, T. & Vollmer, S. J. (2017). Multilevel Monte Carlo for Reliability Theory. Reliability Engineering & System Safety 165: 188-196.
- Simpson, A. (2017). The misdirection of public policy: comparing and combining standardised effect sizes. Journal of Education Policy 32(4): 450-466.
- Wu, S., Coolen, F.P.A. & Liu, B. (2017). Optimisation of maintenance policy under parameter uncertainty using portfolio theory. IISE Transactions 49(7): 711-721.
- Belanger, Scott, Barron, Mace, Craig, Peter, Dyer, Scott, Galay-Burgos, Malyka, Hamer, Mick, Marshall, Stuart, Posthuma, Leo, Raimondo, Sandy & Whitehouse, Paul (2017). Future needs and recommendations in the development of species sensitivity distributions: Estimating toxicity thresholds for aquatic ecological communities and assessing impacts of chemical exposures. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 13(4): 664-674.
Durham DH1 3LE
Explore the frontiers of knowledge