Department of Mathematical Sciences
Thursday 15 June 2017 @ 2:00pm in CG83 (Chemistry): Academic speed dating event organized by the NODES group.There will be five short 10 minute presentations about aspects of research in a variety of disciplines where mathematical/statistical/computational collaborations could be fruitful. These presentations will be from Durham Physics (Halim Kusumaatmaja), Durham Chemistry (Mark Miller), Durham Psychology (Marco Nardini and James Negan), Newcastle Institute of Neuroscience (Stacey Aston), and Newcastle Business School (Pascal Mossay). After these presentations, which will take place in CG83, participants will meet up in the Chemistry Café for further informal discussions.
Thursday 18 May 2017 @ 4:00pm in CG93: Pascal Lecture 2017 by Professor Peter Diggle (Lancaster University).`Statistical Analysis of Spatiotemporal Point Process Data'
Tuesday 16 May 2017 @ 2:00pm in PC216: MoU signing between Durham University and the African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
A selection of recent grants
- Arithmetic of Automorphic Forms and Special L-Values (EPSRC First Grant, Thanasis Bouganis)
- Cluster algebras, Coxeter groups and hyperbolic manifolds (EPSRC, Anna Felikson)
- Particles, Fields and Spacetime (STFC, Simon Ross)
- New homotopy-type invariants of knots (EPSRC, Andrew Lobb)
- Photospheric Driving of Non-Potential Coronal Magnetic Field Simulations (US Air Force, Anthony Yeates)
- SPOCK: Scientific Properties Of Complex Knots (Leverhulme Trust Research Programme Grant, Paul Sutcliffe)
- Patelli,E., Feng,G., Coolen, F.P.A. & Coolen-Maturi,T. (2017). Simulation Methods for System Reliability Using the Survival Signature. Reliability Engineering & System Safety 167: 327-337.
- Yin, Y.-C., Coolen, F.P.A. & Coolen-Maturi, T. (2017). An imprecise statistical method for accelerated life testing using the power-Weibull model. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 167: 158-167.
- Hoyle, D.M. & Fielding, S.M. (2017). Necking after extensional filament stretching of complex fluids and soft solids. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 247: 132-145.
- Aslett, L. J. M., Nagapetyan, T. & Vollmer, S. J. (2017). Multilevel Monte Carlo for Reliability Theory. Reliability Engineering & System Safety 165: 188-196.
- Dondl, Patrick W. & Wojtowytsch, Stephan (2017). Uniform regularity and convergence of phase-fields for Willmore’s energy. Calculus of Variations and Partial Differential Equations 56(4): 90.
Durham DH1 3LE
Explore the frontiers of knowledge