Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Michael Goldstein part of new £20m EPSRC National Centre for Energy Systems Integration
- Durham Mathematical Physicists shed light on heart attacks by studying knots
- Athena SWAN Bronze
- Kasper Peeters gives second Departmental Research Colloquium
- Andrew Lobb to give the first Departmental Research Colloquium of the year
- Camila Caiado member of Durham University Council
- John Parker at Trieste Advance School and Workshop
Tuesday 10 May 2016 @ 4:00pm in CLC013: Collingwood Lecture 2016 by Professor Ray Goldstein FRS, Schlumberger Professor of Complex Physical Systems (Cambridge).`Evolution of Biological Complexity'
Wednesday 13 April 2016 in CM211: LMS Mathematical Methods in Reliability Lecture Day on Uncertainty Quantification.
Tuesday 8 March 2016 at 12:00pm in W309 (Geography): viewing of the documentary `He named me Malala', in the framework of activities to celebrate the International Women's Day 2016. The documentary (84 minutes) tells the story of a teenager girl who was attacked by gunmen in Pakistan for advocating girls' education. Malala went on to receive the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize and she created the Malala Fund that helps girls affected by conflict to learn safely. Further viewings of the film are planned on Monday 7 March in CM221, Wednesday 9 March in CG218, Thursday 10 March in W007 and Friday 11 March in CG218, all at 12 noon.
Wednesday 24 February 2016 at 2:00pm in CLC013: Pascal Lecture delivered by Professor Caroline Series (Warwick) on `Mirzakhani's starting point'
There are no seminars for the dates selected.
A selection of recent grants
- Arithmetic of Automorphic Forms and Special L-Values (EPSRC First Grant, Thanasis Bouganis)
- Cluster algebras, Coxeter groups and hyperbolic manifolds (EPSRC, Anna Felikson)
- Particles, Fields and Spacetime (STFC, Simon Ross)
- New homotopy-type invariants of knots (EPSRC, Andrew Lobb)
- Photospheric Driving of Non-Potential Coronal Magnetic Field Simulations (US Air Force, Anthony Yeates)
- SPOCK: Scientific Properties Of Complex Knots (Leverhulme Trust Research Programme Grant, Paul Sutcliffe)
- Dutour Sikirić, Mathieu, Gangl, Herbert, Gunnells, Paul E., Hanke, Jonathan, Schürmann, Achill & Yasaki, Dan (2016). On the cohomology of linear groups over imaginary quadratic fields. Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra 220(7): 2564-2589.
- Feng, G., Patelli, E., Beer, M. & Coolen, F.P.A. (2016). Imprecise system reliability and component importance based on survival signature. Reliability Engineering & System Safety 150: 116-125.
- Krawczyk, J., Croce, S., McLeish, T.C.B. & Chakrabarti, B. (2016). Elasticity dominated surface segregation of small molecules in polymer mixtures. Physical Review Letters 116(20): 208301.
- Ward, R. S. (2016). Integrable (2k)-Dimensional Hitchin Equations. Letters in Mathematical Physics
- Oughton, Rachel H. & Craig, Peter S. (2016). Hierarchical Emulation: a method for modelling and comparing nested simulators. The SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification 4(1): 495-519.
Durham DH1 3LE