Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Alumni/careers Videoconference is a success
- Professor Zakrzewski awarded a Leverhulme Trust Emeritus Fellowship
- Michael Goldstein part of new £20m EPSRC National Centre for Energy Systems Integration
- Durham Mathematical Physicists shed light on heart attacks by studying knots
- Athena SWAN Bronze
- Andrew Lobb to give the first Departmental Research Colloquium of the year
- Camila Caiado member of Durham University Council
- John Parker at Trieste Advance School and Workshop
Tuesday 10 May 2016 @ 4:00pm in CLC013: Collingwood Lecture 2016 by Professor Ray Goldstein FRS, Schlumberger Professor of Complex Physical Systems (Cambridge).`Evolution of Biological Complexity'
Wednesday 13 April 2016 in CM211: LMS Mathematical Methods in Reliability Lecture Day on Uncertainty Quantification.
Tuesday 8 March 2016 at 12:00pm in W309 (Geography): viewing of the documentary `He named me Malala', in the framework of activities to celebrate the International Women's Day 2016. The documentary (84 minutes) tells the story of a teenager girl who was attacked by gunmen in Pakistan for advocating girls' education. Malala went on to receive the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize and she created the Malala Fund that helps girls affected by conflict to learn safely. Further viewings of the film are planned on Monday 7 March in CM221, Wednesday 9 March in CG218, Thursday 10 March in W007 and Friday 11 March in CG218, all at 12 noon.
Wednesday 24 February 2016 at 2:00pm in CLC013: Pascal Lecture delivered by Professor Caroline Series (Warwick) on `Mirzakhani's starting point'
There are no seminars for the dates selected.
A selection of recent grants
- Arithmetic of Automorphic Forms and Special L-Values (EPSRC First Grant, Thanasis Bouganis)
- Cluster algebras, Coxeter groups and hyperbolic manifolds (EPSRC, Anna Felikson)
- Particles, Fields and Spacetime (STFC, Simon Ross)
- New homotopy-type invariants of knots (EPSRC, Andrew Lobb)
- Photospheric Driving of Non-Potential Coronal Magnetic Field Simulations (US Air Force, Anthony Yeates)
- SPOCK: Scientific Properties Of Complex Knots (Leverhulme Trust Research Programme Grant, Paul Sutcliffe)
- Coolen, F.P.A. & Coolen-Maturi, T. (2016). The structure function for system reliability as predictive (imprecise) probability. Reliability Engineering & System Safety 154: 180-187.
- Maloney, Alex & Ross, Simon F. (2016). Holography on non-orientable surfaces. Classical and Quantum Gravity 33(18): 185006.
- Cristiani, E. & Sahu, S. (2016). On the micro-to-macro limit for first-order traffic flow models on networks. Networks and Heterogeneous Media 11(3): 395-413.
- Simpson, Adrian (2016). Assessment and its outcomes: the influence of disciplines and institutions. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education 41(6): 917-937.
- Georgiou, Nicholas, Menshikov, Mikhail V., Mijatovic, Aleksandar & Wade, Andrew R. (2016). Anomalous recurrence properties of many-dimensional zero-drift random walks. Advances in Applied Probability 48(Issue A): 99-118.
Durham DH1 3LE