Mr Ed Pope, BA, MPhil
2016 - 2017: PhD - Frequency and triggering mechanisms of submarine mass movements, Durham University
2013 - 2016: PhD - Frequency and triggering mechanisms of submarine mass movements, National Oceanography Centre Southampton
2012 - 2013: MPhil - Polar Studies, Scott Polar Research Institute
2009 - 2012: BA - Geography, University of Cambridge
My research focusses primarily on the frequency and triggering mechanisms of submarine mass movements and the hazard posed by these events.
I use a combination of field measurements, damage to seafloor infrastructure, sediment core deposits and statistics to understand the role of individual triggering mechanisms, such as earthquakes and rapid sedimentation, in different settings around the world across different time periods.
Currently, my research focusses on the relationship between ice sheets and different types of submarine mass movements during the Quaternary. From this analysis we hope to better understand how ice sheets impact upon continental margin envolution.
- Frequency and triggers of submarine mass movements
- Submarine geohazards
- Ice sheet processes and histories
- Pope, E. L., Talling, P. J., Carter, L., Clare, M. A. & Hunt, J. E. Damaging sediment density flows triggered by tropical cyclones. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 2017;458:161-169.
- Pope, E. L., Talling, P. J. & Carter, L. Which earthquakes trigger damaging submarine mass movements: Insights from a global record of submarine cable breaks?. Marine Geology. 2017;384:131-146.
- Pope, E. L., Willis, I. C., Pope, A., Miles, E. S., Arnold, N. S. & Rees, W. G. Contrasting snow and ice albedos derived from MODIS, Landsat ETM+ and airborne data from Langjökull, Iceland. Remote Sensing of Environment. 2016;175:183-195.
- Allin, J. R., Hunt, J. E., Talling, P. J., Clare, M. A., Pope, E. & Masson, D. G. Different frequencies and triggers of canyon filling and flushing events in Nazaré Canyon, offshore Portugal. Marine Geology. 2016;371:89-105.
- Willis, I. C., Pope, E. L., Leysinger Vieli, G. J. M. C., Arnold, N. S. & Long, S. Drainage networks, lakes and water fluxes beneath the Antarctic ice sheet. Annals of Glaciology. 2016;57:96-108.
- Gavey, R., Carter, L., Liu, J. T., Talling, P. J., Hsu, R. T., Pope, E. & Evans, G. Frequent sediment density flows fromed by different triggering mechanisms: observations from subsea cable breaks in the Gaoping Canyon-Manila Trench, Taiwan. Marine Geology. 2016;384:147-158.
- Pope, E.L., Talling, P.J., Hunt, J.E., Dowdeswell, J.A., Allin, J.R., Cartigny, M.J.B., Long, D., Mozzato, A., Stanford, J.D., Tappin, D.R. & Watts, M. Long-term record of Barents Sea Ice Sheet advance to the shelf edge from a 140,000 year record. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2016;150:55-66.
- Pope, E. L., Talling, P. J., Urlaub, M., Hunt, J. E., Clare, M. A. & Challenor, P. Are large submarine landslides temporally random or do uncertainties in available age constraints make it impossible to tell?. Marine Geology. 2015;369:19.
- Talling, Peter J., Allin, Joshua, Armitage, Dominic A., Arnott, Robert W. C., Cartigny, Matthieu J. B., Clare, Michael A., Felletti, Fabrizio, Covault, Jacob A., Girardclos, Stephanie, Hansen, Ernst, Hill, Philip R., Hiscott, Richard N., Hogg, Andrew J., Clarke, John Hughes, Jobe, Zane R., Malgesini, Giuseppe, Mozzato, Alessandro, Naruse, Hajime, Parkinson, Sam, Peel, Frank J., Piper, David J. W., Pope, Ed, Postma, George, Rowley, Pete, Sguazzini, Andrea, Stevenson, Christopher J., Sumner, Esther J., Sylvester, Zoltan, Watts, Camilla & Xu, Jingping Key future directions for research on turbidity currents and their deposits. Journal Of Sedimentary Research. 2015;85:153-169.
- Talling, P. J., Clare, M. A., Urlaub, M., Pope, E., Hunt, J. E. & Watt, S. F. L. Large submarine landslides on continental slopes. Oceanography. 2014;27:32.