Publication details for Professor Ben AndersonAnderson, B. Cultural Geography II: The Force of Representations. Progress in Human Geography. 2018.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0309-1325, 1477-0288
- DOI: 10.1177/0309132518761431
- Keywords: Cultural Geography, Images, Non-Representational Theory, Representation, Texts
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Cultural geography is once again concerned with representations. In this report I focus on how, in the wake of various non-representational theories, recent work stays with what texts, images, words, and other representations do. I argue that this work is animated by a concern with the force of representations: their capacities to affect and effect, to make a difference. Accompanying this orientation to questions of force is a shift in the unit of analysis to ‘representations-in-relation’ and a multiplication of the modes of analysis through which cultural geography is performed, including the emergence of reparative and descriptive modes.