Publication details for Professor Cheryl McEwanMcEwan, C. Material geographies and postcolonialism. Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography. 2003;24:340-355.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0129-7619, 1467-9493
- DOI: 10.1111/1467-9493.00163
- Keywords: Discourse, Materiality, Global economy, Politics, Ethics.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
While postcolonial studies have inspired new ideas, a new language and a new theoretical inflection for a wide range of teaching and research in human geography, there have been few sustained discussions about what might constitute a postcolonial geography. This paper attempts to deal with this absence by exploring the possibilities of material geographies of postcolonialism. It suggests that geographers are particularly well placed to respond to criticisms of postcolonialism as remaining overwhelmingly textual, cultural and/or historical in focus by contributing towards a productive engagement between postcolonialism and the material realities of global inequalities, and towards a revivified political and ethical project. It explores how particular tactics might inform postcolonial methodologies within geography and makes some tentative suggestions on what a postcolonial political praxis might look like.