Publication details for Dr Hung-Ying ChenChen, Hung-Ying Cashing in on the sky: financialization and urban air rights in the Taipei Metropolitan Area. Regional Studies. 2020;54:198-208.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0034-3404 (print), 1360-0591 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1080/00343404.2019.1599104
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This paper focuses on urban air rights, property rights for the ownership, development and trading of the airspace above land parcels. A three-fold contribution is made to the study of urban financialization. First, urban air rights are explicated as a new empirical terrain for research into urban financialization. Second, air rights are conceptualized as ‘market devices’ that enable market-making processes and are deployed by an activist state to facilitate regulatory and socio-technical conditions for urban financialization. Third, case studies of urban Taipei show air rights take subtly different forms across financialized processes of infrastructure provision and urban renewal.