Publication details for Professor Philip SteinbergSteinberg, P.E. The Condition of Premodernity. Dialogues in Human Geography. 2015;5:95-97.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2043-8206 (print), 2043-8214 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1177/2043820614565877
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
In ‘Air’s Affinities’, Peter Adey (2015) adopts a premodern approach wherein an object’s elemental essence can be read directly from subjective encounter. This perspective effectively engages the material without endorsing determinism, the essential without endorsing the analytics of science and the power of the encounter without endorsing the radical subjectivity of phenomenology. However, it strips observation and analysis of its potential for critique, instead endorsing an outlook that is, at root, theological in its dependence on faith for understanding unobservable and unexplainable processes, elements, essences and affinities.