Dr Stewart Jamieson, BSc, MSc, PhD
I am a NERC Postdoctoral Research Fellow and Proleptic Lecturer in Geography. My research focuses on understanding controls on ice sheet behaviour, long-term landscape evolution, topographic reconstruction and glacial geomorphology. In particular, I am interested in understanding and quantifying the impact that interactions between these large-scale processes have upon ice sheet behaviour. Geographically, my work centres upon Antarctica although I also have interests in Greenland, Norway, Canada, Patagonia and the Himalayas.
I use an approach that links numerical models of ice sheets, ice streams, tectonics and rivers to geological and geomorphological evidence for past system behaviour. A significant component of my model-based research is carried out using synthetic systems to understand the responses of ice sheets and ice streams to perturbations in bed conditions produced under conditions of glacial erosion and deposition.
My current project investigates the importance of glacial erosion and deposition for controlling the advance and retreat of marine-terminating ice streams. This builds upon a major component of my previous work which focused on determining how patterns of glacial landscape evolution under terrestrial ice sheets can perturb ice dynamics on timescales of hundreds to millions of years.
Long-term landscape evolution of Antarctica
Much of my work has focussed on understanding patterns of long-term landscape evolution in Antarctica. By making links between numerical models of ice behaviour and our knowledge of landsystems that were produced under ice in the Northern Hemisphere, I have been able to predict how Antarctica has been modified by its long-lived ice sheet. This has led to better understanding of long-term interactions between ice and the landscape in Antarctica.
I am also working on using our understanding of glacial erosion processes and patterns to reconstruct the former landscape of Antarctica. This work forms part of theANTscape project to generate a range of palaeotopographic maps of Antarctica over the past 130 Million Years (www.antscape.org). This work is sponsored by Antarctic Climate Evolution (ACE) group of the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR).
- GLANAM: Glaciated North Atlantic Margins
- Understanding Marine Ice Stream Retreat Using Numerical Modelling and Geophysical Data
- Ice Sheet Modelling
- Landscape Evolution
- Jamieson, S.S.R & Livingstone, S.J. Look to the past to see the future. Geoconnexion International. 2013;31.
Journal papers: academic
- Chang, M., Jamieson, S.S.R., Bentley, M.J. & Stokes, C.R. The Surficial and Subglacial Geomorphology of Western Dronning Maud Land, Antarctica. Journal of Maps. Accepted.
- Carr, J.R., Vieli, A., Stokes, C.R., Jamieson, S.S.R., Palmer, S.J., Christoffersen, P., Dowdeswell, J.A., Nick, F.M., Blankenship, D.D. & Young, D.A. Basal topographic controls on rapid retreat of Humboldt Glacier, northern Greenland. Journal of Glaciology. 2015;61:137-150.
- Jamieson, S.S.R., Ewertowski, M.W. & Evans, D.J.A. Rapid advance of two mountain glaciers in response to mine-related debris loading. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface. 2015;120:1418-1435.
- Evans, D.J.A., Ewertowski, M., Jamieson, S.S.R. & Orton, C. Surficial geology and geomorphology of the Kumtor Gold Mine, Kyrgyzstan: human impacts on mountain glacier landsystems. Journal of Maps. 2015.
- Bentley, M.J., Ó Cofaigh, C., Anderson, J.B., Conway, H., Davies, B., Graham, A.G.C., Hillenbrand, C.-D., Hodgson, D.A., Jamieson, S.S.R., Larter, R.D., Mackintosh, A., Smith, J.A., Verleyen, E., Ackert, R.P., Bart, P.J., Berg, S., Brunstein, D., Canals, M., Colhoun, E.A., Crosta, X., Dickens, W.A., Domack, E., Dowdeswell, J.A., Dunbar, R., Ehrmann, W., Evans, J., Favier, V., Fink, D., Fogwill, C.J., Glasser, N.F., Gohl, K., Golledge, N.R., Goodwin, I., Gore, D.B., Greenwood, S.L., Hall, B.L., Hall, K., Hedding, D.W., Hein, A.S., Hocking, E.P., Jakobsson, M., Johnson, J.S., Jomelli, V., Jones, R.S., Klages, J.P., Kristoffersen, Y., Kuhn, G., Leventer, A., Licht, K., Lilly, K., Lindow, J., Livingstone, S.J., Massé, G., McGlone, M.S., McKay, R.M., Melles, M., Miura, H., Mulvaney, R., Nel, W., Nitsche, F.O., O’Brien, P.E., Post, A.L., Roberts, S.J., Saunders, K.M., Selkirk, P.M., Simms, A.R., Spiegel, C., Stolldorf, T.D., Sugden, D.E., van der Putten, N., van Ommen, T., Verfaillie, D., Vyverman, W., Wagner, B., White, D.A., Witus, A.E. & Zwartz, D. A community-based geological reconstruction of Antarctic Ice Sheet deglaciation since the Last Glacial Maximum. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2014;100:1-9.
- Jamieson, S.S.R., Stokes, C.R., Ross, N., Rippin, D.M., Bingham, R.G., Wilson, D.S., Margold, M. & Bentley, M.J. The Glacial Geomorphology of the Antarctic Ice Sheet Bed. Antarctic Science. 2014;26:724-741.
- Jamieson, S.S.R., Vieli, A., Ó Cofaigh, C., Stokes, C.R., Livingstone, S.J. & Hillenbrand, C-D. Understanding controls on rapid ice-stream retreat during the last deglaciation of Marguerite Bay, Antarctica, using a numerical model. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface. 2014;119:247-263.
- Rose, K.C., Ferraccioli, F., Jamieson, S.S.R., Bell, R., Corr, H., Creyts, T. Fretwell, P.T., Jordan, T., Damaske, D. & Braaten, D. Early East Antarctic Ice Sheet growth recorded in the landscape of the Gamburtsev Subglacial Mountains. Earth and planetary science letters. 2013;375:1-12.
- Livingstone, S.J., O'Cofaigh, C., Stokes, C.R., Hillenbrand, C-D., Vieli, A. & Jamieson, S.S.R. Glacial geomorphology of Marguerite Bay Palaeo-Ice stream, western Antarctic Peninsula. Journal of Maps. 2013;9:558-572.
- Wilson, D.S., Pollard, D., DeConto, R., Jamieson, S.S.R. & Luyendyk, B.P. Initiation of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and estimates of total Antarctic ice volume in the earliest Oligocene. Geophysical Research Letters. 2013;40:4305-4309.
- Livingstone, S.J., O'Cofaigh, C.O., Stokes C.R., Hillenbrand, C-D., Vieli, A. & Jamieson, S.S.R. Antarctic palaeo-ice streams. Earth-Science Reviews. 2012;111:90-128.
- Wilson, D.S., Jamieson, S.S.R., Barrett, P.J., Leitchenkov, G., Gohl, K. & Larter, R.D. Antarctic topography at the Eocene-Oligocene boundary. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 2012;335-336:24-34.
- Jamieson, S.S.R., Vieli, A., Livingstone, S.J., Ó Cofaigh, C., Stokes, C.R., Hillenbrand, C-D. & Dowdeswell, J.A. Ice-stream stability on a reverse bed slope. Nature Geoscience. 2012;5:799-802.
- Pross, J., Contreras, L., Bijl, P.K., Greenwood, D.R., Bohaty, S.M., Schouten, S., Bendle, J.A., Röhl, U., Tauxe, L., Raine, J.I., Huck, J.E., van de Flierdt, T., Jamieson, S.S.R., Stickley, C.E., van de Schootbrugge, B., Escutia, C., Brinkhuis, H. & Integrated Ocean Drilling Program Expedition 318 Scientists Persistent near-tropical warmth on the Antarctic continent during the early Eocene epoch. Nature. 2012;488:73-77
- Jamieson, S.S.R., Sugden, D.E. & Hulton, N.R.J. The evolution of the subglacial landscape of Antarctica. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 2010;293:1-27.
- Jamieson, S.S.R., Hulton, N.R.J. & Hagdorn, M. Modelling landscape evolution under ice sheets. Geomorphology. 2008;97:91-108.
- Hebeler, F., Purves, R.S. & Jamieson, S.S.R. The impact of parametric uncertainty and topographic error in ice-sheet modelling. Journal of Glaciology. 2008;54:889-919.
- Jamieson, S.S.R., Hulton, N.R.J., Sugden, D.E., Payne, A.J. & Taylor, J. Cenozoic Landscape evolution of the Lambert basin, East Antarctica: the relative role of rivers and ice sheets. Global and Planetary Change. 2005;45:35-49.
- Jamieson, S.S.R., Sinclair, H.D., Kirstein, L.A. & Purves, R.S. Tectonic forcing of longitudinal valleys in the Himalaya: morphological analysis of the Ladakh Batholith, North India. Geomorphology. 2004;58:49-65.
- Marchant, D.R., Jamieson, S.S.R. & Sugden, D.E. The geomorphic signature of massive subglacial floods in Victoria Land, Antarctica. In: Siegert, M.J. Kennicutt II, M.C. & Bindschadler, R.A. Subglacial Aquatic Environments, Geophysical Monograph Series. Washington, USA: American Geophysical Union; 2011:111-127.
- Jamieson, S.S.R. & Sugden, D.E. Landscape evolution of Antarctica. In: Cooper, A. K., Barrett, P. J. Stagg, H. Storey, B. Stump, E. Wise, W. & and the 10th ISAES editorial team. Antarctica: A Keystone in a Changing World - Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Antarctic Earth Sciences. Washington D.C.: National Academies Press; 2008:39-54.
- 2012: The influence of evolving bed topography on marine ice stream stability (£236113.39 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)