Professor Colin McFarlane
Colin McFarlane is an urban geographer whose work focusses on the experience and politics of informal neighbourhoods. This has involved research into the relations between informality, infrastructure and knowledge in urban India and elsewhere. A key part of this has been a focus on the experience and politics of sanitation in informal settlements in Mumbai, which was part of an Economic and Social Research Council ethnographic project on the everyday cultures and contested politics of sanitation and water in two informal settlements. His current work examines the politicisation of informal neighbourhoods in comparative perspective, including African and South Asian cities.
He is author of 'Learning the City: Knowledge and Translocal Assemblage' (Blackwell), a book focussed on the intersections between urban inequality, materiality, resistance and learning, as well as related edited collections, including: 'Infrastructural Lives: Urban Infrastructure in Context' (Earthscan-Routledge, with Steve Graham), 'Urban Navigations: Politics, Space and the City in South Asia' (Routledge, with Jonathan Anjaria), and 'Urban Informalities: Reflections on the Formal and Informal' (Ashgate, with Michael Waibel).
In 2013, he was awarded the Leverhulme Prize for his research in urban geogrpahy. In 2010, he was awarded the Gill Memorial Award from the Royal Geographical Society for contributions to urban geography, and in 2009 a fellowship for his work on sanitation from Berlin's Irmgard Coninx Foundation in conjunction with Humboldt University.
- McFarlane, C., Silver, J. & Truelove, Y. Cities within Cities: Intra-Urban Comparison of Infrastructure in Mumbai, Delhi and Cape Town. Urban Geography. Published;Forthcoming.
- McFarlane, C. & Silver, J. Navigating the city: dialectics of everyday urbanism. Transactions of the Institute for British Geographers. 2017;42:458-471.
- McFarlane, C. & Söderström, O. On alternative smart cities: from a technology-intensive to a knowledge-intensive smart urbanism. City. 2017;Forthcoming.
- McFarlane, C. & Silver, J. The Poolitical City: “Seeing Sanitation” and Making the Urban Political in Cape Town. Antipode. 2017;49:125-148.
- Bulkeley, H., Luque-Ayala, A., McFarlane, C. & MacLeod, G. Enhancing urban autonomy: towards a new political project for cities. Urban Studies. 2016;Forthcoming.
- Lancione, M. & McFarlane, C. Life at the urban margins: sanitation infra-making and the potential of experimental comparison. Environment and Planning A. 2016;48:2402-2421.
- McFarlane, C. The Geographies of Urban Density: Topology, Politics and the City. Progress in Human Geography. 2016;40:629-648.
- McFarlane, C. & Desai, R. Sites of entitlement claim, negotiation and struggle in Mumbai. Environment and urbanization. 2015;27:441-454.
- Desai, R., McFarlane, C. & Graham, S. The politics of open defecation: informality, body, and infrastructure in Mumbai. Antipode. 2015;47:98-120.
- Mizanur, M.R., Atkins, P.J. & McFarlane, C. 'Factors affecting slum sanitation projects in Dhaka City: learning from the dynamics of social-technological-governance systems'. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development. 2014;4:346-358.
- McFarlane, C, Desai, R. & Graham, S. Informal Urban Sanitation: Everyday Life, Comparison and Poverty. Annals of the Association of American Geographers. 2014;104:989-1011.
- MacLeod, D.G. & McFarlane, C. Introduction: Grammars of Urban Injustice. Antipode. 2014;46:857-873.
- McFarlane, C. From sanitation inequality to malevolent urbanism: the normalisation of suffering in Mumbai. Geoforum. 2013;43:1287-1290.
- Graham, S., McFarlane, C. & Desai, R. Water wars in Mumbai. Public Culture. 2013;25:115-141
- Anderson, B., Kearnes, M., McFarlane, C. & Swanton, D. On assemblages and geography. Dialogues in Human Geography. 2012;2:171-189.
- Jeffrey, A., McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. Rethinking enclosure: space, subjectivity, and the commons. Antipode. 2012;44:1247-1267.
- McFarlane, C. Rethinking informality: politics, crisis and the city. Planning Theory and Practice. 2012;13:89-108.
- McFarlane, C. The entrepreneurial slum: civil society, mobility, and the co-production of urban development. Urban Studies. 2012;49:2926-2947.
- McFarlane, C. Assemblage and critical urbanism. City. 2011;15:204-224.
- McFarlane, C. Encountering, describing and transforming urbanism: concluding reflections on assemblage and urban criticality. City. 2011;15:731-739.
- McFarlane, C. On context: assemblage, political economy and structure. City. 2011;15:375-388.
- McFarlane, C. The city as a machine for learning. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. 2011;36:360-376.
- McFarlane, C. The city as assemblage: dwelling and urban space. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. 2011;29:649-671.
- McFarlane, C. The Comparative City: Knowledge, Learning, Urbanism. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research. 2010;34:725-742.
- Jazeel, T. & McFarlane, C. The limits of responsibility: a postcolonial politics of academic knowledge production. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. 2010;35:109-124.
- McFarlane, C. Translocal assemblages: space, power and social movements. Geoforum. 2009;40:561-567.
- McFarlane, C. Governing the contaminated city: infrastructure and sanitation in colonial and postcolonial Bombay. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research. 2008;32:415-435.
- Jeffrey, A., McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. Guest Editors Introduction: Debating Capital, Spectacle and Modernity. Public Culture. 2008;20:531-538.
- McFarlane, C. Postcolonial Bombay: decline of a cosmopolitan city?. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. 2008;26:480-499. Reprinted with permission in the South Asian Journal for Culture (2010).
- McFarlane, C. Sanitation in Mumbai's informal settlements: state, 'slum' and infrastructure. Environment and Planning A. 2008;40:88-107.
- Vasudevan, A., McFarlane, C. & Jeffrey, A. Spaces of Enclosure. Geoforum. 2008;39:1641–1646.
- McFarlane, C. Urban Shadows: Materiality, the 'Southern city', and Urban Theory. Geography Compass. 2008;2:340-358.
- Jazeel, T. & McFarlane, C. Responsible Learning: Cultures of Knowledge Production and the North-South Divide. Antipode. 2007;39:781-789.
- McFarlane, C. Crossing Borders: development, learning and the North-South divide. Third World Quarterly. 2006;27:1413-1437.
- McFarlane, C. Knowledge, learning and development: a post-rationalist approach. Progress in Development Studies. 2006;6:287-305.
- McFarlane, C. Transnational development networks: bringing development and postcolonial approaches into dialogue. The Geographical Journal. 2006;172:35-49.
- McFarlane, C. Geographical Imaginations and spaces of political engagement: Examples from the Indian Alliance. Antipode. 2004;36:890-916.
- McFarlane, C., Desai, R. & Graham, S. Everyday Sanitation: Informal Settlements in Mumbai. Durham University/AlphaGraphics; 2011.
- McFarlane, C. Learning the city: knowledge and translocal assemblage. Oxford: Wiley Blackwell; 2011.
Chapter in book
- McFarlane, C. Urban fragments: a subaltern studies imagination. In: Jazeel, T. & Legg, S. Subaltern Geographies. Georgia University Press; Accepted.
- McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. Informal Infrastructures. In: Adey, P., Bissell, D., Hannam, K., Merriman, P. & Sheller, M. Handbook of Mobilities. Routledge; 2014:256-264.
- McFarlane, C., Desai, R. & Graham, S. Politics of sanitation: Informality and the constitution of urban metabolic life in Mumbai. In: Shrestha, K., Ojha, H.R., McManus, P. Rubbo, A. & Dhote, K.K. Inclusive Urbanization: Rethinking Policy and Practice in the Age of Climate Change. Guilford Press; 2014.
- Luque, A., McFarlane, C. & Marvin, S. Smart urbanism: cities, grids and alternatives?. In: Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. After Sustainable Cities?. Routeldge; 2014:74-90.
- McFarlane, C. Studies in Comparative Urbanism. In: Desai, V. & Potter, R. Companion to Development Studies. Hodder Education; 2014:296-298.
- Anjaria, J.S. & McFarlane, C. Conceptualising the City in South Asia. In: Anjaria, J.S. & McFarlane, C. Urban Navigations: Politics, Space and the City in South Asia. New Delhi and London: Routledge; 2011:1-22.
- McFarlane, C. Sanitation in Mumbai's Informal Settlements: Governance, Infrastructure, and Cost Recovery. In: Bade, K.J, Lorentz, B. & Pries, L. Migration and Integration: Reflections on Our Common Future. Europaische Verlagsanstalt, Leipzig; 2011:123-136.
- McFarlane, C. Entries for 'Mumbai' and 'Squatter Movements'. In: Hutchison, R., Aalbers, M., Beauregard, R. & Crang, M. Encyclopedia of Urban Studies. London: Sage; 2010.
- McFarlane, C. Everyday interruptions: urban life in the global South. In: Graham, S.D.N. Disrupted Cities: When Infrastructure Fails. New York: Routledge; 2010.
- Marvin, S., Luque-Ayala, A. & McFarlane, C. Smart Urbanism: Utopian Vision or False Dawn?. Routledge; 2016.
- Graham, S. & McFarlane, C. Infrastructural Lives: Politics, Experience and the Urban Fabric. Earthscan-Routledge; 2015.
- McFarlane, C. & Waibel, M. Urban Informalities: Reflections on the Formal and Informal. Ashgate; 2012.
- Anjaria, J.S. & McFarlane, C. Urban Navigations: Politics, Space and the City in South Asia. London and New Delhi: Routledge; 2010.
- McFarlane, C. Book review forum: David Harvey, Cosmopolitanism and the Geographies of Freedom. New York: Columbia University Press, 2009; 352 pp.: 9780231148467, US$27.50/£19 (hbk). Dialogues in Human Geography. 2011;1:107-110.
- Jeffrey, A., McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. Spectacle, State, Modernity: A Commentary on Retort's “Afflicted Powers”. Geopolitics. 2007;12:206-222.
- McFarlane, C. & Robinson, J. Experiments in Comparative Urbanism. Urban Geography, 33 (6, 765-773): 2012.
- Anderson, B. & McFarlane, C. Introduction and Conclusion to Special Issue on 'Assemblage and Geography'. Area, 43 (2): 2011.
- Jeffrey, A., McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. Introduction: A Symposium on Global Shadows. Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 29, 251-253 2008.
- Legg, S. & McFarlane, C. Ordinary urban spaces: between postcolonialism and development. Environment and Planning A, 40 (1, 6-14): 2008.
- Jeffrey, C. & McFarlane, C. Performing Cosmopolitanism: Introduction to the Special Issue. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 26 (3, 420-427): 2008.
- McFarlane, C. & Rutherford, J. Political Infrastructures: Governing and Experiencing the Fabric of the City. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 32 (2, 363-74): 2008.
Available for media contact about:
- Citizenship, state and governance: Cities; urban development; urban politics; urban India.
- 2015: IAA - TESTING THE POTENTIAL OF SELF-BUILDING (£6319.05 from ESRC)
- 2014: Philip Leverhulme Prize (£70000.00 from The Leverhulme Trust)
- 2011: Assembling Smart Cities (£4700.00 from One NorthEast)
- 2009: EVERYDAY SANITATION (£175375.21 from ESRC)
- 2008: EVERYDAY INFRASTRUCTURE (£3816.00 from British Council Manchester)