Professor Joe Painter, BA (Cambridge) PhD (Open University)
My current research focuses mainly on the prosaic geographies of the state. I am interested in both the everyday lives of state institutions and actors and the manifestation of what Timothy Mitchell calls the 'effect of the state' in the everyday lives of people and places. One strand of this work considers how mundane socio-technical practices (such as accounting, statistical analysis, economic modelling, bureaucratic record-keeping and strategizing) generate specific state effects and state geographies. Another strand will look at the incomplete, uneven, but often intensive and unnoticed permeation of 'stateness' into diverse aspects of social life.
I was born in London and grew up in Hertfordshire and then in Dorset, where I went to Weymouth Grammar School (now Budmouth College). After seven months' voluntary work in rural India in 1984, I took up a place to study geography at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge University, graduating in 1987. I then moved to the Open University to do research for a PhD on the geography of trade unionism in Britain under the supervision of Doreen Massey and John Allen. In 1990 I joined the University of Wales, Lampeter (then St David's University College) as Lecturer in Geography. I moved to Durham in 1993, first as Lecturer, then as Reader (2000), Professor (2004) and Head of Department (2010-2013). I spent 12 months as a visiting fellow at the Australian National University in Canberra (2004-05). I have also held visiting positions at the University of Cambridge and the University of British Columbia, among others.
- Community Learning and Research Network (CLARN)
- Reframing Citizen Relationships with the Public Sector in a Time of Austerity: Community Empowerment in England and Scotland
- Political geography
- Geographies of the state and citizenship
- Urban and regional theory
- Urban politics and governance
- Regionalism and regionality in Europe
- Papoutsi, A., Painter, J., Papada, E. & Vradis, A. The EC hotspot approach in Greece: creating liminal EU territory. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. 2018.
- Daley, P., McCann, E., Mountz, A. & Painter, J. Editorial. Re-imagining Politics and Space: Why here, why now?. Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space. 2017;35:3-5.
- Painter, J., Papada, E., Papoutsi, A. & Vradis, A. Hotspot politics―or, when the EU state gets real. Political Geography. 2017;60:259-260.
- Painter, J. Why we need to talk about money. Soundings: a Journal of Politics and Culture. 2017;66:34-39.
- Painter, J. Doreen Massey (1944-2016): an appreciation. Soundings: a Journal of Politics and Culture. 2016;63:38-44.
- Sharp, J., Cumbers, A., Painter, J. & Wood, N. Deciding whose future? Challenges and opportunities of the Scottish Independence Referendum 2014 for Scotland and beyond. Political Geography. 2014;41:32-42.
- Painter, J. Regional biopolitics. Regional Studies. 2012;47:1235-1248.
- Painter, J. The politics of the neighbour. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. 2012;30:515-533.
- Painter, J. Rethinking territory. Antipode: A Radical Journal of Geography. 2010;42:1090-1118.
- Robinson, F., Zass-Ogilvie, I. & Painter, J. Brownfield regeneration and the public understanding of risks to health: a scoping study. Northern Economic Review. 2009;39:27-54.
- Bickerstaff, K., Bulkeley, H. & Painter, J. Symposium: Justice, nature and the city. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research. 2009;33:591-600.
- Painter, J. Cartographic anxiety and the search for regionality. Environment and Planning A. 2008;40:342-361.
- Painter, J. European citizenship and the regions. European Urban and Regional Studies. 2008;15:5-19.
- Chaturvedi, S. & Painter, J. Whose world, whose order? Spatiality, geopolitics and the limits of the world order concept. Cooperation and Conflict. 2007;42:375-395.
- Painter, J. Prosaic geographies of stateness. Political Geography. 2006;25:752-774.
- Bialasiewicz, L., Elden, S. & Painter, J. The Constitution of EU territory. Comparative European Politics. 2005;3:333-363.
- Vradis, A., Papada, E., Painter, J. & Papoutsi, A. New Borders: Hotspots and the European Migration Regime. Pluto Books; 2018.
- Painter, J. & Jeffrey, A. Geografia politica. Novara: UTET; 2011.
- Painter, J. & Jeffrey, A. Political geography: an introduction to space and power. London: Sage; 2009.
- Cloke, P., Cook, I., Crang, P., Goodwin, M., Painter, J. & Philo, C. Practising human geography. London: Sage; 2004.
- Painter, J. Politics, geography and 'political geography': a critical perspective. London: Edward Arnold; 1995.
Chapter in book
- Lewis, S., Hudson, M. & Painter, J. Revealing a 'Hidden Civil War': a serendipitous methodology. In: Plows, A. Messy ethnographies in action. Vernon Press; 2018:13-22.
- Painter, J. Power. In: Agnew, J., Mamadouh, V., Secor, A.J. & Sharp, J. The Wiley Blackwell companion to political geography. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell; 2015:141-151.
- Painter, J. Conceptualizing "society" and "state". In: Mitchneck, B.A. State, society, and transformation. Washington, DC: Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars; 2011:20-49.
- Painter, J. Territoire et réseau: une fausse dichotomie? = Territory and network: a false dichotomy?. In: Vanier, M Territoires, territorialité, territorialisation: controverses et perspectives = Territories, territoriality, territorialisation: controversies and perspectives. Rennes: Presses Universitaires de Rennes; 2009:57-66.
- Painter, J. Territorio/rete = Territory/network. In: dell'Agnese, E. Geo-grafia: strumenti e parole. Milan: Edizioni Unicopli; 2009:137-163.
- Painter, J. Urbanism lite. In: Amin, A. & O'Neill, M. Thinking about almost everything. London: Profile Books; 2009:102-103.
- Painter, J. Geographies of space and power. In: Cox, K., Low, M. & Robinson, J. The SAGE handbook of political geography. London: Sage; 2008:57-72.
- Painter, J. Governmentality and regional economic strategies. In: Hillier, J. & Rooksby, E. Habitus: A Sense of Place. Aldershot: Ashgate; 2005:131-157.
- Featherstone, D. & Painter, J. Spatial politics: essays for Doreen Massey. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell; 2013.
- Atkinson, S., Fuller, S. & Painter, J. Wellbeing and place. Farnham: Ashgate; 2012.
- Painter, J. Territory-network. Chicago, USA: Association of American Geographers. Annual Meeting; 2006.
- Painter, J., Orton, A., MacLeod, D.G., Dominelli, L. & Pande, R. Connecting localism and community empowerment: research review and critical synthesis for the AHRC Connected Community Programme. 2011.
- Painter, J. Urban citizenship and rights to the city. 2005;23.
- International Critical Geography Group
- Interview with Joe Painter on www.exploringgeopolitics.org
- Joe Painter's personal website
Available for media contact about:
- Geography: Regional Politics and Government
- Regional Affairs: Regional Politics and Government
- Geography: Cities and urban development
- Europe: Politics, institutions & law: European citizenship and identity
- Citizenship, state and governance: European citizenship and identity
- 2015: Urgent Invite - GRentry: Documenting and Mapping the Unfolding Migrant Crisis at the EU/Greek Entry Point (£117604.00 from ESRC)
- 2014: Cofund Round 4 (£81311.00 from European Commission)
- 2012: Localism, Narrative and Myth (£4340.00 from Arts and Humanities Research Council)
- 2012: Reframing Citizen Relationships with the Public Sector in a Time of Austerity: Community Empowerment in England and Scotland (£23964.12 from Arts and Humanities Research Council)
- 2011: Connecting Localism and Community Empowerment (£17656.46 from Arts and Humanities Research Council)
- 2005: Transnational Spaces of Citizenship & Belonging in (£29340.13 from ESRC)
- 1999: EUROPEAN CITIZENSHIP (£128991.00 from ESRC)
- 1998: OVERVIEW OF PROJECT REPORTS (£2100.00 from ESRC)