Dr Laura Tozer
- PhD, Geography, University of Toronto
- MA, Geography, University of Toronto
- BSc, Environmental Sciences, University of Guelph
My research focuses on the governance of low carbon and urban sustainability transitions, especially the policies and political dynamics governing these complex transformations. Drawing on my interdisciplinary training, my work engages theoretically with critical geographies of energy and climate change, political theories of systemic change, and theories of knowledge production from science and technology studies. Principally, my research develops innovative ways to understand transformative change to address climate change (particularly through the implementation of renewable energy and building energy efficiency); examines ways of advancing social justice through urban climate change resiliency; and analyses how ideas about the future of energy (e.g. forecasts, scenarios, roadmaps) influence decisions made today.
I am affiliated with the NATURVATION project, where my postdoctoral research focuses on the ways that nature is being used to try to solve urban sustainability problems in Cape Town, especially as it relates to issues of justice and climate change resilience.
Previously, I was Director of Operations for the Community Energy Partnerships Program, a $10 million dollar grant program that provided funding for community groups and cooperatives developing renewable energy projects in Ontario, Canada.
- Tozer, Laura & Klenk, Nicole Discourses of carbon neutrality and imaginaries of urban futures. Energy Research & Social Science. 2018;35:174-181.
- Tozer, Laura Urban climate change and sustainability planning: an analysis of sustainability and climate change discourses in local government plans in Canada. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. 2018;61:176-194.
- Tozer, Laura Community energy plans in Canadian cities: success and barriers in implementation. Local Environment. 2013;18:20-35.
- Prno, Jason, Bradshaw, Ben, Wandel, Johanna, Pearce, Tristan, Smit, Barry & Tozer, Laura Community vulnerability to climate change in the context of other exposure-sensitivities in Kugluktuk, Nunavut. Polar Research. 2011;30:7363.
Chapter in book
- Hughes, S., Tozer, L. & Geist, S. The Politics of Data-Driven Urban Climate Change Mitigation. In: van der Heijden, J., Bulkeley, H. & Certomà, C. The Politics of Urban Climate Futures. Forthcoming.
- Tozer, Laura What is ‘carbon neutral’? Planning urban deep decarbonization in North American cities. In: Luque-Ayala, A., Bulkeley, H. & Marvin, S. Rethinking Urban Transitions: Politics in the Low Carbon City. Routledge; 2018.