Dr Helen F Wilson
Biography and Research
I am a cultural and social geographer interested in the geographies of difference – both human and non-human. I joined the Department of Geography in 2017 following a Senior Lectureship at the University of Manchester, and previous positions at the University of Hull and Durham University. I completed a BA, MA, and PhD (2011) at Durham University.
My work is broadly concerned with understanding how difference and otherness takes shape in different contexts, with a particular interest in narratives of ‘living-with’.
Chief research interests include: geographies of encounter; difference; affect and emotion; cultural theory and studies; animal studies; geographies of education; race and racism; multiculture; cities; violence; relationality
- Anderson, B. & Wilson, H.F. Everyday Brexits. Area. 2018;50:291-295.
- Wilson, Helen F. On geography and encounter. Progress in Human Geography. 2017;41:451-471.
- Wilson, Helen F. On the Paradox of ‘Organised’ Encounter. Journal of Intercultural Studies. 2017;38:606-620.
- Wilson, Helen F. An urban laboratory for the multicultural nation?. Ethnicities. 2015;15:586-604.
- Wilson, Helen F. Multicultural learning: parent encounters with difference in a Birmingham primary school. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. 2014;39:102-114.
- Wilson, Helen F. The Possibilities of Tolerance: Intercultural Dialogue in a Multicultural Europe. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. 2014;32:852-868.
- Wilson, Helen F. Collective life: parents, playground encounters and the multicultural city. Social & Cultural Geography. 2013;14:625-648.
- Wilson, Helen F. Learning to think differently: Diversity training and the ‘good encounter’. Geoforum. 2013;45:73-82.
- Wilson, Helen F. Post-socialist Cities and Urban Studies: Transformation and Continuity in Eurasia. Urban Studies. 2013;50:3463-3471.
- Wilson, H.F. Living with difference and the conditions for dialogue. Dialogues in Human Geography. 2012;2:225-227.
- Wilson, H.F. Passing Propinquities in the Multicultural City: the everyday encounters of bus passengering. Environment and Planning A. 2011;43:634-649.
Chapter in book
- Wilson, Helen F. Animal Encounters: a genre of contact. In: Bohm, A. & Ullrich, J. Animal Encounters. Rombach Verlag; 2019.
- Wilson, Helen F, Burman, E, Miles, S & Warren, S Other(ed) childhoods: supplementary schools and the politics of learning. In: Von Benzon, N. & Wilkinson, C. Intersectionality and Difference in Childhood and Youth: Global Perspectives. Routledge; 2019.
- Wilson, Helen F On the paradox of 'organised' encounter. In: Christiansen, Lene Bull, Galal, Lise Paulsen & Hvenegard-Lassen,Kirsten Cultural Encounters as Intervention Practices. Routledge; 2018.
- Wilson, Helen F. Building Coalitions: Solidarities, friendships, and tackling inequality. In: Oosterlynck, S., Schuermans, N. & Loopmans, M. Place, Diversity and Solidarity. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge; 2017:51-70.
- Wilson, Helen F. Encountering Havana: texts, aesthetics, and documentary encounters. In: Darling, J. & Wilson, H.F Encountering the City: Urban Encounters from Accra to New York. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge; 2016:203-220.
- Wilson, Helen F. Encounters. In: Jayne, M. & Ward, K. Urban Theory: New Critical Perspectives. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge; 2016:109-121.
- Wilson, Helen F. Sonic geographies, sound walks and more-than-representational methods. In: Bull, M. & Back, L. The Auditory Culture Reader. Bloomsbury; 2016:163-172.
- Wilson, Helen F. & Darling, Jonathan The possibilities of encounter. In: Wilson, Helen F. & Darling, Jonathan Encountering the City: Urban Encounters from Accra to New York. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge; 2016:1-24.
- Darling, Jonathan & Wilson, Helen F. Encountering the City: Urban Encounters from Accra to New York. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge; 2016.
- Wilson, Helen F. The rise of intolerance? Brexit and the problem with stasis. 2017;25-27.