Dr David Small
My research focuses on understanding how ice sheets have responded to past climate change with the aim of providing information that can help us better understand the future of the present day ice sheets in Antarctica and Greenland. I primarily use surface exposure dating to constrain when and how quickly past ice sheets deglaciated. By combining this information with records of past climate change we can understand how factors such as climate and topography influence the ice sheets behaviour.
My previous work has focussed on the former British-Irish Ice Sheet as part of the BRITICE-CHRONO NERC consortium. My role in this project involved numeous geochronological sampling campaigns and quality assurance of legacy geochronological data. My role at Durham will see my switch my focus to the Southern Hemisphere to try to understand past changes in Antarctica and what they might mean for understanding the future.
- 1: Small, D., Pittard, M., Whitehouse, P., Jones, R. & Bentley, M. Antarctic ice sheet palaeo-thinning rates from vertical transects of cosmogenic exposure ages. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2019;206:65-80.
- 2: Ely, Jeremy C., Clark, Chris D., Small, David & Hindmarsh, Richard C. A. ATAT 1.1, the Automated Timing Accordance Tool for comparing ice-sheet model output with geochronological data. Geoscientific Model Development. 2019;12:933-953.
- 3: Wilson, Peter, Ballantyne, Colin K., Benetti, Sara, Small, David, Fabel, Derek & Clark, Chris D. Deglaciation chronology of the Donegal Ice Centre, north‐west Ireland. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2019;34:16-28.
- 4: Bradwell, Tom, Small, David, Fabel, Derek, Smedley, Rachel K., Clark, Chris C., Saher, Margot H., Callard, S. Louise, Chiverrell, Richard C., Dove, Dayton, Moreton, Steven G., Roberts, David H., Duller, Geoff A.T. & Ó Cofaigh, Colm Ice-stream demise dynamically conditioned by trough shape and bed strength. Science Advances. 2019;5:eaau1380.
- 5: Jones, R.S., Small, D., Cahill, N., Bentley, M.J. & Whitehouse, P.L. iceTEA: Tools for plotting and analysing cosmogenic-nuclide surface-exposure data from former ice margins. Quaternary Geochronology. 2019;51:72-86.
- 6: Ely, J.C., Clark, C.D., Hindmarsh, R.C.A, Hughes, A.L.C, Greenwood, S.L., Bradley, S.L., Gasson, E., Gregoire, L., Gandy, N., Stokes, C.R. & Small, D. Recent progress on combining geomorphological and geochronological data with ice 1 sheet modelling, demonstrated using the last British-Irish Ice Sheet. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2019.
- 7: Callard, S.L., Ó Cofaigh, C., Benetti, S., Chiverrell, R.C., Van Landeghem, K.J.J., Saher, M.H., Gales, J.A., Small, D., Clark, C.D., Livingstone, S.J., Fabel, D. & Moreton, S.G. Extent and retreat history of the Barra Fan Ice Stream offshore western Scotland and northern Ireland during the last glaciation. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2018;201:280-302.
- 8: Chiverrell, R. C., Smedley, R. K., Small, D., Ballantyne, C. K., Burke, M. J., Callard, S. L., Clark, C. D., Duller, G. A. T., Evans, D. J. A., Fabel, D., van Landeghem, K., Livingstone, S., Ó Cofaigh, C., Thomas, G. S. P., Roberts, D. H., Saher, M., Scourse, J. D. & Wilson, P. Ice margin oscillations during deglaciation of the northern Irish Sea Basin. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2018;33:739-762.
- 9: Ballantyne, Colin K. & Small, David The Last Scottish Ice Sheet. Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. 2019;110:93-131.
- 10: Small, D., Smedley, R.K., Chiverrell, R.C., Scourse, J.D., Ó Cofaigh, C., Duller, G.A.T., McCarron, S., Burke, M.J., Evans, D.J.A., Fabel, D., Gheorghiu, D.M., Thomas, G.S.P., Xu, S. & Clark, C.D. Trough geometry was a greater influence than climate-ocean forcing in regulating retreat of the marine-based Irish-Sea Ice Stream. Geological Society of America Bulletin. 2018;130:1981-1999.
- 13: Smedley, R.K., Chiverrell, R.C., Ballantyne, C.K., Burke, M.J., Clark, C.D., Duller, G.A.T., Fabel, D., McCarroll, D., Scourse, J.D., Small, D. & Thomas, G.S.P. Internal dynamics condition centennial-scale oscillations in marine-based ice-stream retreat. Geology. 2017;45:787-790.
- Bradwell, Tom, Small, David, Fabel, Derek, Clark, Chris D., Chiverrell, Richard C., Saher, Margot H., Dove, Dayton, Callard, S. Louise, Burke, Matthew J., Moreton, Steven G., Medialdea, Alicia, Bateman, Mark D., Roberts, David H., Golledge, Nicholas R., Finlayson, Andrew, Morgan, Sally & Cofaigh, Colm Ó Pattern, style and timing of British–Irish Ice Sheet retreat: Shetland and northern North Sea sector. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2019.