Dr Bregje van Veelen
I work on the REINVENT project: Realising Innovation in Transitions for Decarbonisation, where I analyse the governance of decarbonisation efforts in 'hard to reach' sectors, such as plastics and agriculture. Prior to this I completed my PhD at the University of Edinburgh, where my research focused on the governance of community renewable energy projects. I am particularly interested in how these projects fit within a wider community/localism agenda, and what the democratic implications are of these emerging governance arrangements. I have also worked on a project commissioned by the Scottish Government which looked at the potential for community investment in commercial renewable energy schemes, and spent six months working at the Scottish Government, where I helped to develop a new community landownership strategy.
- PhD, Human Geography, University of Edinburgh
- MSc, Environmental Sustainability, University of Edinburgh
- MA, Geography & International Relations, University of Aberdeen
- Creamer, Emily, Eadson, Will, van Veelen, Bregje, Pinker, Annabel, Tingey, Margaret, Braunholtz-Speight, Tim, Markantoni, Marianna Foden, Mike & Lacey-Barnacle, Max Community Energy: entanglements of community, state, and private sector. Geography Compass. 2018;12:e12378.
- van Veelen, Bregje Negotiating energy democracy in practice: governance processes in community energy projects. Environmental Politics. 2018;27:644-665.
- van Veelen, Bregje & van der Horst, Dan What is Energy Democracy? Connecting social science energy research and political theory. Energy Research & Social Science. 2018;46:19-28.
- van Veelen, Bregje Making Sense of the Scottish Community Energy Sector – An Organising Typology. Scottish Geographical Journal. 2017;133:1-20.
- Frantál, Bohumil, Bevk, Tadej, Van Veelen, Bregje, Hărmănescu, Mihaela & Benediktsson, Karl The importance of on-site evaluation for placing renewable energy in the landscape: A case study of the Búrfell wind farm (Iceland). Moravian Geographical Reports. 2017;25:234-247.
- van Veelen, Bregje & Haggett, Claire Uncommon ground: The role of different place attachments in explaining community renewable energy projects. Sociologia Ruralis. 2017;57:533-554.
- van Veelen, Bregje Book review: The new Oxford handbook of economic geography. Local Environment. 2018;23:900-901.
- van Veelen, Bregje Book review: Democratizing inequalities. Social Movement Studies. 2016;15:650-651.
- van Veelen, Bregje European climate change case studies: Strategy for heat - The Netherlands. 2017.
- Hagget, Claire, Aitken, Mhairi Rudoplh, David, van Veelen, Bregje, Harnmeijer, Jelte & Markantoni, Marianna Supporting Community Investment in Commercial Renewable Energy Schemes: Final Report. 2014.