Dr Louise Callard
My research focus is on reconstructing Late Quaternary environmental change using a combination of micropalaeontology, sedimentology and dating techniques. I am currently working on two NERC funded projects that use marine geological techniques and sediment cores to reconstruct post glacial relative sea-level change and the pattern and timing of ice retreat in the British Isle. My previous research includes the reconstruction of past vegetation and climate change in New Zealand over the past 40,000 yrs and using salt-marsh foraminifera to reconstruct relative sea-level change in Tasmania over the past 200 yrs.
- Late Quaternary sea-level and environmental change
- Palaeoclimate reconstructions
- Arosio, Riccardo, Crocket, Kirsty C., Nowell, Geoffrey M., Louise Callard, S., Howe, John A., Benetti, Sara, Fabel, Derek, Moreton, Steve & Clark, Chris D. Weathering fluxes and sediment provenance on the SW Scottish shelf during the last deglaciation. Marine Geology. 2017.
- Moss, P. T., Gehrels, W. R. & Callard, S. L. European impacts on coastal eastern Tasmania: Insights from a high-resolution palynological analysis of a salt-marsh core. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. 2016;4:105.
- Ryan, M.T., Newnham, R.M., Dunbar, G.B., Vandergoes, M.J., Rees, A.B.H., Neil, H., Callard, S.L., Alloway, B.V., Bostock, H., Hua, Q. & Anderson, B.M. Exploring the source-to-sink residence time of terrestrial pollen deposited offshore Westland, New Zealand. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology. 2016;230:37-46.
- Plets, R.M.K., Callard, S.L., Cooper, J.A.G., Long, A.J., Quinn, R.J., Belknap, D.F., Edwards, R.J., Jackson, D.W.T., Kelley, J.T., Long, D., Milne, G.A. & Monteys, X. Late Quaternary evolution and sea-level history of a glaciated marine embayment, Bantry Bay, SW Ireland. Marine Geology. 2015;369:251-272.
- Callard, S.L., Newnham,R.M., Vandergoes, M.J., Alloway, B.V. & Smith,C. The vegetation and climate during the Last Glacial Cold Period, northern South Island, New Zealand. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2013;74:230.
- Gehrels, W.R., Callard, S.L., Moss, P.T., Marshall, W.A., Blaaw, M., Hunter,J., Milton, J.A. & Garnett, M.H. Nineteenth and twentieth century sea-level changes in Tasmania and New Zealand. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 2012;315-316:94.
- Callard, S.L., Gehrels, W.R., Morrison, B.V. & Grenfell, H.R. Suitability of salt-marsh foraminifera as proxy indicators of sea level in Tasmania. Marine Micropaleontology. 2011;79:121.
- Callard, S.L The Last Glacial Maximum and Deglaciation in Southern New Zealand: New Pollen-Climate Reconstructions. 2011.