About the College
Collingwood College was founded in 1972 as the first purpose-built mixed college in Durham University and named in memory of Sir Edward Collingwood.
The College was originally designed for around 260 students, all in individual rooms (which was very unusual at the time); it was set in nice grounds on the outskirts of the city, just next door to the University's Botanic Garden, with a water feature, and a tennis-court, and good gardens
In 1992, Collingwood doubled its size. It built a series of new wings with over 200 spacious ensuite rooms around a croquet-lawn and amphitheatre. The Penthouse Suite, a purpose built conference centre, was also built at this time.
Collingwood has around 1100 students studying or researching nearly all the subjects taught in Durham. About 550 live in the College: all the first-years, a good majority of finalists, and some graduates.