Current Staff Information
Dr Teti Dragas, MA Manchester, PhD, Durham; RSA DELTA, SFHEA
I am an Associate Professor (Teaching) in English Language Teaching and Teacher Education in Durham Centre for Academic Development (DCAD). I work across two key fields: English language teacher education and academic proessional development.
Within Academic Professional Development, I lead of Durham's Professional Recognition Pathway which supports colleagues to achieve HEA Fellowship (Fellow, Senior Fellow) through an experiential routen and I teach on the PGCLTHE (Postgraduate Certificate for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education). I am also part of a team that is working on a 400K European ERASMUS + funding project ‘Intercultural Reflection on Teaching’ which aims to support academic development across HE in Europe, working with colleagues in the University of Frankfurt, Germany and the University of Padua, Italy. https://sites.durham.ac.uk/intref/
I have extensive experience in English language teaching and teacher education, having worked in the field for twenty years, teaching and managing programmes within General English, EAP and teacher education. From 2011-18, I was Director of the MA TESOL Programmes during which time I worked to build and develop the two programmes (MA TESOL and MA Applied Linguistics for TESOL) leading a successful programme curriculum development and supporting the development of a large majority of modules across the curriculum. I convene modules that aim to train new practitioners and develop experienced practitioners through an exploration of both theoretical and practical issues pertinent to the language classroom. I also convene a module in teacher education (Second Language Teacher Education in Practice) which explores how we might go about the education of language teachers, identifying approaches to training and development that serve to aid teacher trainers and educators in their practice.
My PhD is in Contemporary Literature and I have also taught and led a number of UG modules in this field at Durham University and at the University of Sunderland. My monograph (Bloomsbury) explored contemporary literary works through a focus on the storyteller a storytelling. In the last few years I have began to bring my humanities research and pedagogic scholarship and experience together and am leading a number of projects working with colleagues in a number of departments across the institution exploring the affordances of Digital Storytelling to support learning discipline-specific contexts.
My research interests come out of my teaching and experience in the field of language education, culture and narrative. In addition to my work in storytelling, specifically in the field of English Language Teacher Education and Academic Professional Development I have focused on the affordances of reflective practice exploring to aid teacher development through the use of video and digital tools. I am also developing research on 'culture' and the intercultural specifically to the training and development of 'international/global' teachers of English.
I am currently supervising PhD students in collaboration with colleagues from the School of Education in the field of intercultural communication, teacher education, English Language Materials and Storytelling.
School of Education
- IntRef Project: Intercultural Reflection on Teaching
- Academic Professional Development & Education
- Culture and Intercultural Communication
- Language Teaching Methodology
- Materials Development
- Second Language Teacher Education
- (Digital) Storytelling & Pedagogy
Chapter in book
- Walsh, Steve & Mann, Steve (2019). Embedding Reflective Practice in an INSET Course. In The Routledge Handbook of English Language Teacher Education. Routledge. 138-154.
- Dragas, Teti (2019), From Feedback to Reflection: A video-based approach to scaffolding reflection, in Pattison, Tania eds, IATEFL Liverpool Conference Selections 2019. Liverpool, IATEFL.
- Dragas, T. (2018), Professional Development for Teacher Trainers: a neglected area?, in Pattison, T. eds, IATEFL 2018 Conference Selections. Brighton, UK, 230-1.
- Dragas, T. (2017), Teacher Development through Bespoke Video Training Materials: Challenges and Successes, in Pattison, T. eds, IATEFL 2017 Glasgow Conference Selections. Glasgow, 2-4 April 2017, 232-4.
- Reimann, N., Rattray, J, Murray, M, Dragas,T., Thompson, J., Hansen, M., Fabriz, S. & Mendzheritskaya, J. (2017), The potential of intercultural reflection for enhancing teaching and internationalising academic development, Society for Research into Higher Education Conference. Newport, Wales, 6-8 December 2017.
- Dragas, T. (2016), Exploring In-house Video Training Materials for Reflective Teacher Development, in Pattison, T. eds, IATEFL 2016 Birmingham Conference Selections. Birmingham, UK, IATEFL Association, 232-3.
- Dragas, T. & Kendall, L.A. (2015), Training International Teachers on a Masters Programme: A Reflective teaching Approach, in Pattison, T. eds, IATEFL: 49th International Conference, Manchester, 11-14 April 2015. Manchester, IATEFL, 20-22.
- Dragas, T. (2014), Exploring Culture and Cultures of Learning in Teacher Education, Harrogate 2014 IATEFL Conference Selections. Harrogate, IATEFL Association, 54-55.
- Dragas, T. (2020). Digital Storytelling in the higher education ‘classroom’ a discipline-specific approach. 9th International Digital Storytelling Conference, Loughborough University, 30 March-1 April 2020.
- Reimann, N, Dragas, T & Rajab, T (2019). ‘Intercultural Reflection on Teaching’. CultNET, Durham, 20-23 April 2019.
- Dragas, T. & Brown, A. (2019). Digital Storytelling as a pedagogic skills development practice for English Undergraduates. Durham Teaching and Learning Conference: Re-imagining the Curriculum’, Durham University, 9 September, 2019.
- Dragas, T. & Sumner, D. (2019). Reflections on using video in teaching practice at 2 UK-based teacher education courses. IH London: The Future of Training Conference, International House London, 9 November 2019.
- Dragas, T. (2018). Exploring Trainer Development: Stories, Experiences, Practices. IH London: Future of Training Conference, International House, London, 28-29 November 2018.
- Dragas, T. (2018). Sharing practices on student engagement: reflections from a language teacher educator. UK Lingua, Durham University, 21-22 April 2018.
- Tummons, J & Dragas, T (2017). Exploring tensions between developing and assessing critical reflective practice’. Assessment in Higher Education Annual Conference, Manchester, 28-9 June 2017.
- Dragas, T. (2017). International Postgraduate Dissertation Pedagogy: Aiding Transition into Academic Practice(s). 3 Rivers Conference: Transitions, Territories, Transformations, Teeside University, 17 March 2017.
- Dragas, T. & Buck, T. (2017). The Use of Narrative/ Storytelling in Higher Education Teaching. Durham University Annual Learning and Teaching Conference.’, Durham University, 14 September, 2017.
- Dragas, Teti & Holliday, A (2017). We are not who we think we are’. Complex interculturalities in a pedagogic research event: uncovering ‘hidden’ cultures and/or questioning research processes. Annual International Association of Language and International Conference Intercultural Communication (IALIC): Interrogating the 'Third Space': Negotiating meaning and performing 'culture', Edinburgh Napier, 19-20 June, 2017.
- Reimann, N., Thompson, J., Rattray, J., Murray,M., Dragas, T., Hansen, M., Mendzheritskaya, J. & Fabriz, S. (2016). ‘Piloting and developing intercultural reflection on teaching.’. CultNET, Durham University, 19-21 April 2018
- Dragas, T. & Tan, E. (2016). ‘The use of video in Reflective Teaching’. 3 Rivers Conference: Innovation in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Northumbria University, 18 March 2016.
- Dragas, T, Tan, E & Lesley, K (2016). Remix for Reflection: Using Video Editing for Reflective Teaching. Blackboard Conference, University of Gronigen, The Netherlands: 6-9 April 2016..
- Dragas, T. (2014). Exploring Culture and Cultures of Learning in Teacher Education. IATEFL 48th International Conference, Harrogate, 2-5 April 2014, IATEFL.
- Dragas, T. & Murphy, B. (2013). Exploring the Discourse of L2 Reflective Practitioners: A Chinese Language Education Context. British Association of Applied Linguistics Annual Conference: 'Opening new lines of communication in applied linguistics', Herriot-Watt University, Edinburgh. 5-7 September 2013.
- Dragas, A. (2014). The Return of the Storyteller in Contemporary Fiction. Bloomsbury: New York and London.
- Dragas, T. & Sumner, D. (2019), To Film or not to Film: Reflections on using video in teaching practice at 2 UK-based teacher education courses, ELT Research Seminar Series,. University of Sussex, 29 October 2019.