عربي ¦ 中文 (简体) ¦ 中文 (繁體) ¦ Русский язык
Welcome to the English Language Centre
The English Language Centre is a busy department which has a number of distinct functions.
As a support department we specialise in EAP (English for Academic Purposes) and through our Summer Pre-sessional and Year-round Pre-sessional programmes we prepare hundreds of international students for life in their academic departments. Our EAP provision also includes In-sessional courses which provide academic language and literacy support to international students throughout their studies. Through our Academic Writing Unit we offer tailored academic literacy and study skills support to students (home and international) in departments around the University.
Finally, we have considerable expertise in offering teacher development programmes to English Language Teachers.
Enhancing the Student Learning Experience
Louise Greener, Clare Carr and Alex Gooch have been awarded an 'Enhancing the Student Learning Experience' award for their project to create discipline-specific DALTs (Durham Academic Language Tests).
(18 Aug 2014) » More about Enhancing the Student Learning Experience
Guiding Hand Award
Steve Kirk was awarded the 'Guiding Hand' award in the annual DSU staff awards.
(18 Aug 2014) » More about Guiding Hand Award
Tuesday 21 April 2015
- Central Events: FIELD - A Journey in music and words in search of the Higgs 5:00pm onwards, Planetarium, Life Science Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4EP
Wednesday 22 April 2015
- Central Events: FIELD - A Journey in music and words in search of the Higgs until 6:00pm, Planetarium, Life Science Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4EP
Friday 24 April 2015
- Theology and Religion: Biblical Studies conference: a research day for undergraduates, postgraduates and academics 10:00am to 4:00pm, The Emmanuel Centre, Woodhouse Lane, University of Leeds , Prof Stuart Weeks, Dr Jessica Keady, Prof James Crossley
Saturday 25 April 2015
- Central Events: Renaissance - 'Darkness into Light' 7:30pm to 9:45pm, Ushaw College
Tuesday 28 April 2015
- Music: Research Forum: Dr N Collins, Professor P Manning and Dr S Tarsitani (Durham) 2:00pm, Concert Room, Department of Music
- Now Available: CV's and Covering Letters Course, Wed 15 April (2pm to 5pm). Find out more & book: http://t.co/sHpXqoDa2o #DUinsess
Tweeted 6 days ago
- @durhamstudent there are just 2 weeks until Term 3 #DUinsess courses start!
Find out what's running & book a place: http://t.co/DcKUVctjXc
Tweeted 6 days ago
- Term 3 In-sessional courses will be available to book from 12 noon on Friday (10 April)
Find out which courses: http://t.co/EvPhzy074z
Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- We hope you're having a lovely break & are looking forward to term 3 In-sessional starting. Watch out for booking updates soon! #DUinsess
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- @durhamstudent There are still some places left for the Intensive Academic Writing courses taking place next week: http://t.co/DcKUVctjXc
Tweeted on Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:31:21 +0000
- We hope you're enjoying the holidays- but if you are still in Durham why not polish your Academic Wrting skills?
Tweeted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 12:03:30 +0000
- #FeedbackFriday Presentation Skills (Advanced) #DUinsess http://t.co/jHT0lEuLbc
Tweeted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 10:00:05 +0000
- #FeedbackFriday Managing Academic Reading #DUinsess http://t.co/nvndqzoaXu
Tweeted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 09:00:06 +0000
- Don't forget- if you've got something to tell us about the in-sessional programme, come along to our Focus Group! http://t.co/dF6aRz5iVe
Tweeted on Mon, 09 Mar 2015 09:02:36 +0000
- This is the last week of in-sessional for this term, but our Easter Intensive Course is now available for sign-up!
Tweeted on Mon, 09 Mar 2015 08:20:33 +0000
49 New Elvet
T:+44 (0)191 334 2230
F:+44 (0)191 334 2231