عربي ¦ 中文 (简体) ¦ 中文 (繁體) ¦ Русский язык
Welcome to the English Language Centre
The English Language Centre is a busy department which has a number of distinct functions.
As a support department we specialise in EAP (English for Academic Purposes) and through our Summer Pre-sessional and Year-round Pre-sessional programmes we prepare hundreds of international students for life in their academic departments. Our EAP provision also includes Academic Language and Communication courses which provide academic language and literacy support to international students throughout their studies. Through our Academic Writing Unit we offer tailored academic literacy and study skills support to students (home and international) in departments around the University.
Finally, we have considerable expertise in offering teacher development programmes to English Language Teachers.
Academic Writing Support
Registered Durham University students can book a one-to-one academic writing consultation with the English Language Centre's Academic Writing Unit.
(10 Feb 2017) » More about Academic Writing Support
More Homestay Accommodation needed for International Students
Do you enjoy hosting visitors in your own home? Could you offer a warm welcome to international students attending short courses in Durham this summer or later in the year?
If so, the English Language Centre would love to hear from you.
Academic Language and Communication Programme
If you have students who wish to develop or improve their academic reading, writing, thinking or communication skills, the ALC programme has nearly 50 courses available in term 2 to help them do this.
Courses are free to registered Durham University students and will be available to book from 9am on Monday 16 January via the Training Course Booking System. Full information about the courses is on the English Language Centre website.
(13 Jan 2017) » More about Academic Language and Communication Programme
Year-round Pre-sessional Courses
The English Language Centre is now taking applications for the Year-round Pre-sessional course.
(21 Jul 2016) » More about Year-round Pre-sessional Courses
DU ALC Courses
Academic Language & Communication Courses, free to all registered Durham University students. Because No-one's First Language Is Academic English
- .@durham_uni @DurhamStudentsU
Don't forget our ALC revision courses are released at 12 noon TODAY!
More info & book https://t.co/7gY2b88yyc
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- Don't forget! @durham_uni students only have til 12 noon to get completed ALC surveys in- chance to win £20
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- Food's here! Must be time for another #DUALC focus group... https://t.co/Zt1YWPKdrO
Tweeted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:26:55 +0000
- If you're still around next week, join us on Thu 23rd at 5.30 for ???? & to give us your thoughts!
Book: Focus Group https://t.co/7gY2b88yyc
Tweeted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 11:25:19 +0000
- RT @durhamIO: This week we're asking what life is like for #international students @durham_uni. Tweet us your experiences! #Wednesdaywisdom…
Tweeted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:17:05 +0000
- RT @maryfordneal: Lovely to see @DurhamLawSchool celebrating the work of ♀️scholars on #IWD incl @cave555 and @lizjcampbell
Tweeted on Wed, 08 Mar 2017 18:45:32 +0000
- Including our very own Diana Scott! https://t.co/HYZSsV2uYm
Tweeted on Wed, 08 Mar 2017 17:10:00 +0000
- RT @stiivkirk: The @durham_uni ELC admin team. Inspiring women w/out whom we simply could not function
Clare B, you too!…
Tweeted on Wed, 08 Mar 2017 12:30:10 +0000
- #DUIWD17 Happy International Women's Day #IWD2017 from all of us at the English Language Centre. We'll be tweeting throughout the day!
Tweeted on Wed, 08 Mar 2017 09:18:25 +0000
- RT @durham_uni: #DUIWD17 hearing from inspirational women from across Arts and Humanities, learn more and join us at https://t.co/pglGoraso…
Tweeted on Wed, 08 Mar 2017 09:16:03 +0000
49 New Elvet
T:+44 (0)191 334 2230