Dr Martin Dubois
(email at email@example.com)
Office hour: Monday 1-2
I came to Durham in 2018 as Assistant Professor in Nineteenth-Century Literature, having previously taught at Newcastle and Teesside. My main interest is in nineteenth-century poetry and poetics. My first book, Gerard Manley Hopkins and the Poetry of Religious Experience, appeared from Cambridge University Press in 2017 (paperback 2019). The book contests established views of Hopkins’s poetry as a unified project by exploring the shifting way in which he imagines religious belief in individual history. Other recent work includes an essay on Edward Lear and the colonial dimensions of Victorian nonsense for Victorian Studies. My current projects include a study of Victorian poetry and regional dialect.
- Dubois, Martin (2017). Gerard Manley Hopkins and the Poetry of Religious Experience. Cambridge University Press.
- Dubois, Martin (2017). Edward Lear and the Play of Poetry, ed. by James Williams and Matthew Bevis. Review of English Studies 68(287).
- Dubois, Martin (2017). The Collected Works of Gerard Manley Hopkins: Volume III: Diaries, Journals, and Notebooks, ed. by Lesley Higgins. Modern Language Review 112(2).
- Dubois, Martin (2015). The Collected Works of Gerard Manley Hopkins: Volume VII: The Dublin Notebook, ed. Lesley J. Higgins and Michael F. Suarez, S.J. Hopkins Quarterly 42(1-2).
Chapter in book
- Dubois, Martin (2016). Forms. In Nineteenth-Century Poetry: Criticism and Debates. Herapath, Jonathan & Mason, Emma. Routledge.
- Dubois, Martin (2015). Private voices: diary journals, correspondence, autobiography. In The Cambridge Companion to John Ruskin. O'Gorman, Francis. Cambridge University Press.
- Dubois, Martin (2013). Hopkins's Beauty. In The Oxford Handbook of Victorian Poetry. Bevis, Matthew. Oxford University Press.
- Dubois, Martin (2018). Edward Lear's India and the Colonial Production of Nonsense. Victorian Studies 61(1): 35-59.
- Dubois, Martin (2015). Sermon and Story in George MacDonald. Victorian Literature and Culture 43(3): 577-587.
- Dubois, Martin (2013). Hopkins and the Burden of Security. Essays in Criticism 63(4).
- Dubois, Martin (2012). Styles of Translation: Hopkins' Bibles. Victorian Poetry 50(3).
- Dubois, Martin (2012). William Barnes's Economy. Cambridge Quarterly 41(3).
- Dubois, Martin (2011). Diverse Strains: Music and Religion in Dickens’s Edwin Drood. Journal of Victorian Culture 16(3).
- Dubois, Martin (2010). The Month as Hopkins Knew It. Victorian Periodicals Review 43(3).