Dr Cristina Costa, Ph.D
I am an academic with a strong interest in educational and digital practices and inequalities. I am particularly interested in exploring – both in my research and in my teaching - the intersection of education and emergent social phenomena through different social theory lenses. I have conducted research on digital literacies and digital inequalities, curriculum innovation and digital scholarship practices in the last few years. For example, I was the UK co-coordinator of the ERASMUS+ project Digital Literacy and Inclusion of Learners from Disadvantaged Background. (2015-2017)
Currently, I am working on a project regarding Estranged Students’ Experiences of Higher Education with Professor Taylor.
I have supervised PGR students in a wide range of areas, including digital literacies and digital practices, internationalisation of curriculum, estranged students, gendered practices, etc.
I am co-editor of the Social Theory Applied blog/website www.socialtheoryapplied.com
I am also a co-convenor of the BSA study group ‘Digital Sociology’
You can find me on Twitter as @cristinacost
I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Information for Prospective Doctoral Research Student Supervisions
I would be pleased to work with students interested in pursuing research in areas of inquiry related to student experience, educational and/or digital inequalities, curriculum innovation, critical digital practices and literacies, internationalisation and globalisation of education. I also have a strong interest in working with students wishing to engage with social theories as part of their research projects.
Indicators of Esteem
- External Examining:
I often examine Ph.D and Ed.D theses at different British universities. I have also served as an examiner for Ph.D theses and Master’s dissertations in mainland Europe (Portugal and Spain) and Brazil.
- Invited Talks:
- Guest Speaker: Digital Europe: Challenges and opportunities for education. Conversations for the future of Europe. European University Institute. (May 2020)
Guest Speaker: Addressing the policy issues surrounding estranged students in higher education. Stand Alone Event on Estranged Students for the Scottish Parliament.(September 2019)
Guest Speaker: Hybrid social theory and education research: working with conceptual interdisciplinary. BERA Social Theory SIG (July 2019)
Keynote Speaker: The impact and influence of digital cultures on curriculum design. Congresso Internacional de Ensino – CONIEN. State University of the North of Parana, Brazil. (May, 2019)
Keynote Speaker: Curriculum Innovation and Digital Participatory Practices. Aula Magna. State University of Ponta Grosssa, Brazil. (May 2019)
Invited Workshop: The application of social theory to educational research. State University of Ponta Grosssa, Brazil. (May 2019)
Guest Speaker: The experiences of estranged students in the strange space of academia. University of Bristol, UK. (March 2019)
Guest Speaker: Digital scholars: A feeling for the academic game. University of Strathclyde – Research Seminar Sessions (March 2019)
- Peer reviewing:
- Australasian Journal of Educational Technology
- Critical Studies in Education
- International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education
- International Journal of Lifelong Education
Editorial Board Member of The Curriculum Journal
Editorial Board Member of International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education (ETHE)
Editorial Board Member Book Series Social Theory and Methodology in Education Research, Bloomsbury Publishing
Co-Covenor of the BERA Social Theory and Education SIG
- Critical Digital Literacies
- Digital Practices
- Digital Scholarship Practices
- Educational and Digital Inequalities
- Higher Education
- Social Theory
- Student/ Family Estrangement
- Widening Participation
- Durham University Evidence Centre for Education (DECE)
- Higher and Further Education
- International and Comparative Education
- Costa, C., Taylor, Y., Goodfellow, C. & Ecochard, S. (2020). Estranged students in higher education: navigating social and economic capitals. Cambridge Journal of Education 50(1): 107-123.
- Costa, Cristina Taylor, Yvette, Goodfellow, Claire & Ecochard, Sidonie (2020). Student estrangement in higher education: identity formation and the struggle against stigma. British Journal of Sociology of Education
- Costa, Cristina, Gilliland, Gemma & McWatt, Jennifer (2019). ‘I want to keep up with the younger generation’ - older adults and the web: a generational divide or generational collide?. International Journal of Lifelong Education 38(5): 566-578.
- Costa, Cristina, Burke, Ciaran & Murphy, Mark (2019). Capturing habitus: theory, method and reflexivity. International Journal of Research & Method in Education 42(1): 19-32.
- Murphy, Mark & Costa, Cristina (2019). Digital scholarship, higher education and the future of the public intellectual. Futures 111: 205-212.
- Costa, Cristina, Hammond, Michael & Younie, Sarah (2019). Theorising technology in education: an introduction. Technology, Pedagogy and Education 1.
- Costa, Cristina, Murphy, Mark, Pereira, Ana Lucia & Taylor, Yvette (2018). Higher education students’ experiences of digital learning and (dis)empowerment. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology
- Costa, Cristina & Harris, Lisa (2017). Reconsidering the technologies of intellectual inquiry in curriculum design. The Curriculum Journal 28(4): 559.
- Costa, Cristina (2016). Double gamers: academics between fields. British Journal of Sociology of Education 37(7): 993.
- Costa, Cristina (2015). Outcasts on the inside: academics reinventing themselves online. International Journal of Lifelong Education 34(2): 194.
- Costa, Cristina (2013). The habitus of digital scholars. Research in Learning Technology 21(1): 21274.
- Breeze, Maddie, Taylor, Yvette & Costa, Cristina (2019). Time and Space in the Neoliberal University. Palgrave.
- Costa, Cristina & Condie, Jenna (2018). Doing Research In and On the Digital: Research Methods across Fields of Inquiry. Routledge.
- Costa, Cristina & Murphy, Mark (2015). Bourdieu, Habitus and Social Research: The Art of Application. Palgrave.
- Murphy, Mark & Costa, Cristina (2015). Theory as Method in Research: On Bourdieu, Social Theory and Education. Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Costa, Cristina & Murphy, Mark (2019). EU Digital Media Policies and Education: The Challenge of a Digital Agenda for Europe. In Education and Public Policy in the European Union: Crossing Boundaries. St. John, Sarah & Murphy, Mark Palgrave Macmillan. 149-164.
- Costa, Cristina (2018). Digital Scholars: A Feeling for the Academic Game. In Feeling Academic in the Neoliberal University: Feminist Flights, Fights and Failures. Taylor, Yvette & Lahad, Kinneret Palgrave Macmillan. 345-368.
- Costa, Cristina & Murphy, Mark (2016). Digital Scholarship: Recognizing New Practices in Academia. In Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory. 1.
- Costa, Cristina (2015). Academics Online: Fighting for a New Habitus. In Bourdieu, Habitus and Social Research: The Art of Application. Costa, Cristina & Murphy, Mark Palgrave Macmillan UK. 151-166.
- Costa, Cristina & Murphy, Mark (2015). Bourdieu and the application of habitus across the social sciences. In Bourdieu, Habitus and Social Research: The Art of Application. Costa, Cristina & Murphy, Mark Palgrave. 3-20.
- Costa, Cristina & Murphy, Mark (2015). Doxa, digital scholarship and the academy. In Theory as Method in Research: On Bourdieu, Social Theory and Education. Murphy, Mark & Costa, Cristina Routledge. 49-62.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Singh, Samia (Illustrator) Taylor, Yvette & Costa, Cristina (2020). Estranged Students: (Widening) Participation Postcards.
- Taylor, Yvette Costa, Cristina & Singh, Samia (Illustrator) (2019). Estranged Students: Illustrating the Issues. University of Strathclyde.