Dr Sarah Metcalfe
(email at email@example.com)
Sarah is an ESRC Postgraduate Research Fellow in the School of Education. This project will further develop her PhD research and outputs, concentrating on how gender is realised and understood in schools. Sarah's Phd (funded by ESRC), titled ‘"Trapped": Gender, identities and PE’ looked at how young people negotiate their gendered and sporting identities within school environments. Sarah also holds a first class honours degree in Sport (BA) from Durham University, a PGCE in Secondary PE Education (Durham University), and a Masters degree in Education (Durham University). As a former PE teacher, Sarah’s motivation for her research centres on creating opportunities for young people to be physically active, removing any barriers or inequalities which may prevent this. Her research interests primarily lie within the sociological study of sport and gender, considering how gendered and classed identities are reproduced within school environments for young people.
Indicators of Esteem
- Young Researcher Award 2018:
European Association for Sociology of Sport Young Researcher Award 2018: ‘The development of an adolescent sporting habitus: Young people’s interpretation of UK sports-media coverage of Rio 2016 Olympic Games’. Winning paper presented at the closing ceremony of EASS International Conference 2018, Bordeaux 23-26th June.
- Gender and Identities
- Physical Activity and Sport
- Schooling and Education
- Young people
- Class and Gender
- Metcalfe, Sarah N & Llewellyn, Anna (2019). "It's just the thing you do": Physical and digital fields and the flow of capitals for young people's gendered identity negotiation. Journal of Adolescent Research
- Metcalfe, Sarah Nicola & Lindsey, Iain (2019). Gendered trends in young people’s participation in active lifestyles: The need for a gender-neutral narrative. European Physical Education Review 1356336X1987409.
- Metcalfe, Sarah N (2019). The development of an adolescent sporting gendered habitus: Young people's interpretation of UK sports-media coverage of Rio 2016 Olympic Games. European Journal for Sport and Society
- Metcalfe, S. (2018). Adolescent constructions of gendered identities: the role of sport and (physical) education. Sport, Education and Society 23(7): 681-693.