Dr Maria Katsipataki
Maria Katsipataki is a Research Associate in the School of Education working on an Education Endowment Foundation (EEF)-funded project which involves the investigation of the relative impact of different EEF projects as well as other school-based interventions using meta-analysis, tracking of pupil progress using the National Pupil Database (NPD) and also contributes to an analysis of existing research evidence for the development of the “Sutton Trust-EEF Teaching and Learning Toolkit”.
Maria gained a BA in Psychology from the American College of Greece in Athens followed by an MSc in Reading, Language and Cognition from the University of York. Following this Maria worked as a literacy-support tutor in various areas of London helping children with learning difficulties. Maria completed her PhD at Durham University investigating the relationship of a newly developed motor skills intervention with academic performance in the early years.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2013: Inspiration for Government award:
Dr Katsipataki received the Inspiration for Government award (awarded by the Institute for Government) for her work on the Sutton Trust - EEF Teaching and Learning Toolkit.
- Impact of Early Years interventions on cognitive and academic outcomes
- Relationship between the brain and motor skills
- Developmental changes in childhood
- Developmental psychology and learning difficulties
- Evidence-based educational interventions
- Development of the Teaching and Learning Toolkit
- Development of the Teaching and Learning Toolkit , the EEF Database and NPD Analysis and Data Archive 2018-2021
- Development of the Teaching and Learning Toolkit and NPD Analysis and Data Archive Support
- Higgins, S. & Katsipataki, M. (2016). Communicating comparative findings from meta-analysis in educational research: some examples and suggestions. International Journal of Research & Method in Education 39(3): 237-254.
- Katsipataki, M. & Higgins, S. (2016). What Works or What's Worked? Evidence from Education in the United Kingdom. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 217: 903-909.
- Higgins, S. & Katsipataki, M. (2015). Evidence from meta-analysis about parental involvement in education which supports their children’s learning. Journal of Children's Services 10(3): 280-290.
Chapter in book
- Kokotsaki, D. & Katsipataki, M. (2014). Motor Skill Acquisition. In Music in the Social and Behavioral Sciences: An Encyclopedia. Thompson, W.F. Sage Publications. 713-714.
- Higgins, S., Katsipataki, M. & Coleman, R. (2014). Reading at the Transition. London: Education Endowment Foundation.
- Higgins, S., Katsipataki, M., Kokotsaki, D., Coleman, R., Major, L.E. & Coe, R. (2013). The Sutton Trust - Education Endowment Foundation Teaching and Learning Toolkit. London, Education Endowment Foundation.
- Higgins, S., Xiao, Z. & Katsipataki, M. (2012). The Impact of Digital Technology on Learning: A Summary for the Education Endowment Foundation. London, Education Endowment Foundation.