Publication details for Dr Nadin BeckmannWood, R.E., Beckmann, N. & Rossiter, J.R. (2011). Management humor: Asset or liability? Organizational Psychology Review 1(4): 316-338.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2041-3866, 2041-3874
- DOI: 10.1177/2041386611418393
- Keywords: Managerial humor, Cognitive–affective variables, Communication, Persuasion, Problem solving, Creativity.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Should managers deliberately employ humor to persuade and motivate staff? A framework is presented for analyzing the role of humor in managerial communications. The framework includes the presenter, recipient, message, and medium and elaborates cognitive and emotional reactions to humor by recipients. The framework is applied to analyses of the likely impacts of humor in problem solving and creativity. Facilitators and constraints for the effects of humor in managerial communications are discussed.