Publication details for Dr Jonathan TummonsTummons, J. (2008). Assessment, and the literacy practices of trainee PCET teachers. International Journal of Educational Research 47(3): 184-191.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0883-0355
- DOI: 10.1016/j.ijer.2008.01.006
- Keywords: Communities of practice, Literacy, Assessment, Social practice.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Drawing on concepts of learning as socially situated within communities of practice and of literacy as social practice (the New Literacy Studies), this paper seeks to explore the assessment practices of a part-time teacher training course for teachers working in the post-compulsory education and training sector. This paper argues that the ways in which student teachers make sense of the assessment requirements of their course is not related to their prior experiences as students or as teachers, contradicting notions of transferable study skills. This paper also posits a conceptual framework for exploring the assessment process that seeks to reconcile assessment and pedagogy with the community of practice model.