Prof Jens Beckmann, Dipl.-Psych., Dr.rer.nat.habil.
Affiliate of the Durham University Evidence Centre for Education
Jens Beckmann is Professor of Educational Psychology, and Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute at Durham.
Jens joined Durham University, School of Education in 2011 from the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia where he was Director of the Accelerated Learning Laboratory. Prior to that he worked at the University of Sydney (Australia), Yale University (USA), the University of Bonn and the University of Leipzig (Germany).
His areas of expertise and his main foci of research have mainly been on the study and the assessment of intellectual abilities. More specifically, he conducts research in three main areas:
Dynamic Testing: Dynamic tests concentrate specifically on intellectual potential instead of the mere registration of what examinees are capable of doing at the given time of testing. He has been working extensively on the development of dynamic assessment procedures (e.g. learning tests).
Complex Problem Solving: His interest here is primarily on knowledge acquisition processes whilst dealing with complex dynamic simulations and their effects on controlling such systems. Research in complex problem solving not only allows studying learning and the acquisition and application of knowledge it can also provide a framework to address issues around instructional design.
Cognitive Flexibility: Cognitive flexibility can broadly be defined as the ability to deal with novelty, adjust to changes, and to break out of routine ways of thinking when necessary. Jens' research in this area is concerned with both conceptualisation (i.e. how to define) and operationalization (i.e. how to measure) of these practically highly relevant facets of intellectual functioning.
Jens welcomes enquiries regarding potential supervision of postgraduate and doctoral research broadly related to the above-mentioned topics.
Indicators of Esteem
- Appointed Assessor: Australian Research Council (ARC)
- Grant reviewer for::
- Fonds National de la Rechere Luxembourg
- National Research Foundation Singapore
- Member of the ESRC/Innovate UK Innovation Caucus: The Innovation Caucus is an initiative jointly funded by Innovate UK and the Economic and Social Research Council, and aims to promote closer engagement between social science researchers and the strategists, analysts and technologists working at Innovate UK
- Member of the Executive Committee of the European Network for Psychoeducational Assessment, Intervention and Rehabilitation (ENPAIR):
- Memberships Editorial Boards:
- Consulting Editor for Educational Psychologist
- Member of the Editorial Board for Journal of Dynamic Decision Making
- Associate Editor for New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development
- Editorial Advisor for Psychoeducational Assessment, Intervention and Rehabilitation (PAIR)
- Peer Review:
Applied Cognitive Psychology, British Journal of Educational Psychology, Cognitive Processes, Computers & Education, Diagnostica, European Journal of Psychological Assessment, European Review of Applied Psychology, European Review of Social Psychology, Frontiers in Psychology, Intelligence, International Journal of Educational Research, Journal for Research in Personality, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Journal of Cognitive Education and Psychology, Journal of Intelligence, Learning and Individual Differences, Learning and Instruction, New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development, Perspectives on Psychological Science, Psychological Reports, Psychology Science, Zeitschrift für Pädagogische Psychologie
- Cognitive Flexibility
- Complex Problem Solving
- Dynamic Testing
- Beckmann, N., Birney, D.P., Beckmann, J.F., Wood, R.E., Sojo, V. & Bowman, D. (2020). Inter-individual differences in intra-individual variability in personality within and across contexts. Journal of Research in Personality 85: 103909.
- Barbot, Baptiste, Hein, Sascha, Trentacosta, Christopher, Beckmann, Jens F., Bick, Johanna Crocetti, Elisabetta Liu, Yangyang Rao, Sylvia Fernandez, Liew, Jeffrey, Overbeek, Geertjan Ponguta, Liliana A., Scheithauer, Herbert Super, Charles Arnett, Jeffrey, Bukowski, William Cook, Thomas D., Côté, James Eccles, Jacquelynne S. Eid, Michael Hiraki, Kazuo Mark Johnson, Mark, Juang, Linda, Landi, Nicole, Leckman, James, McCardle, Peggy, Mulvey, Kelly Lynn, Piquero, Alex R. Preiss, David D., Siegler, Robert, Soenens, Bart, Yousafzai, Aisha Khizar, Bornstein, Marc H., Cooper, Catherine R. Goossens, Luc, Harkness, Sara & Van IJzendoorn, Marinus H. (2020). Manifesto for new directions in developmental science. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development 2020(172): 135-149.
- Zhang, J., Beckmann, N. & Beckmann, J.F. (2020). More than meets the ear: Individual differences in trait and state willingness to communicate as predictors of language learning performance in a Chinese EFL context. Language Teaching Research
- Birney, D.P., Beckmann, Jens F. & Beckmann, N. (2020). What does within-individual variability in performance trajectories tell us about intelligence?. Personality and Individual Differences 157: 109684.
- Gibbs, Simon, Beckmann, Jens F., Elliott, Julian, Metsäpelto, Riitta-Leena, Vehkakoski, Tanja & Aro, Mikko (2020). What’s in a name: the effect of category labels on teachers’ beliefs. European Journal of Special Needs Education 35(1): 115-127.
- Yu, Calvin, Beckmann, Jens F. & Birney, Damian P. (2019). Cognitive flexibility as a meta-competency / Flexibilidad cognitiva como meta-competencia. Estudios de Psicología 40(3): 563-584.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2019). Heigh-Ho: CPS and the seven questions – Some thoughts on contemporary complex problem solving research. Journal of Dynamic Decision Making 5: 12.
- Zhang, J., Beckmann, N. & Beckmann, J.F. (2019). One situation doesn’t fit all: Variability and stability of state willingness to communicate in a Chinese College English classroom. Language Teaching Research
- Wood, R.E., Beckmann, N., Birney, D.P., Beckmann, J.F., Minbashian, A. & Chau, R. (2019). Situation contingent units of personality at work. Personality and Individual Differences 136: 113-121.
- Elliott, J.G., Stankov, L., Lee, J. & Beckmann, J.F. (2019). What did PISA and TIMSS ever do for us?: the potential of large scale datasets for understanding and improving educational practice. Comparative Education 55(1): 133-155.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2018). Deferential trespassing: Looking through and at an intersectional lens. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development 2018(161): 119-123.
- Elliott, J.G., Resing, W.C.M. & Beckmann, J.F. (2018). Dynamic assessment: a case of unfulfilled potential?. Educational Review 70(1): 7-17.
- Birney, D.P., Beckmann, J.F., Beckmann, N., Double, K.S. & Whittingham, K. (2018). Moderators of learning and performance trajectories in microworld simulations: Too soon to give up on intellect!?. Intelligence 68: 128-140.
- Zhang, J., Beckmann, N. & Beckmann, J.F. (2018). To talk or not to talk: A review of situational antecedents of willingness to communicate in the second language classroom. System. An International Journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics 72: 226-239.
- Beckmann, J.F., Birney, D. P. & Goode, N. (2017). Beyond psychometrics: the difference between difficult problem solving and complex problem solving. Frontiers in Psychology 8: 1739.
- Birney, D.P., Beckmann, J.F., Beckmann, N. & Double, K. (2017). Beyond the Intellect: Complexity and learning trajectories in Raven’s Progressive Matrices depend on self-regulatory processes and conative dispositions. Intelligence 61: 63-77.
- Beckmann, J.F. & Goode, N. (2017). Missing the wood for the wrong trees: On the difficulty of defining the complexity of Complex Problem Solving scenarios. Journal of Intelligence 5(2): 15.
- Cripps, E., Wood, R.E., Beckmann, N., Lau, J., Beckmann, J.F. & Cripps, S.A. (2016). Bayesian Analysis of Individual Level Personality Dynamics. Frontiers in Psychology 7: 1065.
- Birney, D.P., Beckmann, J.F. & Seah, Y.Z. (2016). More than the eye of the beholder: The interplay of person, task, and situation factors in evaluative judgements of creativity. Learning and Individual Differences 51: 400-408.
- Goode, N. & Beckmann, J.F. (2016). With a little help … On the role of guidance in the acquisition and utilisation of knowledge in the control of complex, dynamic systems. Journal of Dynamic Decision Making 2: 5.
- Beckmann, N., Beckmann, J.F., Birney, D. P. & Wood, R. E. (2015). A problem shared is learning doubled: Deliberative processing in dyads improves learning in complex dynamic decision-making tasks. Computers in Human Behaviour 48: 654-662.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2015). Commentary - Of quadrants and fish scales: Reflections on new directions in research in child and adolescent development. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development 2015(147): 127-133.
- Scherer, R. & Beckmann, J.F. (2014). The acquisition of problem solving competence: evidence from 41 countries that math and science education matters. Large-scale Assessments in Education 2(1): 10.
- Beckmann, J. F. & Goode, N. (2014). The benefit of being naïve and knowing it: the unfavourable impact of perceived context familiarity on learning in complex problem solving tasks. Instructional Science 42(2): 271-290.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2014). The umbrella that is too wide and yet too small: Why dynamic testing has still not delivered on the promise that was never made. Journal of Cognitive Education and Psychology 13(3): 308-323.
- Beckmann, N., Beckmann, J.F., Minbashian, A. & Birney, D. P. (2013). In the heat of the moment: On the effect of state neuroticism on task performance. Personality and Individual Differences 54(3): 447-452.
- Birney, D.P., Bowman, D.B., Beckmann, J.F. & Seah, Y.Z. (2012). Assessment of processing capacity: Reasoning in Latin Square tasks in a population of managers. European Journal of Psychological Assessment 28(3): 216-226.
- Birney, D.P., Beckmann, J.F. & Wood, R.E. (2012). Precursors to the development of flexible expertise: Metacognitive self-evaluations as antecedences and consequences in adult learning. Learning and Individual Differences 22(5): 563-574.
- Beckmann, J.F. & Birney, D.P. (2012). What happens before and after it happens: Antecedences and consequences of adult learning. Learning and Individual Differences 22(5): 561-562.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2010). Taming a beast of burden - On some issues with the conceptualisation and operationalisation of cognitive load. Learning and Instruction 20(3): 250-264.
- Goode, N. & Beckmann, J.F. (2010). You need to know: There is a causal relationship between structural knowledge and control performance in complex problem solving tasks. Intelligence 38(3): 345-352.
- Beckmann, N., Beckmann, J.F. & Elliott, J.G. (2009). Self-confidence and performance goal orientation interactively predict performance in a reasoning test with accuracy feedback. Learning and Individual Differences 19(2): 277-282.
- Wood, R.E., Beckmann, J.F. & Birney, D.P. (2009). Simulations, learning and real world capabilities. Education + Training 51(5/6): 491-510.
- Wood, R.D., Cogin, J. & Beckmann, J.F. (2009). Managerial Problem Solving: Frameworks, Tools & Techniques. McGraw Hill, Australia.
Chapter in book
- Birney, P.B., Beckmann, J.F. & Beckmann, N. (2019). Within-individual variability of ability and learning trajectories in complex problems. In General and Specific Mental Abilities. McFarland, D.J. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars. 253-283.
- Pogorskiy, E. , Beckmann, J.F. , Joksimovic, S. Kovanovic, V. & West, R. (2018), Utilising a Virtual Learning Assistant as a Measurement and Intervention Tool for Self-Regulation in Learning, in Lee, Mark J. W., Nikolic, Sasha Ros, Montserrat, Shen, Jun, Lei, Leon C. U., Wong, Gary K. W. & Venkatarayalu, Neelakantam eds, 2018 IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning for Engineering (TALE). Wollongong, NSW Australia, IEEE, 846-849.
- Beckmann, J. (2015), The prediction of success in an ever-changing world: Assessing cognitive flexibility through dynamic testing, International Conference of the International Association for Cognitive Education in Southern Africa. Personalizing Thinking & Learning in the Conceptual Age. Cape Town, South Africa Cape Town.
- Tymms, P., Beckmann, N., Beckmann, J.F., Elliott, J. & Merell, C. (2013), Does schooling have an impact on short-term memory?, 15th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Learning and Instruction. Munich, Germany, European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, Munich.
- Beckmann, J.F. & Goode, N. (2013), On costs of good intentions: The effect of problem contextualisation on knowledge acquisition, 15th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Learning and Instruction. Munich, Germany, Munich.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2011), The Benefit of Being Naive and Knowing it: The Unfavourable Impact of Context Familiarity on Learning in Complex Problem Solving Tasks, 14th Conference of the International Society for the Study of Individual Differences. London, England, London.
- Beckmann, J.F (2011), With a little help… On the role of guidance in knowledge acquisition in complex, dynamic systems, 14th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Learning and Instruction. Exeter, England, Exeter.
- Birney, D. P., Grigorenko, E. L., Stemler, S., Beckmann, J.F. & Sternberg, R. J. (2010), An investigation of the theoretical implications of differential item functioning in the evaluation of educational interventions, 15th International Objective Measurement Conference. Boulder, CO, USA, Boulder CO.
- Howe, A., & Beckmann, J.F. (2010), Does task type affect the efficacy of performance goals? A comparison of discovery and instruction-based skill acquisition, 27th International Congress of Applied Psychology. Melbourne, Vic, Australia, Melbourne.
- Beckmann, N., , Beckmann, J.F. & Elliott. J.G. (2009), Accuracy feedback in dynamic testing, 13th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Learning and Instruction. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Amsterdam.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2009), Flexibility in Dynamic Testing: The assessment of cognitive flexibility in high performing adults, 13th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Learning and Instruction. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Amsterdam.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2009), From process models to diagnostic practice: A unified approach to complex problem solving, 13th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Learning and Instruction. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Amsterdam.
- Bowman, D.B., Beckmann, J.F. , Minbashian, A., Beckmann, N., MacCann, C., Birney, D.B. & Wood, R.E. (2009), Invited Workshop: The Accelerated Learning Laboratory’s approach to accelerated learning, 8th Australasian Conference on Personality and Individual Differences. Sydney, NSW, Australia, Sydney.
- Goode, N. & Beckmann, J.F. (2009), More than just rule application: determinants of control performance under conditions of partial and complete information in complex problem solving tasks, 13th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Learning and Instruction. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Amsterdam.
- Goode, N. & Beckmann, J.F. (2009), The Benefit of Being Naive but Knowing it: The Impact of Semantic Embedment in Complex Problem Solving Tasks, 13th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Learning and Instruction. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Amsterdam.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2008), Exploring the potential of dynamic testing in the measurement of cognitive flexibility, Asia-Pacific Educational Research Association. Singapore.
- Beckmann, J.F. & Bowman, D.B. (2008), Item development for new measures of cognitive flexibility, 43: International Journal of Psychology, 396.
- Beckmann, J.F. (2016), Flexibility in Dynamic Testing - Potentials for Complex Problem Solving?, Cognitive Science and Assessment. University of Luxembourg.
- Wood, R.E., Beckmann, J.F. & Birney, D.P. (2012). Flexible Expertise in Senior Executives (Final Report for Linkage Project LP0669552). Sydney: Accelerated Learning Laboratory. Accelerated Learning Laboratory.