Prof Catherine Montgomery, BA Hons, PGCE, MA Applied Linguistics, PhD, FRSA
(email at email@example.com)
Catherine Montgomery is Professor in the School of Education at the University of Durham
Catherine’s research focuses on internationalisation of higher education and she has a particular interest in transnational higher education in China and East Asia. Catherine’s recent work focuses particularly on mobilities and immobilities in international higher education and the internationalisation of curriculum and knowledge. Catherine is also interested in flows of international students and what these can tell us about the changing landscapes of global higher education.
Prior to joining Durham in September 2019, Catherine has held professorial posts at the University of Bath and the University of Hull, both with a focus on international higher education. Catherine is the founder and former director of the Centre for Research in Education in China and East Asia at the University of Bath and she has worked on international and comparative research projects in Denmark, Mexico and Vietnam including a British Council project focusing on Internationalisation strategy in Vietnam and an ESRC funded project looking at autonomy and democracy in education entitled Freedom to Learn.
Catherine has worked closely with Tec de Monterrey in Mexico researching the role of dialogic STEM education in addressing social and cultural disadvantage in Mexico and the UK. She is currently working with the prestigious Crick Institute in London on a funded research project focusing on their STEM outreach programme in schools in the London Borough of Camden.
Catherine has active collaborative research links with high profile universities in China, Hong Kong, Australia, Vietnam, Mexico and Europe. She holds a visiting professorship at the Centre for Higher Education Internationalisation at the Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milan, Italy; she is an invited Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA) and was awarded a UK National Teaching Fellowship in 2010.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2018: Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts:
- 2014: Visiting Professor and Affiliated Faculty at Centre for Higher Education Internationalisation, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan:
- Montgomery, C. (2020). Exploring rurality and ethnicity in globalised higher education: ideologies, intersections and narratives in doctoral research theses. Compare: A journal of comparative and international education
- Ma, Jie & Montgomery, Catherine (2019). Constructing sustainable international partnerships in Higher Education: Linking the strategic and contingent through interpersonal relationships in the UK and China. Journal of Studies in International Education
- Xu, Cora & Montgomery, Catherine (2019). Educating China on the Move: A Typology of Contemporary Chinese Higher Education Mobilities. Review of Education 7(3): 598-627.
- Montgomery, Catherine (2019). Surfacing ‘Southern’ perspectives on student engagement with internationalisation: doctoral theses as alternative forms of knowledge. Journal of Studies in International Education 23(1): 123-138.
- Nada, Cosmin Ionut Montgomery, Catherine & Araújo, Helen C. (2018). 'You went to Europe and returned different': Transformative learning experiences of international students in Portugal. European Educational Research Journal 17(5): 696-713.
- Watermeyer, Richard & Montgomery, Catherine (2018). Public dialogue with science and development for teachers of STEM: linking public dialogue with pedagogic praxis. Journal of Education for Teaching 44(1): 90-106.
- Clifford, Valerie & Montgomery, Catherine (2017). Designing an Internationalised Curriculum for Higher Education: Embracing the Local and the Global Citizen. Higher Education Research and Development 36(6): 1138-1151
- Montgomery,Catherine & Hope, Max (2016). Thinking the yet to be thought: envisioning autonomous and alternative pedagogies for socially just education. FORUM 58(3): 307-314.
- Montgomery, Catherine (2016). Transnational partnerships in Higher Education in China: the diversity and complexity of elite strategic alliances. London Review of Education 14(1): 70-85.
- Caruana, Viv & Montgomery, Catherine (2015). Understanding the Transnational Higher Education Landscape: shifting positionality and the complexities of partnership. Learning and Teaching 8(1): 5-29.
- Clifford, V. & Montgomery, C. (2014). Challenging Conceptions of Western Higher Education and Promoting Graduates as Global Citizens. Higher Education Quarterly 68(1): 28-45.
- Hou, J., Montgomery, C. & McDowell, L (2014). Exploring the diverse motivations of transnational higher education in China: complexities and contradictions. Journal of Education for Teaching 40(3): 300-318.
- Clifford, Valerie & Montgomery, Catherine (2014). Transformative Learning Through Internationalization of the Curriculum in Higher Education. Journal of Transformative Education 13(1): 46-64.
- Montgomery, C. (2009). A Decade of Internationalisation: Has It Influenced Students' Views of Cross-Cultural Group Work at University?. Journal of Studies in International Education 13(2): 256-270.
- Montgomery, C. & McDowell, L. (2009). Social Networks and the International Student Experience: An International Community of Practice?. Journal of Studies in International Education 13(4): 455-466.
- Sambell, K., McDowell, L. & Montgomery, C. (2013). Assessment for Learning in Higher Education. Routledge.
- Montgomery, Catherine (2010). Understanding the International Student Experience. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Montgomery, Catherine & Fernandez-Cardenas, Juan Manuel (2019). Teaching STEM Education through Dialogue and Transformative Learning: Global significance and local interactions in Mexico and the UK. Routledge Taylor and Francis.
- Montgomery, C. (2016). Transnational and transcultural positionality in globalised higher education. Routledge.
- Clifford, V. & Montgomery, C. (2011). Moving towards internationalisation of the curriculum for Global Citizenship in Higher Education. Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development.
Chapter in book
- Montgomery, Catherine & Nada, Cosmin Ionut (2019). International Students in the UK and EU: Fluid Context and Identities in a Changing Europe. In International Encounters: Higher Education and the International Student Experience. CindyAnn Rose-Redwood & Reuben Rose-Redwood Rowman & Littlefield. 67-82.
- Hope, M. & Montgomery, C. (2016). Creating Spaces for Autonomy: The Architecture of Learning and Thinking in Danish Schools and Universities. In The Palgrave International Handbook of Alternative Education. Lees, H.E. & Noddings, N Palgrave Macmillan. 305-319.
- Montgomery, C. (2013). Future curriculum for future graduates? Rethinking higher education curriculum for a globalised world. In Cross cultural teaching and learning for home and international students: Internationalisation of pedagogy and curriculum in higher education. Ryan, J. Oxon: Routledge. 171-181.
- Montgomery, C. (2011). Developing perceptions of interculturality: a troublesome space?. In Language and Learning in the International University: From English Uniformity to Diversity and Hybridity. Preisler, B., Klitgard, I. & Fabricius, A. Multilingual Matters. 59-75.