Dr Louise Gascoine
Affiliate of the Durham University Evidence Centre for Education
Louise has a mixed method research background and her interests focus on metacognition, pupil views of learning and wellbeing in education. She is also interested in systematic reviewing and the evaluation of educational interventions. Louise is currently Principal Investigator on an EEF funded evaluation of ReflectED that spans both the University of York and Durham University.
Louise graduated from the University of St Andrews with MA Honours Geography in 2005. After gaining SEN school based experience and completing a Certificate in Psychology, she trained to teach secondary Geography at Newcastle University (QTS, 2008). She then completed her M.Ed in Practitioner Enquiry (part-time) with distinction, whilst teaching in a wide variety of school settings in North East England. Louise was awarded a Durham Doctoral Studentship for PhD study in the School of Education (completed 2016), her PhD focussed on developmental trends in metacognitive awareness using Pupil Views Templates (PVTs) and included a systematic review of methods used to measure or assess metacognition.
- A systematic review of the international literature on effective professional development interventions for groups of welfare professionals
- Development of the Teaching and Learning Toolkit , the EEF Database and NPD Analysis and Data Archive 2018-2021
- Torgerson, Carole, Brooks, Greg, Gascoine, Louise & Higgins, Steve (2018). Phonics: reading policy and the evidence of effectiveness from a systematic ‘tertiary’ review. Research Papers in Education
- Gascoine, L., Higgins, S. & Wall, K. (2017). The Assessment of Metacognition in Children Aged 4–16 years: A Systematic Review. Review of Education 5(1): 3-57.
- Gascoine, L. (2010). Case Study: Pupil Perceptions of PLTS. Learning and Teaching Update 36: 9-10.
Chapter in book
- Wall,K., Higgins,s., Hall,E. & Gascoine, L. (2018). What does learning look like? A mixed methods approach to the analysis of cartoon story boards to investigate student perceptions of learning something new. In Good Question: Arts-based Approaches to Collaborative Research with Children and Youth. Emme,M. & Kiova,A The Canadian Society for Education through Art. 211-228.
- Wall, K., Higgins, S., Hall, E. & Gascoine, L. (2017). What does learning look like? Using cartoon story boards to investigate student perceptions (from 4 to 15) of learning something new. In Good Question: Arts-based Approaches to Collaborative Research with Children and Youth. Emme, Michael & Kirova, Anna Victoria, BC: The Canadian Society for Education through Art. 211-227.
- Mitchell, C. (2012). Doing Visual Research. International Journal of Research & Method in Education 35: 326-328.
- Gascoine, L., Higgins, S. & Wall, K. (2014), A systematic review of methods to assess metacognition in school‐aged children. Paper presented at symposium entitled Metacognition, executive functioning and self‐regulation: measurement tools from infancy to adolescence, 6th biennial meeting of the EARLI Special Interest Group 16 – Metacognition. Istanbul.
- Younger, K., Gascoine, L., Menzies, V. & Torgerson, C. (2018). A systematic review of evidence on the effectiveness of interventions and strategies for widening participation in higher education. Routledge.
- Torgerson, C.J., Torgerson, D.J., Ainsworth, H., Hewitt, C.E., Kasim, A., Kokotsaki, D., Bell, K., Elliott, L. & Gascoine, L. (2018). Calderdale Excellence Partnership: IPEELL. Evaluation and Executive Summary. School of Education. Education Endowment Foundation (EEF).
- Robinson-Smith,L., Fairhurst,C., Stone,G., Bell,K., Elliott, L., Gascoine,L., Hallett,S., Hewitt,C., Hugill,J., Torgerson,C., Torgerson,D., Menzies,V. & Ainsworth,H. (2018). Maths Champions: Evaluation Report and Executive Summary. Education Endowment Foundation.
- Torgerson, C., Bell, K., Coleman, E., Elliott, L., Fairhurst, C., Gascoine, L., Hewitt, C. & Torgerson, D. (2018). Tutor Trust: Affordable primary tuition. Evaluation report and executive summary. School of Education. Education Endowment Foundation.
- Torgerson, C., Nielsen, C., Gascoine, L., Filges, T., Moore, I., Nielsen, B. & Jørgensen, F. (2017). A systematic review of the effective continuing professional development training of welfare professionals. København, VIVE The Danish Centre for Social Science Research.
- Torgerson, C., Gascoine, L., Heaps, C. & Menzies, V. (2013). Higher Education access: Evidence of effectiveness of university access strategies and approaches. Sutton Trust.