5 Week Course
The 5 Week course is also sometimes referred to as PARSE (Preparatory Academic Research Skills & English).
It is a 5 week course that runs from August to September, and is designed for international students who hold an offer for a Durham degree programme and good existing levels of English language ability.
We recognise that there is a limit to the grammatical improvements that can be made in a student's English in only 5 weeks. There are, however, significant improvements that can be made in areas such as:
- Developing critical approaches to academic reading
- Learning to emulate common text-types in writing (e.g. literature review, empirical research based report & thesis-based discussion essay)
- Awareness of academic conventions (citation format; understanding the functions of referencing)
- Academic formality and style
- Notetaking strategies
We aim to give PARSE students an 'advantage' over other students entering Durham University directly without a Pre-sessional by incorporating additional library-based research skills, such as:
- exploring your subject area of the library
- finding and accessing useful e-journal content via online databases
- effective reading strategies
These essential skills are practised through the completion of an extended piece of writing, based in the students' own academic field. Students go through the same processes of researching, planning, drafting and composing a 1500 word, source-based (i.e. reading-based) essay that will be required of them on their degree programmes from October.
This is also an important time to learn more about Durham University- how we operate and how to get the most from your time in Durham.
From our experience (and from what previous Pre-sessional students tell us), you will find that your Durham University experience is more productive and perhaps also more successful as a result of this period of preparation.
In order to successfully complete the 5 week course you will need to have at least 90% attendance and submit all required assessments.
Dates: 19 August 2019 to 20 September 2019
Cost: £2,250 GBP
Qualification Awarded:Certificate of Completion