Opportunities for Postgraduates at Butler
As a postgraduate student at Butler you have the best of both worlds as you have the opportunity to get involved with events run by our Junior Common Room (JCR) of undergraduates, and our Middle Common Room (MCR), represented by its own elected executive committee. MCR members are also invited to many events organised by our Senior Common Room (SCR) of University staff and members of the wider community. A programme of all the events for the next term can be found here.
The MCR run regular events such as trips around the region (e.g. Edinburgh) and cultural excursions (e.g. theatre). In addition, there are many opportunities for our postgraduates to socialise together in the College with undergraduates, from formal dinners to fashion shows to 'Butlers got Talent'. Our annual Balls are a highlight, with one in winter and one in summer to celebrate the year-end, as well as our annual College Day. Together with our SCR (Senior Common Room) our postgraduates enjoy the delights of our book club, wine-tasting and fine dining, amongst many other things. Postgraduate students also benefit from our Scholars' Suppers held exclusively for postgraduate students and enjoy the series of Butler Talks and opportunities to engage in research discussions with our Resident Fellows or contribute to the Butler Scholarly Journal.
The MCR (Middle Common Room) is exclusive to postgraduates and level 4 students. There are many opportunities to take up a leadership role: The MCR elects its own President, Vice President, Secretary, Social Secretary and Postgraduate Welfare Officer from amongst the student body. The MCR also elects its own International Representative, Liver Out Officer, Webmaster and Level 4 Representative. The MCR run a range of exclusive events, socials, dining, excursions and inter-MCR events.
Postgraduates are active participants in our college sports teams, including football, hockey, rugby, darts, pool, badminton, tennis, squash, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse and rowing. Whether you want to play competitively, with friends, or just to improve your fitness, you will have opportunities at all levels at Josephine Butler. Many beginners take up sports and often discover new talents. The social side to sport at Josephine Butler is fantastic. Sports team socials and nights out have become a regular part of our calendar. For a full list of all our college sports teams, please see here.
Societies and Committees
There are almost 40 societies at Butler, and every society is open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. Butler has a range of societies including an allotment society, book club, chamber choir, and a cappella groups, and other unique societies such as Guinness, Real Ale and Whisky Appreciation Society and the croquet club. Music and the arts are thriving at Butler. We have a jazz band, rock/alternative music society, and our very own string group. Our theatrical arts group, Society of Theatrical Arts at Butler (STAB), is also very popular, putting on performances throughout the academic year. Past performances include appearances at our annual murder mystery formal dinner. For a full list of societies please see here.
The JCR also runs several committees, outreach projects and volunteering programmes that you can get involved with, giving you the chance to really give something back to the community and gain skills whilst having fun at the same time. As a 'Butlerite', you can volunteer at local primary schools, help run after-school language and sports clubs, organise charitable fundraising events, or join our Green Committee to publicise and promote more environmentally friendly ways of living - something which is particularly special at Josephine Butler. For a full list of committees please see here.
Programme of events at Josephine Butler College, Durham University. Also at https://www.facebook.com/butlercep/
- Great day at the Hill College Forum---lots of great interdisciplinary dialogue (and excellent food) https://t.co/rNZgXL0fV9
Tweeted on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 17:23:17 +0100
- RT @thebikiniline: TODAY! The bikini line launches tonight in the Botanical Gardens! #Durham #botanicalgardens #bikini https://t.co/7Tifq59…
Tweeted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:26:35 +0100
- @thebikiniline Launch Tonight at 6.30pm at Botanic Garden. Drinks reception and canapes, Cuth's Big Band. Free art! https://t.co/BMa0QsFCYO
Tweeted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:26:18 +0100
- Congratulations on finishing exams! Enjoy the next few weeks in Durham!
Tweeted on Fri, 03 Jun 2016 20:55:36 +0100
- Do you want to turn your sport hobby into a career? Check out the “Explore: Sport” careers forum on 9 June: https://t.co/BfdtJlGqPv
Tweeted on Thu, 02 Jun 2016 18:25:42 +0100
- Exciting new installation @durham_uni Botanical Garden this June marking 70 years of the bikini: @thebikiniline https://t.co/yiWm1UdFDq
Tweeted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:46:57 +0100
- @thebikiniline exciting new installation @durham_uni Botantical Garden this June marking 70 years of the bikini https://t.co/jgO4ZUvHfG
Tweeted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:44:48 +0100
- @thebikiniline an exciting new installation @durham_uni Botanical Garden marking the 70th anniversary of the bikini https://t.co/vw8qTjyk3F
Tweeted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:42:52 +0100
- RT @thebikiniline: 16 days until 16/6/16, 16 days until an explosive installation opens in Durham Botanical Gardens #70years #bikiniline
Tweeted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:39:03 +0100
- Focus on Your Future: Careers Workshops. https://t.co/MmRqEiQqv1
Tweeted on Mon, 23 May 2016 15:35:37 +0100