OUR MOTTO: "Comme Je Trouve - We take life as we find it, and make of it what we can."
Welcome to Josephine Butler College - We are now officially 10 years old.
June 2016 to July 2017 is our year of celebration events to mark our 10th Anniversary . Please have a look and see what we have planned.
As Durham's youngest College having opened in 2006, we are free-spirited, flourishing and full of life. We have a vibrant, inclusive community of around 800 students from a variety of backgrounds and encourage all our students to get involved with our pioneering spirit.
Butler is expanding! Please bear with us through the minor disruption whilst we modernise our site over the following year.
Why choose Butler?
- Inspiration and opportunity: We are always open to new ideas giving you the inspiration and the opportunity to be as innovative as you want to be and make things happen.
- Excellent support: Our outstanding college mentor system (rated as excellent by our students) means you have all the support you need to make the most of your time at University.
- Traditions with a twist: We take pride in keeping up some of the University's oldest traditions, giving them our own unique Josephine Butler twist.
Who are we?
We are named after the 19th Century social reformer, Josephine Butler, who had a profound influence on society's view of women's health and education.
- Butler is a fully en-suite, self-catering College.
Butler Mascot - the Mole
You can now buy our beautiful luxurious fur Josephine Butler Mole mascot to have and to treasure forever as your reminder of your time at Josephine Butler College. Why not buy it as a gift for a friend or treat yourself to one for your room or if you are graduating ask your Parents for it as a gift.
These are available at a special offer price of £10.00 each in a gift bag.
Have a look at our fabulous Butler video.
One world week 2017.
Pre-sessional programme underway
After the arrival of nearly 200 pre-sessional students to Durham, the Pre-sessional Team have been busy working with the English Language Centre to ensure that all students are registered into the University. The students are now all fully enrolled into the university and have had support with their NHS, bank and visa registrations. Now the students have started to settle into University life, the Pre-sessional Team have been encouraging the Pre-sessional students to get involved in College life by organising trips to Newcastle and York as well as showing students the local attractions in Durham. The Pre-sessional students have also been introduced to Durham formals, where they have had the opportunity to experience university traditions. But most importantly, the students have been introduced to Butler College’s supportive environment, by being introduced to a College Mentor, who has the role of answering questions and signposting students, as well as this, the students have constant support from the Pre-sessional Team. We have lots more events planned for the coming weeks such as a Brazilian Carnival, a river cruise and a pizza evening!
(12 Jul 2017) » More about Pre-sessional programme underway
End of Year Celebrations 2017
The final 3 weeks of Easter Term at Butler are full of celebrations for our current students, graduating students, and alumni. Butler Day and the Summer Ball are our two most anticipated events.
(9 Jul 2017) » More about End of Year Celebrations 2017
Open Days - Summer 2017
On the 26th of June, 1st of July and 23rd of September 2017 Durham City and Josephine Butler College will welcome prospective students and visitors to our vibrant, world-class university. Booking is essential as part of the Open Day process and some individual talks will also need booking. Accommodation in college rooms in Durham City is available however rooms will not be available at Butler.
(7 Jun 2017) » More about Open Days - Summer 2017
Tuesday 18 July 2017
- 3:25pm to 3:25pm
- Formal 3:55pm to 3:55pm
Wednesday 2 August 2017
- Pre-sessional EAP 2 Formal 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Wednesday 30 August 2017
- Pre-sessional EAP 3 Formal 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Thursday 21 September 2017
- Pre-sessional Ball 7:00pm to 11:00pm
Friday 29 September 2017
- Post Graduate Formal 7:00pm to 9:00pm, Josephine Butler Bar
Monday 2 October 2017
- First Fresher's Formal 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Tuesday 3 October 2017
- Second Fresher's Formal 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Butler is beautiful, shiny and new. It has a good mix of people from all walks of life and you really get a sense that things are there for the taking if you want it as students run most of the day to day activities. Butler is simply wonderful!Student Experience Survey
Reception: 0191 3347260
Programme of events at Josephine Butler College, Durham University. Also at https://www.facebook.com/butlercep/
- We're looking for pre-sessional mentors! Can you help!? More details available using the link https://t.co/tlxS0x12PG
Tweeted on Thu, 11 May 2017 12:21:58 +0100
- Great day at the Hill College Forum---lots of great interdisciplinary dialogue (and excellent food) https://t.co/rNZgXL0fV9
Tweeted on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 17:23:17 +0100
- RT @thebikiniline: TODAY! The bikini line launches tonight in the Botanical Gardens! #Durham #botanicalgardens #bikini https://t.co/7Tifq59…
Tweeted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:26:35 +0100
- @thebikiniline Launch Tonight at 6.30pm at Botanic Garden. Drinks reception and canapes, Cuth's Big Band. Free art! https://t.co/BMa0QsFCYO
Tweeted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:26:18 +0100
- Congratulations on finishing exams! Enjoy the next few weeks in Durham!
Tweeted on Fri, 03 Jun 2016 20:55:36 +0100
- Do you want to turn your sport hobby into a career? Check out the “Explore: Sport” careers forum on 9 June: https://t.co/BfdtJlGqPv
Tweeted on Thu, 02 Jun 2016 18:25:42 +0100
- Exciting new installation @durham_uni Botanical Garden this June marking 70 years of the bikini: @thebikiniline https://t.co/yiWm1UdFDq
Tweeted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:46:57 +0100
- @thebikiniline exciting new installation @durham_uni Botantical Garden this June marking 70 years of the bikini https://t.co/jgO4ZUvHfG
Tweeted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:44:48 +0100
- @thebikiniline an exciting new installation @durham_uni Botanical Garden marking the 70th anniversary of the bikini https://t.co/vw8qTjyk3F
Tweeted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:42:52 +0100
- RT @thebikiniline: 16 days until 16/6/16, 16 days until an explosive installation opens in Durham Botanical Gardens #70years #bikiniline
Tweeted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:39:03 +0100