Meet the Faculty
Mr Gavin D'Northwood
LL.B, BA, MSc, PG.Cert, ACMA, CGMA, SFHEA
Gavin, an Associate Professor (Teaching) in Accounting and Chartereed Management Accountant, joined the Business School in September 2012 following several years as a Senior Lecturer at Newcastle Business School, Northumbria University.
Gavin, an Associate Professor (Teaching) in Accounting and Chartered Management Accountant, joined the Business School in September 2012 following several years as a Senior Lecturer at Newcastle Business School, Northumbria University.
Currently Programme Director for MSc Accounting for Durham University Business School, Gavin has held accounting examiner positions for the Association of International Accountants (AIA), the Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountants (CIPFA) and Sheffield University Management School. Gavin has previously enjoyed a career spanning audit and financial management with NatWest Bank plc, The Legal Services Commission and the National Health Service. Gavin's main teaching areas comprise business law and financial reporting.
- Budgeting/performance management in the National Health Service
- Linguistic analysis of corporate reporting
- Accounting education
- D'Northwood, G. (2017). BP plc 2010 – a case of linguistic legitimation?. Journal of Applied Accounting Research 18(4): 480-495.
- D'Northwood, G. (2017), A phenomenographic study of critical thinking: conceptualisation and operationalisation in assessment practices, Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE) Newer and Early Career Researchers Conference 5th December 2017. Newport, Wales.
- D'Northwood, G. (2015), A comparative linguistic analysis of statements by the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in BP plc’s published annual report of 2010., British Accounting & Finance Association Financial Reporting and Business Communication. Bristol, British Accounting and Finance Association, Bristol.