Professor Christos Tsinopoulos
BEng, MSc, PhD, CILT, FHEA
Christos’s research and teaching activities focus on the management of innovation, technology and supply chain integration. His work, frequently supported by industry, focuses on the interface of customers and suppliers and its impact on Research and Development and innovation more generally.
Christos is the director of the six MSc in Management programmes in Durham and has recently developed Durham’s first MOOC on open innovation.
Christos leads a research team in the area of operations and technology management which aims to explore questions which are practical, relevant and deliver impact. He and his colleagues focus on the activities customers and suppliers employ to use data and integrate their processes to develop new products and processes. He works with practitioners, international scholars, and professional organisations to identify questions that are relevant, and apply rigorous methodological techniques to address them.
He has been a member of the executive committee and a lead assessor of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers' Manufacturing Excellence awards, and has been a visiting scholar at Duke University Fuqua Business School.
Christos has a PhD from the University of Warwick as well as Bachelor and Master degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Sheffield. Previously, he has been a research fellow in new product development at the Warwick Manufacturing Group and a quality and maintenance engineer for copper and aluminium industries in Greece.
Christos is a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Product and Innovation Management, and the Journal of Manufacturing and Technology Management.
- Product and Process Innovation
- Supply Chain Management
- R&D Management and University-Industry Collaboration
- Technology Management
- Tsinopoulos, C. & Garside, J. (2004). Guide to Manufacturing Excellence. London: PE Publishing.
- Adamides, E. D. & Tsinopoulos, C. (2015). Survival in economic crisis through forward integration: The role of resilience capabilities. In Organisational resilience: Concepts, integration and practice. Bhamra, R. Boca Raton: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group. 103-124.
- Tsinopoulos C. & Adamidis, E. (2012). Operations Management.. In The Essential MBA. Miller, S. London: Sage Publications. 185-218.
- AlManei, Mohammed, Salonitis, Konstantinos & Tsinopoulos, Christos (2018). A conceptual lean implementation framework based on change management theory. Procedia CIRP 72: 1160-1165.
- Tsinopoulos, C., Sousa, C. & Yan, J. (2018). Process Innovation: Open innovation and the moderating role of the motivation to achieve legitimacy.. Journal of Product Innovation Management 35(1): 27-48.
- Burnard, K., Bhamra, R. & Tsinopoulos, C. (2018). Building Organisational Resilience: Four Configurations. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management 65(3): 351-362.
- Salonitis, K. & Tsinopoulos, C. (2016). Drivers and Barriers of Lean Implementation in the Greek Manufacturing Sector. Procedia CIRP 57: 189-194.
- Tsinopoulos, C. & Mena, C. (2015). Supply chain integration configurations: Process structure and product newness. International Journal of Operations and Production Management 35(10): 1437-1459.
- Tsinopoulos, C., Lages, L.F. & Sousa, C.M.P. (2014). Export experience counts: Exploring its effect on product design change. R&D Management 44(5): 450-465.
- Tsinopoulos, C. & Al Zu’bi, Z. B. M. F. (2013). Lead users, suppliers, and experts: the exploration and exploitation trade-off in product development. International Journal of Technology Marketing 9(1): 6-20.
- Al Zu’bi, Z. & Tsinopoulos, C. (2013). An outsourcing model for lead users: An empirical investigation.. Production Planning and Control 24(4-5): 337-346.
- Tsinopoulos, C. & Al Zu'bi, Z.b.M.F. (2012). Clockspeed effectiveness of lead users and product experts. International Journal of Operations & Production Management 32(9): 1097 - 1118.
- Tsinopoulos, C. & Al Zu’bi, Z. (2012). Suppliers versus Lead Users: Examining their Relative Impact on Product Variety. Journal of Product Innovation Management 29(4): 667-680.
- Tsinopoulos, C. & Bell, K. (2010). Supply chain integration systems by small engineering to order companies: the challenge of implementation.. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management 21(1): 50-62.
- McCarthy, I.P., Tsinopoulos, C., Allen, P. & Rose-Anderssen, C. (2006). New Product Development as a Complex Adaptive System of Decisions.. Journal of Product Innovation Management 23(5): 437-456.
- Fernandes, K. J., Raja, V., White A. & Tsinopoulos, C. (2006). Adoption of virtual reality within construction processes: A factor analysis approach.. Technovation 26(1): 111-120.
- Rose-Anderssen, C., Allen, P. M., Tsinopoulos, C. & McCarthy, I. (2005). Innovation in manufacturing as an evolutionary complex system.. Technovation 25(10): 1093-1105.
- McCarthy, I.P. & Tsinopoulos, C. (2003). Strategies for agility: an evolutionary and configurational approach.. Integrated Manufacturing Systems 14(2): 101-113.
- Tsinopoulos, C. & McDougal, H. (Published). Supply Chain Integration Configurations: Product Newness and Process Structure. (Finalist for the Chan Ηahn best paper award). Academy of Management: Best Paper Proceedings Forthcoming.
- Tsinopoulos, C. (2016). Brexit: Future trade between the UK and the EU, Oral Evidence, The Select Committee on the European Union: External Affairs Sub-Committee and Internal Market Sub-Committee.
- Tsinopoulos, C., Greenwell, D., Macaulay, M., MacFadyen, I. & Vogt, O. (2012). Examining the consequences of Public Procurement Practices in the North East. Teesside University Business School Durham University Business School.