Dr Anamaria Nicolae
BA, MSc, PhD
Anamaria's published research is in the area of monetary policy, price stability and the optimal speed of disinflation; more specifically, exploring the output response to a disinflationary monetary policy and the optimal speed of disinflation when there is imperfect credibility, and when velocity is time varying. She also published research on financial literacy, stock market participation, trust and sociability, studying the importance of stock market literacy and trust for stock ownership decisions; and on analysing the effect of the Financial Crisis on TFP growth. Anamaria carried out research in collaboration with the Bank of England. Her research has been published in Journal of Money Credit and Banking, Review of Finance and Bank of England Working Papers.
More recently, her research interests lie in the area of international trade and productivity. Anamaria’s current work with Michael Nower in this area contributes to informing stakeholders and policymakers on the impact of potential future trade agreements on the UK economy following UK’s exit from the EU, and has potential impact contributing to the productivity debate underlying the UK economy and to strengthening the UK’s negotiating position in exiting the European Union. For more information on this project, please see the project webpage BREXIT : INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND PRODUCTIVITY.
Potential PhD students interested in doing research in the field of international trade are welcome to contact Anamaria directly.
Anamaria teaches International Economics, 3rd level undergraduate module, and International Economics to postgraduate students (MSc in Economics), and is the module leader of both modules. For her teaching, she received the Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence.
- International Trade
- Monetary Economics
- Balloch, A., Nicolae, A. & Philip, D. (2015). Stock market literacy, trust, and participation.. Review of Finance 19(5): 1925-1963.
- Evans, L. & Nicolae, A. (2010). The Output Effect of a Transition to Price Stability When Velocity is Time-varying.. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 42(5): 859-878.
- Nicolae, A. & Nolan, C. (2006). The impact of imperfect credibility in a transition to price stability.. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 38(1): 47-66.
- Millard, S, Nicolae, A. & Nower, M. (2019). International trade, non-trading firms and their impact on labour productivity. . Bank of England Staff Working Paper 787.
- Millard, S. & Nicolae, A. (2014). The Effect of the Financial Crisis on TFP Growth: A General Equilibrium Approach. Bank of England Working Paper 502.