Professor Parantap Basu
BA, MA, PhD
Parantap is Director of the Centre for Economic Growth and Policy.
Prior to joining Durham, Professor Basu held positions at Fordham University and Case Western Reserve University in the United States. He has held visiting positions for research and teaching at various universities and research institutes which include University of Essex in the UK, Tilburg University in the Netherlands, University of Sydney in Australia, Auckland University in NewZealand, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research In India, Federal Reserve Banks in Minneapolis and St Louis in the United States. He served on the scientific committee of an EU sponsored project in 2010-11 and as a Senior Research Consultant at the National Council of Applied Economic Research in 2014. Professor Basu has published widely in various fields of Macroeconomics which include Macro-Finance, Growth and Development, Business Cycle Theory. At Durham Parantap is the Director of the Centre for Economic Growth and Policy Centre for Economic Growth and Policy. He teaches Macroeconomics and International Finance.
- Asset Pricing
- Growth and Inequality
- Business Cycles
- Banerjee, Shesadri & Basu, Parantap (2016). Indian Economy During the Era of Quantitative Easing: A Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Perspective.. In Monetary Policy in India: A Modern Macroeconomic Perspective. Ghate, Chetan & Kletzer, Kenneth M. Cham: Springer. 549-580.
- Basu, P. (2009). Too Hungry to Read: Is an Education Subsidy a Misguided Policy for Development? In Handbook of Research in Cost Benefit Analysis. Brent, R.J. Edward Elgar Publishing Limited.
- Banerji, S. & Basu, P. (2017). Universal Banking, Asymmetric Information and the Stock Market.. Economic Modelling 60: 180-193.
- Basu, P. & Gavin, W.T. (2017). Negative Correlation between Stock and Futures Returns: An Unexploited Hedging Opportunity?. Bulletin of Economic Research 69(3): 209-215.
- Banerjee, S. & Basu, P. (2017). Technology Shocks and Business Cycles in India.. Macroeconomic Dynamics
- Basu, P. & Sarkar, A. (2016). Partial Inflation Indexation and Long-run Inflation Targeting in a Growing Economy: A Comparison of Calvo and Rotemberg Pricing Models. Journal of Macroeconomics 50: 293-306.
- Basu, P. & Getachew, Y. (2015). An adjustment cost model of social mobility.. Journal of Macroeconomics 44: 177-190.
- Banerji, S. & Basu, P. (2015). Borrower’s moral hazard, risk premium, and welfare a comparison of universal and stand-alone banking systems.. The Journal of economic asymmetries 12(1): 61-72.
- Basu, P. & Kollmann, R. (2013). Productive Government Purchases and the Real Exchange Rate. The Manchester School 81(4): 461-469.
- Basu, P. & Bhattarai, K.R. (2012). Government Bias in Education, Schooling Attainment and Long-run Growth. Southern Economic Journal 79(1): 127-143.
- Basu, P., Gillman, M. & Pearlman, J. (2012). Inflation, Human Capital and Tobin's q. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 36(7): 1057-1074.
- Basu, P. & Bhattarai, K.R. (2012). Cognitive Skills, Openness and Growth.. Economic Record 88(280): 18-38.
- Basu, P., Semenov, A. & Wada, K. (2011). Uninsurable Risk and Financial Market Puzzles. . Journal of International Money and Finance 30(6): 1055-1089.
- Basu, P. & Gavin, W.T. (2011). What explains the growth in commodity derivatives?. Federal Bank of St. Louis Review 93(1): 37-48.
- Basu, P. & Thoenissen, C. (2011). International business cycles and the relative price of investment goods. . Canadian Journal of Economics 44(2): 580-606.
- Basu, P. (2010). Government Purchases and the Real Exchange Rate: A Comment.. Open Economies Review 21(1): 65-67.
- Basu, Parantap & Appelbaum, E. (2010). A New Methodology for Studying the Equity Premium.. Annals of Operations Research 176(1): 109-126.
- Basu, P. (2009). Understanding Labour Market Frictions: An Asset Pricing Approach.. Bulletin of Economic Research 61(4): 305-324.
- Basu, P. & Guariglia, A. (2008). Does Low Education Delay Structural Transformation? . Southern Economic Journal 75(1): 104-127.
- Basu, P. & Renstrom, T.I. (2007). Optimal Dynamic Labour Taxation. Macroeconomic Dynamics 11: 567-588.
- Basu, P. & Guariglia, A. (2007). Foreign Direct Investment, inequality and growth. Journal of Macroeconomics 29: 824-839.
- Basu, P & Wada, K. (2006). Is low international risk sharing consistent with a high equity premium? A reconciliation of two puzzles.. Economics Letters 93(3): 436-442.
- Basu, P. & Bandyopadhyay, D. (2005). What drives the cross-country growth and inequality correlation?. Canadian Journal of Economics = Revue canadienne d'économique 38(4): 1272-1297.
- Basu, P., Chakraborty, C. & Reagle, D. (2003). Liberalization, FDI and growth in developing countries: A panel cointegration approach.. Economic Inquiry 41(3): 510-516.
- Basu, P. & Guariglia, A. (2002). Liquidity constraints and the firms' investment return behavior.. Economica 69(276): 563-581.
- Basu, P. (2001). Seigniorage, reserve ratio and growth. Journal of Macroeconomics 23(3): 397-416.
- Basu, P. & Samanta, P. (2001). Volatility and stock prices Implications from a production model of asset pricing. Economics Letters 70(2-3): 229-235.