Professor Michael Guo
BSc, MSc, PhD
Michael's main interests lie in mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance, he also specializing in hedge fund activism and investor sentiment.
Professor Guo has international experience in teaching at postgraduate (MSc, MA), and undergraduate (BSc) levels.
Professor Guo has been shortlisted by Economist Magazine for “2013 Business Professor of the Year Award” for his excellence on high-quality teaching.
In 2010, Professor Guo was appointed as Deputy Director for Institute of China Development and Research, establishing and managing collaborations on behalf of the school with Chinese authorities and universities that aim to encourage the development of high-quality research collaborations as well as executive training programmes and student exchange.
Professor Guo has several research interests, while his main focus is on Chinese Business and Finance, Corporate Finance, and Behavioural Finance. More specifically:
- Behavioural Corporate Finance and M&As
- Hedge Fund Activism
- Capital Structure and Market timing
- Media Attention and Investor Sentiments
- Chinese Political Connection and M&As
- Capital Structure and Market timing
- Media Attention and Stock Return
- Wu, J, Wang, C, Chen, Z & Guo, J.M (2020). A Study of Disposition Effect Among Chinese Individual Investors: the Perspective of Irrational Beliefs. 476 (2): Journal of Financial Research.
- Zheng,Z, Shi,L, Huang,J & Guo,M (2019). Influential Factors and Economic Consequences of Minority Shareholder DecisionsEvidence from Chinese Listed Firms. The Journal of World Economy, Chinese Academy of Social Science.
- Zheng,Z, Li,M, Li,Q & Guo,M (2021). The Logic of Control Arrangement of Acting-in-Concert Agreements. The Journal of World Economic, Chinese Academy of Social Science 44(4): 201-224.
- Li, J., Guo, M., Hu, N. & Tang, K. (2021). Do Corporate Managers Believe in Luck? Evidence of the Chinese Zodiac Effect. International Review of Financial Analysis
- Zheng,Z, Tang,K, Liu,Y & Guo,M (2021). Gender and Herding. Journal of Empirical Finance
- Guo, M., Li, Y., Wang, C. & Xing, X. (2020). The Role of Investment Banker in M&As: New Evidence on Acquirers' Financial Conditions.. Journal of Banking and Finance 119: 105298.
- Sun, Ji, Zhou, Yi, Wang, Jiaguo George & Guo, Jie Michael (2020). Influence of Media Coverage and Sentiment on Seasoned Equity Offerings.. Accounting and Finance 60(S1): 557-585.
- Guo,M, Paudyal, K, Utham,V & Xing,X (2020). Investors Activism and the Gains from Takeover Deals. European Journal of Finance 26(1): 64-83.
- Guo, M., Liu, J., He, Q. & Xin, J.Y. (2020). Managerial Overconfidence and M&A Performance: Evidence from China. International Journal of Banking Accounting and Finance 11(3): 342-360.
- Guo, M., Li, X., Seeger, N.C. & Vagenas-Nanos, V. (2019). Social Connections, Reference Point and Acquisition Premium.. British Accounting Review 51(1): 46-71.
- Yang, B., Sun, J., Guo, M.J. & Fu, J. (2019). Can Financial Media Sentiment Predict Merger and Acquisition Performance?. Economic Modelling 80: 121-129.
- Guo, M., Hu, N., Li, L. & Wang, X. (2019). Do Managers Keep Their Word? The Disclosure of Merger Intention at Pre-merger Issuance and M&A Performance. Finance Research Letters 28: 20-31.
- Li, Z., Guo, M. & Andrikopoulos, P. (2019). Relative Reference Prices and M&A Misvaluations. Review of Behavioral Finance 11(1): 70-97.
- Yang, J., Guariglia, A. & Guo, J. (2019). To what extent does corporate liquidity affect M&A decisions, method of payment and performance? Evidence from China. Journal of Corporate Finance 54: 128-152.
- Guo, J., Guang, J., Hu, N. & Utham, V. (2018). The Role of Derivatives in Hedge Fund Activism.. Quantitative Finance 18(9): 1531-1541.
- Guan, Y., Liu, S., Guo, M.J., Li, M., Wu, M., Chen, S.X., Xu, S.X. & Tian, L. (2018). Acculturation Orientations and Chinese Student Sojourners’ Career Adaptability: The Roles of Career Exploration and Cultural Distance. . Journal of Vocational Behavior 104: 228-239.
- Gang, J., Guo, M., Hu, N. & Li, X. (2018). Indexing Mergers and Acquisitions.. Quantitative Finance 18(6): 1033-1048.
- Andrikopoulos, P., Sun, J. & Guo, M. (2017). Ownership Structure and the Choice of SEO Issue Method in the UK.. International Journal of Managerial Finance 13(4): 378-396.
- Black, E.L., Guo, M., Hu, N. & Vagenas-Nanos, E. (2017). Uncertainty Triggers Overreaction: Evidence from Corporate Takeovers.. The European Journal of Finance 23(14): 1362-1389.
- Lam, H.Y.T., Doukas, A.J., Guo, M. & Xiao, S. (2016). Media endorsements of new product announcements a new marketing strategy.. European financial management 22(3): 394-426.
- Sun, J., Ding, L., Guo, M. & Li, Y. (2016). Ownership, Capital Structure and Financing Decision: Evidence from the UK. The British Accounting Review 48(4): 448-463.
- Black, E., Doukas, A., Xing, X. & Guo, M. (2015). Gains to Chinese Bidder Firms: Domestic vs. Foreign Acquisitions. European Financial Management 21(5): 905-935.
- Ferguson, N.J., Philip, D., Lam, H.Y.T. & Guo, M. (2015). Media content and stock returns the predictive power of press.. Multinational Finance Journal 19(1): 1-31.
- Guo, J. & Petmezas, D. (2012). What are the Causes and Effects of M&As? The UK Evidence.. Multinational Finance Journal 16(1/2): 1-27.
- Zhou, B., Guo, M., Chen, X. & Yang, T. (2012). Market Timing of Corporate Debt Issuance: Prediction or Reaction? Applied Financial Economics 22(21): 1753-1769.
- Zhou, B., Guo, M., Hua, J. & Doukas, A. (2012). Does State Ownership Drive M&A Performance? Evidence from China. European Financial Management
- Doukas, J., Guo, M. & Zhou, B. (2011). “Hot” Debt Markets and Capital Structure.. European Financial Management 17(1): 46-99.
- Antoniou, A. , Guo, M. & Petmezas, D. (2008). Merger momentum and market valuations: The UK evidence.. Applied Financial Economics 18(17): 1411-1423.