Dr Sarah Xiao
BA(Hons), MBA, PhD
Dr Sarah Xiao is Senior Lecturer in Marketing at the Business School and Programme Director for the Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) in Shanghai. She is also a College Tutor and Resident Duty Officer for St Mary's College.
Dr Sarah Xiao is Senior Lecturer in Marketing in the Business School and Programme Director for the Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) at Fudan University in China.
A consumer psychologist, Sarah’s interests lie in the more unorthodox aspects of the consumption process. Her original PhD work here in Durham was an investigation of consumer behaviour toward counterfeit goods and she is an acknowledged authority in this area. Subsequent research has developed this theme of consumer ‘misbehaviour’ further, with work in areas as diverse as impulse buying, fraudulent return of goods and online consumer revenge. In respect of the latter, Sarah is currently undertaking a forensic analysis of consumer complaints for a major global manufacturer in the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) sector.
The online dimension is a key aspect of Sarah’s research. She has a broad interest in digital marketing and mobile commerce, collaborating with a range of academic and industry partners around the world. In 2013, she was awarded funding from both the National Social Science Foundation and the Shanghai Government for a study of information systems trading laws, a collaboration with colleagues from the East China University of Political Sciences and Law. Since 2014, Sarah has also been Principal Investigator on a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with a major agency in the design sector, having been awarded £135K from the UK Technology Strategy Board for a project on omni-channel consumer decision-making and brand management. Her work regularly appears highly ranked international journals, such as Industrial Marketing Management, the International Journal of Management Reviews, and the European Journal of Financial Management.
Sarah continues to work with institutions around the world on consumer research and teaching projects, collaborating with colleagues from institutions ranging from Babson College and the University of Miami in the United States, through to Fudan University (China), the European Business School (Germany) and the University of Jordan. Her organisational partners similarly include a range of private and public sector bodies, from Alcatel-Lucent to the Anti-Counterfeiting Bureau.
Sarah makes teaching contributions across the School’s postgraduate and executive education programmes. She also belongs to a number of professional bodies, such as the British Academy of Management, Academy of Marketing Science, and the Society for Consumer Psychology. Prior to arriving in Durham, however, she enjoyed a successful career in marketing and business development, as well as being an entrepreneur and Managing Director within the IT industry.
- Behavioural Change
- Consumer Behaviour Analysis
- Illicit Consumption and Consumer Misbehaviour
- Neuroscience, Marketing and Consumer Choice
- Mobile commerce
- Social Marketing, especially within the context of health, Digital Marketing and consumer data analytics
- Iyer, G.R., Blut, M., Xiao, S,H. & Grewal, D. (2020). Impulse buying a meta-analytic review.. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 48(3): 384-404.
- Zeng, G., Cao, X., Lin, Z. & Xiao, S. (2020). When online reviews meet virtual reality: Effects on consumer hotel booking . Annals of Tourism Research 81: 102860.
- Obeidat, Z. M. AlGharabat, R. S. Alalwan, A. A. Xiao, S. H. , Dwivedi, Y. K. & Rana, N. P. (2020). Narcissism, interactivity, community, and online revenge behavior: The moderating role of social presence among Jordanian consumers. Computers in Human Behavior 104: 106170.
- Wen, J. Lin, Z., Liu, X. Xiao, S. H. & Li, Y. (2020). The interaction effects of online reviews, brand and price on consumer hotel booking decision making.. Journal of Travel Research
- Obeidat, Z. M., Xiao, S. H., al Qasem, Z., al dweeri, R. & Obeidat, A. (2018). Social media revenge: A typology of online consumer revenge. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 24: 239-255.
- Obeidat, Z.M.I., Xiao, Sarah, Iyer, G.R. & Nicholson, M. (2017). Consumer Revenge Using the Internet and Social Media: An Examination of the Role of Service Failure Types and Cognitive Appraisal Processes.. Psychology & Marketing 34(4): 496-515.
- Lam, H.Y.T., Doukas, A.J., Guo, M. & Xiao, S. (2016). Media endorsements of new product announcements a new marketing strategy.. European financial management 22(3): 394-426.
- Iyer, G.R., Xiao, S., Sharma, A. & Nicholson, M. (2015). Behavioral issues in price setting in business-to-business marketing: a framework for analysis.. Industrial marketing management 47: 6-16.
- Xiao, S. & Nicholson, M. (2013). A multidisciplinary cognitive behavioural framework of impulse buying: A systematic review of the literature. International Journal of Management Reviews 15(3): 333-356.
- Alshurideh, M., Nicholson, M. & Xiao, S.H. (2012). The Effect of Previous Experience on Mobile Subscribers' Repeat Purchase Behaviour. European Journal of Social Sciences 30(3): 366-376.
- Xiao, S.H. & Nicholson, M. (2011). Consumer consideration of non-deceptive counterfeit goods: a contingency matrix approach. The Service Industries Journal 31(15): 2617-2631.
- Nicholson, M. & Xiao, S.H. (2011). Consumer behaviour analysis and social marketing practice. The Service Industries Journal 31(15): 2529-2542.
- Xiao, S.H. & Nicholson, M. (2011). Mapping impulse buying: a behaviour analysis framework for services marketing and consumer research. The Service Industries Journal 31(15): 2515-2528.
- Nicholson, M. & Xiao, S.H. (2010). On the Evolutionary Bases of Consumer Reinforcement. Journal of Organizational Behavior Management 30(2): 127-144.
- Xiao, S.H. & Nicholson, M. (2010). Trick or Treat? An Examination of Marketing Relationships in a Non-deceptive Counterfeit Market. Journal of Organizational Behavior Management 30(3): 247-270.
- Zhang, Yakun Xiao, Sarah Hong & Nicholson, Mike (Published). The Effects of Dynamic Product Presentation and Contextual Backgrounds on Consumer Purchase Intentions: Perspectives from the Load Theory of Attention and Cognitive Control. Journal of Advertising
- Xue, T., Xiao, S.H. & Iyer G. (2016), Psychological Distance in Cause-related Product Buying Decisions, 18th Academy of Marketing Science World Marketing Congress. University of Bari Aldo Moro, Bari, Italy., University of Bari Aldo Moro, Bari.
- Xiao, S.H. & Nicholson, M. (2015), Context variation in opt-in choice of mobile advertising, EMAC 2015 Conference. KU Leuven and Vlerick Business School. Leuven, Belgium., KU Leuven and Vlerick Business School, Leuven.
- Xiao, S.H., Iyer, G.R., & Nicholson, M. (2014), A Cross-National Examination of Impulsivity and Impulse Buying Behaviors, Second International Conference on Global Business, Economics, Finance and Social Sciences GB14 conference. Hyatt Regency, 365, Anna Salai, Teynampet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, Hyatt Regency, Tamil Nad.
- Obeidat, Z.M.U., Xiao, S.H. & Iyer, G. R. (2014), Antecedents and Moderators of Customer Online Revenge Intentions: A Cross-Cultural Examination, Marketing EDGE Direct/Interactive Marketing Research Summit. San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, CA., San Diego Convention Center.
- Xue, T., Xiao, S.H. & Iyer, G. (2014), Beyond Charitable Giving: A Cross-National Investigation of Psychological Distance in Cause-Related Product Buying Decisions, 2014 Shopper Marketing & Pricing Conference. AMA SIG, the Stockholm School of Economics., Stockholm School of Economics.
- Xue, T. & Xiao, S.H. (2014), Beyond helping: The Role of Psychological Distance in Cause-related Product Buying Decision, EMAC 2014 Conference. University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain., University of Valencia.
- Obeidat, Z.M.U. & Xiao, S.H. (2014), Why Do Consumers Get Revenge Online: A Cross-national Examination, EMAC 2014 Conference. University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain., University of Valencia.
- Defty, M., Xiao, S. H. & Iyer, G. (2013), The Influence of Buyer Attitudes on the Organization’s Green Buying, 2013 Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference. Monterey Bay, California.US., Monterey Bay CA
- Xiao, S.H., Iyer, G. & Nicholson, M. (2013), Impulsivity and Impulse Buying: A Cross-National Examination, EMAC 2013 Conference. ITU in Istanbul, Turkey., ITU, Istanbul.
- Obeidat, Z.M.U. & Xiao, S.H. (2013), Online Consumer Revenage: Forms & Cause, EMAC 2013 Conference. ITU in Istanbul, Turkey., ITU, Istanbul.
- Guo, J,, Xiao, S. H., Li, C.J. & Iyer, G. (2013), Transition to a Makret Economy & Corporate Governance in Privatizing Firm, 7th International Great Lakes NASMEI Conference. Manamai, India. Manamai.
- Xiao, S. H. & Yermekbayeva, D. (2012), Opt-in Choice of Mobile Advertising: The Role of Usage Context Paper, Academy of Marketing Annual Conference 2012. University of Southampton, Southampton, UK., University of Southampton.
- Xiao, S. H. & Nicholson, M. (2012), The Role of Impulsivity in Impulse Purchasing Decision Making - A Cross-Culture Comparison, Advertising and Consumer Psychology (ACP) Conference 2012. NanYang Technological University, Singapore., NanYang Technological University.
- Yermekbayeva, D. & Xiao, S.H. (2011), An investigation of determinants of opt-in mobile advertising choice behaviour, 40th EMAC Annual Conference. Ljubljana, Slovenia., Ljubljana.
- Xiao, S. H. & Nicholson, M (2010), Understanding the role of impulsivity in impulse buying: a Chinese adaptation of the UPPS impulse behavior scale, British Academy of Management Conference. Sheffield, UK., Sheffield.
- Xiao, S.H. & Nicholson, M. (2009), Consumer Behaviour Towards Counterfeit Goods – A Situational Perspective, British Academy of Management Conference. Brighton, UK., Brighton.
- Xiao, S.H., Newman, A.J. & Nicholson, M. (2009), A Critical Review of Impulse Purchasing and its Measurement, Spring Conference of the Marketing Management Association. Chicago, USA., Chicago IL.
- Nicholson, M. & Xiao, S.H. (2008), Symposium: Old Wine in New Bottles? Social Marketing and Consumer Behaviour Analysis, British Academy of Management Conference. Harrogate, UK., Harrogate.
- Nicholson, M. & Xiao, S.H. (2008), Social Marketing and Behaviour Analysis: Some thoughts on the management of obesity, Symposium on the Management of Obesity. Salford Business School, UK., Salford Business School.
- Xiao, S.H. & Nicholson, M. (2007), Trick or Treat? An Examination of Marketing Relationships in a Non deceptive Counterfeit Marketplace, 5th International Conference on Business, Economics, Management & Marketing. Athens, Greece., Athens.
- Nicholson, M. & Xiao, S.H. (2007), Consumer Channel Choice as an Operant Process, 5th International Conference on Business, Economics, Management & Marketing. Athens, Greece., Athens.
- Xiao, S.H. & Nicholson, M. (2007), Luxury for the Masses: An Exploratory Study on New Luxury Brands Consumption in China, 3rd Annual Colloquium of the Academy of Marketing's Brand, Corporate Identity and Reputation Special Interest Group. London, UK., London.
- Xiao, S.H. & Nicholson, M. (2004), Faking It! Consumer Behaviour towards Counterfeit Goods in China, 2nd International Conference on Business, Economics, Management & Marketing. Athens, Greece., Athens.
- Nicholson, M. & Xiao, S.H. (2007). Darwin's Ghost: Evolutionary Psychology and Consumer Behaviour Analysis.
- Xiao, S.H. (2007). Trick or treat? An examination of marketing relationships in a non-deceptive counterfeit market.. WP-107: 42.