Professor Sascha Kraus
Dr. rer. soc. oec., Ph.D., Habilitation
Sascha Kraus is Full Professor of Entrepreneurship at Durham University Business School.
He received a doctorate in Social and Economic Sciences (Dr. rer. soc. oec.) from Klagenfurt University, Austria, a Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering and Management from Helsinki University of Technology (now Aalto University) and a Habilitation (Venia Docendi) from Lappeenranta University of Technology, both in Finland. Before joining DUBS, he held Full Professor positions at Utrecht University, The Netherlands, the University of Liechtenstein and École Supérieure du Commerce Extérieur, a Grande École in Paris, France. He also worked as Visiting Professor at Copenhagen Business School, Denmark and at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, and was Participating Professor at the “European Entrepreneurship Colloquium on Participant-Centered Learning” (EECPCL) at Harvard University.
His main research areas are Strategy, Internationalization, Entrepreneurship and Innovation. He is the author of more than 100 academic articles, his research being published in outlets such as the British Journal of Management, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Journal of Small Business Management, Journal of World Business, The Leadership Quarterly, Psychology & Marketing, or Small Business Economics.
The leading German financial magazine “Wirtschaftswoche” ranked Professor Kraus no. 6 of all German-speaking Business & Management professors in the category “Current Research Performance” in 2019, after no. 19 in the "Handelsblatt" ranking from 2014, and no. 50 in the one before from 2012 (here also no. 24 the category "Young Scholar").
- Kraus, S., Breier, M. & Dasí-Rodríguez, S. (2020). The art of crafting a systematic literature review in entrepreneurship research.. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal
- Calabrò, A., Vecchiarini, M., Gast, J., Campopiano, G., De Massis, A. & Kraus, S. (2019). Innovation in Family Firms: A Systematic Literature Review and Guidance for Future Research. International Journal of Management Reviews 21(3): 317-355.
- Bouncken, R.B., Fredrich, V. & Kraus, S. (2019). Configurations of firm-level value capture in coopetition. Long Range Planning
- Clauss, T., Bouncken, R.B., Laudien, S. & Kraus, S. (2019). Business model reconfiguration and innovation in smes: A mixed-method analysis from the electronics industry. International Journal of Innovation Management
- Bouncken, R. B., Kraus, S. & Roig-Tierno, N. (2019). Knowledge- and innovation-based business models for future growth: digitalized business models and portfolio considerations. Review of Managerial Science
- Hughes, M., Cesinger, B., Cheng, C.-F., Schuessler, F. & Kraus, S. (2019). A configurational analysis of network and knowledge variables explaining Born Globals' and late internationalizing SMEs' international performance. Industrial Marketing Management 80: 172-187.
- Basco, R., Campopiano, G., Calabrò, A. & Kraus, S. (2019). They Are Not All the Same! Investigating the Effect of Executive versus Non-executive Family Board Members on Firm Performance. Journal of Small Business Management
- Bouncken, R., Fredrich, V., Kraus, S. & Ritala, P. (2019). Innovation alliances: Balancing value creation dynamics, competitive intensity and market overlap. Journal of Business Research
- Kallmuenzer, A., Kraus, S., Peters, M., Steiner, J. & Cheng, C.-F. (2019). Entrepreneurship in tourism firms: A mixed-methods analysis of performance driver configurations. Tourism Management 74: 319-330.
- Palmer, C., Niemand, T., Stöckmann, C., Kraus, S. & Kailer, N. (2019). The interplay of entrepreneurial orientation and psychological traits in explaining firm performance. Journal of Business Research 94: 183-194.
- Kraus, S., Klimas, P., Gast, J. & Stephan, T. (2019). Sleeping with competitors: Forms, antecedents and outcomes of coopetition of small and medium-sized craft beer breweries. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research 25(1): 50-66.
- Kraus, S., Gast, J., Schleich, M., Jones, P. & Ritter, M. (2019). Content is King: How SMEs Create Content for Social Media Marketing under Limited Resources. . Journal of Macromarketing 39(4): 415-430.
- Niemand, T., Mai, R. & Kraus, S. (2019). The zero-price effect in freemium business models: The moderating effects of free mentality and price–quality inference. Psychology and Marketing 36(8): 773-790.
- Ambos, Tina C., Cesinger, Beate, Eggers, Felix & Kraus, Sascha (2019). How does de-globalization affect location decisions? A study of managerial perceptions of risk and return. Global Strategy Journal
- Fredrich, V., Bouncken, R.B. & Kraus, S. (2019). The race is on: Configurations of absorptive capacity, interdependence and slack resources for interorganizational learning in coopetition alliances. Journal of Business Research 101: 862-868.
- Salahaldin, L., Angerer, M., Kraus, S. & Trabelsi, D. (2019). A duration-based model of crowdfunding project choice. Finance Research Letters 29: 404-410.
- Kang, Q., Li, H., Cheng, Y. & Kraus, S. (2019). Entrepreneurial ecosystems: analysing the status quo.. Knowledge Management Research & Practice
- Hindle, K., Viala, C., Hammerschmidt, J., Kraus, S., Jones, P. & Calabuig, F (2019). Converting sporting capacity to entrepreneurial capacity: A process perspective. European Journal of International Management
- Scott, S , Hughes, P, Hodgkinson, I & Kraus, S (2019). Technology Adoption Factors in the Digitization of Popular Culture: Analyzing the Online Gambling Market. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 148: 119717.
- Scott, S. A., Hughes, M. & Kraus, S. (2019). Developing relationships in innovation clusters.. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 31(1-2): 22-45.
- Vallaster, C., Kraus, S., Merigó Lindahl, J.M. & Nielsen, A. (2019). Ethics and entrepreneurship: A bibliometric study and literature review. Journal of Business Research 99: 226-237.
- Maran, T., Furtner, M., Liegl, S., Kraus,S. & Sachse,P. (2019). In the eye of a leader: eye-directed gazing shapes perceptions of leaders’ charisma.. The Leadership Quarterly 30(6): 101337.
- Bouncken, R.B., Fredrich, V., Ritala, P. & Kraus, S. (2018). Coopetition in New Product Development Alliances: Advantages and Tensions for Incremental and Radical Innovation. British Journal of Management 29(3): 391-410.
- Thies, F., Huber, A., Bock, C., Benlian, A. & Kraus, S. (2018). Following the Crowd—Does Crowdfunding Affect Venture Capitalists’ Selection of Entrepreneurial Ventures? Journal of Small Business Management
- Filser, M., De Massis, A., Gast, J., Kraus, S. & Niemand, T. (2018). Tracing the Roots of Innovativeness in Family SMEs: The Effect of Family Functionality and Socioemotional Wealth. Journal of Product Innovation Management 35(4): 609-628.
- Eggers, F., Niemand, T., Kraus, S. & Breier, M. (2018). Developing a scale for entrepreneurial marketing: Revealing its inner frame and prediction of performance. Journal of Business Research
- Hughes, M., Rigtering, J.P.C., Covin, J.G., Bouncken, R.B. & Kraus, S. (2018). Innovative Behaviour, Trust and Perceived Workplace Performance. British Journal of Management 29(4): 750-768.
- Clauss, T., Breitenecker, R.J., Kraus, S., Brem, A. & Richter, C. (2018). Directing the wisdom of the crowd: the importance of social interaction among founders and the crowd during crowdfunding campaigns. Economics of Innovation and New Technology 27(8): 731-751.
- Hughes, M., Filser, M., Harms, R., Kraus, S., Chang, M.-L. & Cheng, C.-F. (2018). Family Firm Configurations for High Performance: The Role of Entrepreneurship and Ambidexterity. British Journal of Management 29(4): 595-612.
- Eggers, F., Niemand, T., Filser, M., Kraus, S. & Berchtold, J. (2018). To network or not to network – Is that really the question? The impact of networking intensity and strategic orientations on innovation success. Technological Forecasting and Social Change
- Gast, J., Filser, M., Rigtering, J.P.C., Harms, R., Kraus, S. & Chang, M.-L. (2018). Socioemotional Wealth and Innovativeness in Small- and Medium-Sized Family Enterprises: A Configuration Approach. Journal of Small Business Management 56: 53-67.
- Kraus, S., Kallmuenzer, A., Stieger, D., Peters, M. & Calabrò, A. (2018). Entrepreneurial paths to family firm performance. Journal of Business Research 88: 382-387.
- Ribeiro-Soriano, D. & Kraus, S. (2018). An Overview of Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Sensemaking for Improving Decisions. Group Decision and Negotiation 27(3): 313-320.
- Breitenecker, R.J., Harms, R., Weyh, A., Maresch, D. & Kraus, S. (2017). When the difference makes a difference–the regional embeddedness of entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 29(1-2): 71-93.
- Eggers, F., Hatak, I., Kraus, S. & Niemand, T. (2017). Technologies That Support Marketing and Market Development in SMEs—Evidence from Social Networks. Journal of Small Business Management 55(2): 270-302.
- Kraus, S., Niemand, T., Halberstadt, J., Shaw, E. & Syrjä, P. (2017). Social entrepreneurship orientation: development of a measurement scale. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research 23(6): 977-997.
- Kraus, S., Brem, A., Schuessler, M., Schuessler, F. & Niemand, T. (2017). Innovative Born Globals: Investigating The Influence Of Their Business Models On International Performance. International Journal of Innovation Management 21(1).
- Bouncken, R., Brem, A. & Kraus, S. (2016). Multi-cultural teams as sources for creativity and innovation: The role of cultural diversity on team performance. International Journal of Innovation Management 20(1).
- Kraus, S., Mensching, H., Calabrò, A., Cheng, C.-F. & Filser, M. (2016). Family firm internationalization: A configurational approach. Journal of Business Research 69(11): 5473-5478.
- Filser, M., Brem, A., Gast, J., Kraus, S. & Calabrò, A. (2016). Innovation in family firms: Examining the inventory and mapping the path. International Journal of Innovation Management 20(6).
- Kraus, S., Meier, F. & Niemand, T. (2016). Experimental methods in entrepreneurship research: the status quo. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research 22(6): 958-983.
- Cesinger, B., Hughes, M., Mensching, H., Bouncken, R., Fredrich, V. & Kraus, S. (2016). A socioemotional wealth perspective on how collaboration intensity, trust, and international market knowledge affect family firms’ multinationality.. Journal of World Business 51(4): 586-599.
- Covin, J.G., Eggers, F., Kraus, S., Cheng, C.-F. & Chang, M.-L. (2016). Marketing-related resources and radical innovativeness in family and non-family firms: A configurational approach. Journal of Business Research 69(12): 5620-5627.
- Semrau, T., Ambos, T. & Kraus, S. (2016). Entrepreneurial orientation and SME performance across societal cultures: An international study. Journal of Business Research 69(5): 1928-1932.
- Kraus, S., Ambos, T.C., Eggers, F. & Cesinger, B. (2015). Distance and perceptions of risk in internationalization decisions. Journal of Business Research 68(7): 1501-1505.
- Gast, J., Filser, M., Gundolf, K. & Kraus, S. (2015). Coopetition research: Towards a better understanding of past trends and future directions. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 24(4): 492-521.
- Richter, C., Kraus, S. & Syrjä, P. (2015). The shareconomy as a precursor for digital entrepreneurship business models. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 25(1): 18-35.
- Kraus, S., Richter, C., Papagiannidis, S. & Durst, S. (2015). Innovating and Exploiting Entrepreneurial Opportunities in Smart Cities: Evidence from Germany. Creativity and Innovation Management 24(4): 601-616.
- Werner, A., Gast, J. & Kraus, S. (2014). The effect of working time preferences and fair wage perceptions on entrepreneurial intentions among employees. Small Business Economics 43(1): 137-160.
- Harms, R., Luck, F., Kraus, S. & Walsh, S. (2014). On the motivational drivers of gray entrepreneurship: An exploratory study. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 89: 358-365.
- Schuessler, F., Schaper, M.T. & Kraus, S. (2014). Entrepreneurship in an Alpine micro-nation: The case of Liechtenstein. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 22(1): 106-114.
- Rigtering, J.P.C., Kraus, S., Eggers, F. & Jensen, S.H. (2014). A comparative analysis of the entrepreneurial orientation/growth relationship in service firms and manufacturing firms. Service Industries Journal 34(4): 275-294.
- Craig, J.B., Pohjola, M., Kraus, S. & Jensen, S.H. (2014). Exploring relationships among proactiveness, risk-taking and innovation output in family and non-family firms. Creativity and Innovation Management 23(2): 199-210.
- Eggers, F., Kraus, S. & Covin, J.G. (2014). Traveling into unexplored territory: Radical innovativeness and the role of networking, customers, and technologically turbulent environments. Industrial Marketing Management 43(8): 1385-1393.
- Eggers, F., O'Dwyer, M., Kraus, S., Vallaster, C. & Güldenberg, S. (2013). The impact of brand authenticity on brand trust and SME growth: A CEO perspective. Journal of World Business 48(3): 340-348.
- Kraus, S. (2013). The role of entrepreneurial orientation in service firms: Empirical evidence from Austria. Service Industries Journal 33(5): 427-444.
- Bouncken, R.B. & Kraus, S. (2013). Innovation in knowledge-intensive industries: The double-edged sword of coopetition. Journal of Business Research 66(10): 2060-2070.
- Eggers, F., Kraus, S., Hughes, M., Laraway, S. & Snycerski, S. (2013). Implications of Customer and Entrepreneurial Orientations for SME Growth.. Management Decision 51(3): 524-546.
- Cesinger, B., Fink, M., Madsen, T.K. & Kraus, S. (2012). Rapidly internationalizing ventures: How definitions can bridge the gap across contexts. Management Decision 50(10): 1816-1842.
- Konsti-Laakso, S., Pihkala, T. & Kraus, S. (2012). Facilitating SME innovation capability through business networking. Creativity and Innovation Management 21(1): 93-105.
- Siems, F.U., Kraus, S. & Pollok, P. (2012). Entrepreneurial pricing: Characteristics and implications of pricing in SMEs and start-ups. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 16(4): 436-454.
- Kraus, S. & Werner, A. (2012). Nascent migrant entrepreneurship in Germany - Is there a cultural imprinting effect? International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 15(3): 320-339.
- Kohtamäki, M., Kraus, S., Mäkelä, M. & Rönkkö, M. (2012). The role of personnel commitment to strategy implementation and organisational learning within the relationship between strategic planning and company performance. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research 18(2): 159-178.
- Kraus, S., Märk, S. & Peters, M. (2011). The influences of family on the everyday business of a family firm entrepreneur. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 12(1): 82-100.
- Matser, I., Kraus, S. & Märk, S. (2011). Securing post-succession continuity in family firms through knowledge transfer. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 14(4): 478-496.
- Vallaster, C. & Kraus, S. (2011). Entrepreneurial branding: Growth and its implications for brand management. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 14(3): 369-390.
- Kohtamäki, Marko, Kautonen, Teemu & Kraus, Sascha (2010). Strategic Planning and Small Business Performance. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation 11(3): 221.
- Jensen, S.H., Poulfelt, F. & Kraus, S. (2010). Managerial routines in professional service firms: Transforming knowledge into competitive advantages. Service Industries Journal 30(12): 2045-2062.
- Roessl, Dietmar, Fink, Matthias & Kraus, Sascha (2010). Does Size Matter? Balancing Power in Dyadic Cooperation Relationships. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation 11(2): 119.
- Harms, R., Kraus, S. & Schwarz, E. (2009). The suitability of the configuration approach in entrepreneurship research. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 21(1): 25-49.
- Kohtamäki, Marko, Kraus, Sascha, Kautonen, Teemu & Varamäki, Elina (2008). Strategy in Small Growth-Oriented Firms in Finland: A Discourse Analysis Approach. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation 9(3): 167.
- Fink, M., Harms, R. & Kraus, S. (2008). Cooperative internationalization of SMEs: Self-commitment as a success factor for International Entrepreneurship. European Management Journal 26(6): 429-440.