Dr Martyn Griffin
Martyn has been an associate professor in management and marketing at the business school since May 2018. Before this he was a lecturer at Leeds University and secured his PhD from Newcastle University in 2010. Martyn is responsible for teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, carrying out research in areas such as workplace democracy and cultural perceptions of work and organization. Martyn canbe contacted to discuss his work or by potential postgraduate students interested in the above areas of research.
- Learmonth M. & Griffin, M. (2020). Fiction and the identity of the manager. In The OXFORD handbook of identities in organization. Brown, A. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 455-470.
- Learmonth, M & Griffin, M (2018). Analysing Fiction: the example of women's work in Disney animations (1937-2013). In The Sage Handbook of Qualitative Business and Management Research methods: Methods and Challenges. Cassell, C, Cunliffe, A.L & Grandy, G (eds) Sage. 152-169.
- Learmonth, M., Humphreys, M. & Griffin, M. (2016). Doing management education with Free jazz and Derrida. In The Routledge companion to reinventing management education. Beyes, T., Parker, M. & Stayaert C. Abingdon: Routledge. 178-190.
- Fraser, R. & Griffin, M. (2020). "Why sit ye here and Die"? Counter-Hegemonic Histories of the Black Female Intellectual in Nineteenth Century America. Journal of American Studies 54(5): 1005-1031.
- King,D. & Griffin, M. (2019). Nonprofits as schools for democracy: The justifications for organizational democracy within nonprofit organizations. Nonprofit Voluntary Quarterly 48(5): 910-930.
- Griffin, M., Learmonth, M. & Piper, N. (2018). Organizational Readiness: Culturally Mediated Learning Through Disney Animation. . Academy of Management Learning & Education 17(1): 4-23.
- Griffin, M., Harding, N. & Learmonth, M. (2017). Whistle while you Work? Disney Animation, Organizational Readiness and Gendered Subjugation. . Organization Studies 38(7): 869-894.
- Griffin, M., Humphreys, M. & Learmonth, M. (2015). Doing Free Jazz and Free Organizations, "A Certain Experience of the Impossible"? Ornette Coleman Encounters Jacques Derrida. Journal of Management Inquiry 24(1): 25-35.
- Griffin, M., Learmonth, M. & Elliott, C. (2015). Non-Domination, Contestation and Freedom: The Contribution of Philip Pettit to Learning and Democracy in Organizations . Management Learning 46(3): 317-336.
- Griffin, M. (2013). How Reasonable is Intactivism? A Reply to Von Howe. Global Discourse 3(2): 234-236.
- Griffin, M. (2012). Culture, Community and Cognition: A Vygotskian Foundation for a Republican Approach to Deliberative Democracy. Studies in Marxism 13: 81-101.
- Griffin, M. (2012). Deliberative Democracy and Emotional Intelligence: An Internal Mechanism to Regulate the Emotions. Studies in Philosophy and Education 31(6): 517-538.
- Doyle, M. & Griffin, M. (2012). Raised aspirations and attainment? A review of the impact of Aimhigher (2004–2011) on widening participation in higher education in England. London Review of Education 10(1): 105-115.
- Griffin, M. (2011). Motivating Reflective Citizens: Deliberative Democracy and the Internal Deliberative Virtues. The Journal of Value Inquiry 45(2): 175-186.
- Griffin, M. (2011). Developing Deliberative Minds- Piaget, Vygotsky and the Deliberative Democratic Citizen. Journal of Public Deliberation Volume 7(Issue 1): 2, 1-28.