Prof Kevin Morrell
Prior to joining Durham, Kevin was previously a Professor of Strategy at Warwick Business School (WBS). He was also a British Academy Mid-Career Fellow (2015-16) and Head of the WBS Strategy and International Business Group.
Kevin is a Professor of Strategy and Director of the PhD Programme. He is fascinated by a fundamental strategic question: how can corporations, public servants and leaders enhance the public good? His interests branch out to other fields in management such as leadership, corporate social responsibility, and the relationship between management knowledge and practice - the relevance debate.
To provide distinctive answers to this question Kevin draws on his first degree - philosophy and is known internationally as a committed and passionate advocate of drawing on the humanities to understand organizations; for instance as a leading critic of the "evidence-based" approach.
In 2015 Kevin was awarded a British Academy Mid-Career Fellowship on 'Policing and the Public Good'. There were 35 of these awards across all the Social Sciences and Humanities. .
- Critical Management Studies
- Public Administration
- Learmonth, M. & Morrell,K. (2019). Critical Perspectives on Leadership:The Language of Corporate Power.. Routledge.
- Noon, Mike, Blyton, Paul & Morrell, Kevin (2013). The realities of work: experiencing work and employment in contemporary society. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Morrell, Kevin (2012). Organization, society and politics: an Aristotelian perspective. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Mellahi, Kamel, Morrell, Kevin & Wood, Geoffrey (2010). The ethical business. Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave McMillan.
- Morrell, K. & Learmonth, M. (2016). Evidence-based management. In The OXFORD handbook of management. Wilkinson, A., Lounsbury, M. & Armstrong, S.J. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kassotaki, O., Paroutis, S. & Morrell, K. (2019). Ambidexterity penetration across multiple organizational levels in an aerospace and defense organization.. Long Range Planning 52(3): 366-385.
- Frederik, D., Stubbs, W., Dave,G. & Kevin, M. (2019). Corporate actors, the UN Sustainable Development Goals and Earth System Governance: A research agenda.. The Anthropocene Review 6(1-2): 167-176.
- Morrell, K., Hewison, A. & Heracleous,L. (2019). From events to personal histories: narrating change in health-care organizations.. Public Management Review
- Arikan, Ozlem, Reinecke, Juliane, Spence, Crawford & Morrell, Kevin (2017). Signposts or weathervanes? The curious case of corporate social responsibility and conflict minerals.. Journal of Business Ethics 146(3): 469-484.
- Learmonth, M. & Morrell, K. (2017). Is Critical Leadership Studies ‘Critical’?. Leadership 13(3): 257-271.
- Morrell, Kevin & Brammer, Stephen (2016). Governance and virtue: the case of public order policing. Journal of Business Ethics 136(2): 385-398.
- Jayawardhena, Chanaka, Morrell, Kevin & Stride, Chris (2016). Ethical consumption behaviours in supermarket shoppers determinants and marketing implications. Journal of Marketing Management 32(6-8): 777-805.
- Currie, Graeme, Tuck, Penelope & Morrell, Kevin (2015). How hybrid managers act as “canny customers” to accelerate policy reform: A case study of regulator-regulatee relationships in the UK’s tax agency.. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal 28(8): 1291-1309.
- Morrell, Kevin & Currie, Graeme (2015). Impossible jobs or impossible tasks? Client volatility and frontline policing practice in urban riots. Public Administration Review 75(2): 264-275.
- Morrell, K. & Learmonth, M. (2015). Against evidence-based management, for management learning.. Academy of Management Learning and Education 14(4): 520-533.
- Morrell, K., Learmonth, M. & Heracleous, L. (2015). An Archaeological Critique of 'Evidence-Based Management': one digression after another.. British Journal of Management 26(3): 529-543.
- Morrell, Kevin & Tuck, Penelope (2014). Governance, tax and folk tales. Accounting, Organizations and Society 39(2): 134-147.
- Hewison, Alistair & Morrell, Kevin (2014). Leadership development in the English National Health Service: a counter narrative to inform policy. International Journal of Nursing Studies 51(4): 677-688.
- Lucas, Jeffrey W., Morrell, Kevin & Posard, Marek (2013). Considerations on the ‘Replication Problem’ in Sociology. The American Sociologist 44(2): 217-232.
- Morrell, Kevin & Hewison, Alistair (2013). Rhetoric in policy texts: the role of enthymeme in Darzi's review of the NHS. Policy & Politics 41(1): 59-79.
- Morrell, Kevin (2012). Evidence-based dialectics. Organization 19(4): 461-479.
- Morrell, Kevin & Lucas, Jeffrey W. (2012). The replication problem and its implications for policy studies. Critical Policy Studies 6(2): 182-200.
- Morrell, Kevin & Harrington-Buhay, Nicola (2012). What is governance in the 'public interest'? The case of the 1995 property forum in post-conflict Nicaragua. Public Administration 90(2): 412-428.
- Mabey, C. & Morrell, K. (2011). Leadership in crisis: ‘Events, my dear boy, events’. Leadership 7(2): 105-117.
- Morrell, K. (2010). Leadership, Rhetoric and Formalist Literary Theory. Journal of Leadership Studies 3(4): 86-90.
- Morrell, Kevin & Clark, Ian (2010). Private equity and the public good. Journal of Business Ethics 96(2): 249-263.
- Morrell, K. (2010). Provocation: Business schools and economic crisis – Narratives, scripts and schools: counter-scripts as a response to the credit crisis. International Journal of Management Concepts and Philosophy 4(1): 21-27.
- Morrell, Kevin & Jayawardhena, Chanaka (2010). Fair trade, ethical decision making and the narrative of gender difference. Business Ethics: A European Review 19(4): 393-407.
- Morrell, Kevin (2009). Governance and the public good. Public Administration 87(3): 538-556.
- Morrell, Kevin (2008). The Narrative of ‘Evidence Based’ Management: A Polemic. Journal of Management Studies 45(3): 613-635.
- Morrell, Kevin & Jayawardhena, Chanaka (2008). Myopia and choice: framing, screening and shopping. Journal of Marketing Management 24(1-2): 135-152.
- Morrell, Kevin, Loan-Clarke, John, Arnold, John & Wilkinson, Adrian (2008). Mapping the decision to quit: a refinement and test of the unfolding model of voluntary turnover. Applied Psychology 57(1): 128-150.
- Morrell, Kevin & Arnold, John (2007). Research article: Look after they leap: illustrating the value of retrospective reports in employee turnover. The International Journal of Human Resource Management 18(9): 1683-1699.
- Morrell, Kevin (2006). Aphorisms and Leaders' Rhetoric: A New Analytical Approach. Leadership 2(3): 367-382.
- Morrell, K. & Hartley J. (2006). Ethics in Leadership: The Case of Local Politician. Local Government Studies 32(1): 55-70.
- Morrell, K. & Hartley J. (2006). A Model of Political Leadership. Human Relations 59(4): 483-504.
- Morrell, K. (2006). Policy as narrative: New Labour’s reform of the National Health Service. Public administration 84(2): 367-385.
- Morrell, K. (2005). Towards a Typology of Nursing Turnover. Journal of Advanced Nursing 49(3): 315-322.
- Morrell, K., Loan Clarke J. & Wilkinson A. (2004). The Role of Shocks in Employee Turnover. British Journal of Management 15(4): 335-349.
- Morrell, K., Loan-Clarke J. & Wilkinson A. (2004). Organisational Change and Employee Turnover. Personnel Review 33(2): 161-173.
- Morrell, K. (2004). Decision Making and Business Ethics: the implications of using Image Theory in preference to Rational Choice. Journal of Business Ethics 50(3): 239-252.
- Morrell, K. (2004). Socratic Dialogue as a Tool for Teaching Business Ethic. Journal of Business Ethics 53(4): 383-392.
- Morrell, K. , Loan-Clarke J. & Wilkinson A. (2001). Unweaving leaving: the use of models in the management of employee turnover. International Journal of Management Reviews 3(3): 219-244.