Prof Kevin Morrell
Prior to joining Durham, Kevin was previously a Professor of Strategy at Warwick Business School (WBS). He was also a British Academy Mid-Career Fellow (2015-16) and Head of the WBS Strategy and International Business Group.
Kevin is a Professor of Strategy and Director of the Centre for Organisations and Society. He is fascinated by a fundamental strategic question: how can corporations, public servants and leaders enhance the public good? His interests branch out to other fields in management such as leadership, corporate social responsibility, and the relationship between management knowledge and practice - the relevance debate.
To provide distinctive answers to this question Kevin draws on his first degree - philosophy and is known internationally as a committed and passionate advocate of drawing on the humanities to understand organizations; for instance as a leading critic of the "evidence-based" approach.
In 2015 Kevin was awarded a British Academy Mid-Career Fellowship on 'Policing and the Public Good'. There were 35 of these awards across all the Social Sciences and Humanities. .
- Critical Management Studies
- Public Administration
- Learmonth, M. & Morrell,K. (2019). Critical Perspectives on Leadership:The Language of Corporate Power.. Routledge.
- Morrell, K. & Bradford, B. (2018). Policing and Public Management: Governance, Vices and Virtues. Routledge.
- Noon, Mike, Blyton, Paul & Morrell, Kevin (2013). The realities of work: experiencing work and employment in contemporary society. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Morrell, Kevin (2012). Organization, society and politics: an Aristotelian perspective. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Mellahi, Kamel, Morrell, Kevin & Wood, Geoffrey (2010). The ethical business. Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave McMillan.
- Morrell, K. & Rowe, M. (2020). Democracy, accountability and evidence-based policing: Who calls the shots? In Critical Reflections on Evidence-Based Policing. Fielding, N., Bullock, K. & Holdaway, S. Routledge.
- Javid, B. & Morrell, K (2019). Public Confidence in the Police: A Critical Review and Interrogation of Construct Clarity. In in Critical Perspectives on the Management and Organization of Emergency Services. Wankhade, P., McCann, L. & Murphy, P. Routledge.
- Morrell, K. & Learmonth, M. (2017). Evidence based management. In The Oxford Handbook of Management. Wilkinson, A., Armstrong, S. & Lounsbury, R. OUP: Oxford.
- Morrell, K. & Learmonth, M. (2017). Evidence-based management. In The OXFORD handbook of management. Wilkinson, A., Lounsbury, M. & Armstrong, S.J. Oxford: Oxford: Oxford University Press. 419-436.
- Morrell, K. (2016). Understanding and measuring employee turnover. In Research Handbook on Employee Turnover. Saridakis, G. & Cooper, C.L. Cheltenham, UK: Elgar.
- Morrell, K. & Burrow, R. (2014). Rhetorical technique and governance - Aphorisms and leaders’ political persuasion. In Rhetoric in British politics and society. Atkins, J., Finlayson, A., Martin, J. & Turnbull, N.
- Morrell, K. & Heracleous, L. (2014). Is Shareholder Empowerment a 'good thing'? In Shareholder Empowerment. Goranova, M. & Ryan, L. New York: Palgrave.
- Morrell, K. (Accepted). Organization as Koinōnia. In Handbook of Virtue Ethics in Business and Management. Sison, A.J.G. New York: Springer.
- Morrell, K. & Griffin, M. (2019), Post-Truth, Lies and Brexit, Academy of Management Conference. BOSTON, August 9-13 2019.
- Fernandes, O. J., Heracleous, L. & Morrell, K. (2017), Bridging cognitive and sociopolitical legitimacy judgments: A host policymaker’s perspective on base erosion in Multinational Enterprises, 33rd EGOS Colloquium. COPENHAGEN. July 6–8, 2017..
- Ozcan, P. Gurses, K., Yakis-Douglas, B. & Morrell, K. (2017), Who Owns The Airwaves? Using Cases Of Disruptive Communication Technology To Teach “Public Interest”, Druid17. NEW YORK, June 12-14 2017..
- Morrell, K. & Javid, B. (2016), How do we measure Public Confidence in Policing? Analysis of large scale survey data targeting Public Administration Review, 76th Academy of Management Conference. ANAHEIM, August 5-9 2016..
- Uotila, J. & Morrell, K. (2016), Can Strategy Be "Evidence-Based"?, The Search for Actionable Knowledge in Strategy’ 77th Academy of Management Conference. ATLANTA, August 5-9 2016..
- Learmonth, M. & Morrell, K (2016), Evidence based management and the Medicine as Management Motif, 76th Academy of Management Conference. ANAHEIM, August 5-9 2016..
- Kravcenko, D. & Morrell, K. (2015), A Narrative perspective on Materiality in Temporal Organizing, 75th Academy of Management Conference. VANCOUVER, August 7-11 2015..
- Heracleous, L. & Morrell, K. (2015), Space and Speech Act Theory, 75th Academy of Management Conference. VANCOUVER, August 7-11 2015..
- Morrell, K. & Lockett, A. (2015), Organizational Identification In Start-Ups: An Existential Perspective, 75th Academy of Management Conference. VANCOUVER, August 7-11 2015..
- Cooper, S., Currie, G. & Morrell, K. (2014), Influencing top tier internal and external executives: the case of the middle manager in shaping strategic decision making, 30th European Group of Organization Studies Colloquia. ROTTERDAM, July 3-5 2014.
- Morrell, K. (2014), Civilianization and its Discontents? Explaining the differential effects of organizational change on middle managers, 74th Academy of Management Conference. PHILADELPHIA, August 1-5 2014..
- Morrell, K. (2014), Just how Impossible are 'Impossible Jobs'? The case of riot policing, 74th Academy of Management Conference. PHILADELPHIA, August 1-5 2014..
- Morrell, K., Hewison, A. & Heracleous,L. (2020). From events to personal histories: narrating change in health-care organizations.. Public Management Review 22(6): 908-926.
- Morrell, K., Bradford, B. & Javid, B. (2020). What does it mean when we ask the public if they are “confident” in policing? The Trust, Fairness, Presence model of “public confidence”.. International Journal of Police Science and Management 22(2): 111-122.
- Frederik, D., Stubbs, W., Dave,G. & Kevin, M. (2019). Corporate actors, the UN Sustainable Development Goals and Earth System Governance: A research agenda.. The Anthropocene Review 6(1-2): 167-176.
- Kassotaki, O., Paroutis, S. & Morrell, K. (2019). Ambidexterity penetration across multiple organizational levels in an aerospace and defense organization.. Long Range Planning 52(3): 366-385.
- Arikan, Ozlem, Reinecke, Juliane, Spence, Crawford & Morrell, Kevin (2017). Signposts or weathervanes? The curious case of corporate social responsibility and conflict minerals.. Journal of Business Ethics 146(3): 469-484.
- Learmonth, M. & Morrell, K. (2017). Is Critical Leadership Studies ‘Critical’?. Leadership 13(3): 257-271.
- Jayawardhena, Chanaka, Morrell, Kevin & Stride, Chris (2016). Ethical consumption behaviours in supermarket shoppers determinants and marketing implications. Journal of Marketing Management 32(6-8): 777-805.
- Morrell, Kevin & Brammer, Stephen (2016). Governance and virtue: the case of public order policing. Journal of Business Ethics 136(2): 385-398.
- Morrell, Kevin & Currie, Graeme (2015). Impossible jobs or impossible tasks? Client volatility and frontline policing practice in urban riots. Public Administration Review 75(2): 264-275.
- Currie, Graeme, Tuck, Penelope & Morrell, Kevin (2015). How hybrid managers act as “canny customers” to accelerate policy reform: A case study of regulator-regulatee relationships in the UK’s tax agency.. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal 28(8): 1291-1309.
- Morrell, K., Learmonth, M. & Heracleous, L. (2015). An Archaeological Critique of 'Evidence-Based Management': one digression after another.. British Journal of Management 26(3): 529-543.
- Morrell, K. & Learmonth, M. (2015). Against evidence-based management, for management learning.. Academy of Management Learning and Education 14(4): 520-533.
- Morrell, Kevin & Tuck, Penelope (2014). Governance, tax and folk tales. Accounting, Organizations and Society 39(2): 134-147.
- Hewison, Alistair & Morrell, Kevin (2014). Leadership development in the English National Health Service: a counter narrative to inform policy. International Journal of Nursing Studies 51(4): 677-688.
- Lucas, Jeffrey W., Morrell, Kevin & Posard, Marek (2013). Considerations on the ‘Replication Problem’ in Sociology. The American Sociologist 44(2): 217-232.
- Morrell, Kevin & Hewison, Alistair (2013). Rhetoric in policy texts: the role of enthymeme in Darzi's review of the NHS. Policy & Politics 41(1): 59-79.
- Morrell, Kevin & Lucas, Jeffrey W. (2012). The replication problem and its implications for policy studies. Critical Policy Studies 6(2): 182-200.
- Morrell, Kevin (2012). Evidence-based dialectics. Organization 19(4): 461-479.
- Morrell, Kevin & Harrington-Buhay, Nicola (2012). What is governance in the 'public interest'? The case of the 1995 property forum in post-conflict Nicaragua. Public Administration 90(2): 412-428.
- Mabey, C. & Morrell, K. (2011). Leadership in crisis: ‘Events, my dear boy, events’. Leadership 7(2): 105-117.
- Morrell, K. (2010). Leadership, Rhetoric and Formalist Literary Theory. Journal of Leadership Studies 3(4): 86-90.
- Morrell, Kevin & Jayawardhena, Chanaka (2010). Fair trade, ethical decision making and the narrative of gender difference. Business Ethics: A European Review 19(4): 393-407.
- Morrell, K. (2010). Provocation: Business schools and economic crisis – Narratives, scripts and schools: counter-scripts as a response to the credit crisis. International Journal of Management Concepts and Philosophy 4(1): 21-27.
- Morrell, Kevin & Clark, Ian (2010). Private equity and the public good. Journal of Business Ethics 96(2): 249-263.
- Morrell, Kevin (2009). Governance and the public good. Public Administration 87(3): 538-556.
- Morrell, Kevin (2008). The Narrative of ‘Evidence Based’ Management: A Polemic. Journal of Management Studies 45(3): 613-635.
- Morrell, Kevin, Loan-Clarke, John, Arnold, John & Wilkinson, Adrian (2008). Mapping the decision to quit: a refinement and test of the unfolding model of voluntary turnover. Applied Psychology 57(1): 128-150.
- Morrell, Kevin & Jayawardhena, Chanaka (2008). Myopia and choice: framing, screening and shopping. Journal of Marketing Management 24(1-2): 135-152.
- Morrell, Kevin & Arnold, John (2007). Research article: Look after they leap: illustrating the value of retrospective reports in employee turnover. The International Journal of Human Resource Management 18(9): 1683-1699.
- Morrell, K. & Hartley J. (2006). A Model of Political Leadership. Human Relations 59(4): 483-504.
- Morrell, K. (2006). Policy as narrative: New Labour’s reform of the National Health Service. Public administration 84(2): 367-385.
- Morrell, Kevin (2006). Aphorisms and Leaders' Rhetoric: A New Analytical Approach. Leadership 2(3): 367-382.
- Morrell, K. & Hartley J. (2006). Ethics in Leadership: The Case of Local Politician. Local Government Studies 32(1): 55-70.
- Morrell, K. (2005). Towards a Typology of Nursing Turnover. Journal of Advanced Nursing 49(3): 315-322.
- Morrell, K. (2004). Socratic Dialogue as a Tool for Teaching Business Ethic. Journal of Business Ethics 53(4): 383-392.
- Morrell, K., Loan-Clarke J. & Wilkinson A. (2004). Organisational Change and Employee Turnover. Personnel Review 33(2): 161-173.
- Morrell, K. (2004). Decision Making and Business Ethics: the implications of using Image Theory in preference to Rational Choice. Journal of Business Ethics 50(3): 239-252.
- Morrell, K., Loan Clarke J. & Wilkinson A. (2004). The Role of Shocks in Employee Turnover. British Journal of Management 15(4): 335-349.
- Morrell, K. , Loan-Clarke J. & Wilkinson A. (2001). Unweaving leaving: the use of models in the management of employee turnover. International Journal of Management Reviews 3(3): 219-244.