Dr Barbara Bechter
Barbara is a Assistant Professor of Human Resource Management, she holds a PhD from the University of Vienna. Prior to joining Durham University Business School in June 2015, she taught at the York Management School. She is an Academic Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
Her scope of her research activities covers research on comparative industrial relations, including the European level, and issues concerning individual and collective aspects of the employment relationship. Such aspects are performance management and reward systems, employee motivation and co-determination, and cross-national and cross-industry differences in the organisational and institutional regulation of employment relationships. Her methodological background covers statistical and qualitative research techniques, with a special expertise in causal case study analysis. In the project Causal case study analysis: a comparison of methods in comparative industrial relations (funded by the Austrian Science Fund) she investigated the methodological possibilities of the Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) approach to systematically control for industrial relations factors in small N research.
Barbara’s recent research includes the study on Social Partner Engagement and Effectiveness in European Dialogue (SPEEED). She is the principal investigator of this two-year project (2016 - 2018) which has been funded by the European Commission. For more information on the project follow the link http://www.speeed.uk.
- Comparative Human Resource Management
- International Industrial Relations
- Reward and Performance Managment
- Comparative Methods
- Bechter, Barbara. & Brandl, Bernd. (2015). Recent Developments in European Industrial Relations. In Industrial Relations in Europe 2014. European Union. European Commission: Brussels.
- Bechter, Barbara. & Brandl, Bernd. (2013). Overview of European, national and public sector industrial relations. In Industrial Relations in Europe 2012. European Union. European Commission: Brussels. 21-52.
- Bechter, B. (2013). Seniority. In Sociology of Work Encyclopedia. Smith, V. SAGE. 757-759.
- Bechter, B. (2011). Changing collective bargaining: pay flexibility and the search for a fair model. In Changing Labour Relations between Path Dependency and Global Trends. Baglioni, M. & Brandl, B. Peter-Lang. 111-124.
- Arrowsmith, J., Nicholaisen, H., Bechter, B. & Nonell, R. (2008). The management of variable pay in banking: forms and rationale in four European countries. In Challenges in European Employment Relations. Blanpain, R. & Dickens, L. Alphen aan den Rijn, Netherlands: Kluwer Law International. 201-240.
- Bechter, B,, Braakmann, N, & Brandl, B (2019). Variable Pay and/or Collective Wage Bargaining? Complements or Substitutes?. Industrial and Labor Relations Review
- Bechter, B. & Brandl, B. (2019). The Hybridization of National Collective Bargaining Systems: The Impact of the Economic Crisis on the Transformation of Collective Bargaining in the European Union.. Economic and Industrial Democracy 40(3): 469-489.
- Bechter, B., Brandl, B. & Prosser, P. (2017). Engagement in European Social Dialogue: an investigation into the role of social partner structural capacity.. Industrial Relations Journal 48(4): 365-382.
- Bechter, B. & Brandl, B. (2015). Measurement and Analysis of Industrial Relations Aggregates: What is the Relevant Unit of Analysis in Comparative Research? . European Political Science 14(4): 422-438.
- Bechter, Barbara., Bernd, Brandl. & Meardi, Guglielmo. (2012). Sectors or Countries? Typologies and Levels of Analysis in Comparative Industrial Relations. European Journal of Industrial Relations 18(3): 185-202.
- Bechter, B., Brandl, B. & Meardi, G. (2011). Die Bestimmungsgründe der (Re-) Sektoralisierung der industriellen Beziehungen in der Europäischen Union. Industrielle Beziehungen 18(3): 143-166.
- Pitlik, Hans., Schwarz, Gerhard., Bechter, Barbara. & Brandl, Bernd. (2011). Near Is my Shirt, But Nearer Is My Skin: Ideology or Self-Interest as Determinants of Public Opinion on Fiscal Policy Issues. Kyklos 64(2): 271-290.
- Bechter, B., Brandl, B., Pitlik, H. & Schwarz, G. (2011). Mehr Politik als Sozial- und Wirtschaftspolitik? Determinanten der Akzeptanz von sozial- und wirtschaftspolitischen Maßnahmen. Österreichische Zeitschrift für Politikwissenschaft (Austrian Journal of Political Science) 40(3): 217-235.
- Arrowsmith, J., Nicholaisen, H., Bechter, B. & Nonell, R. (2010). The management of variable pay in European banking. International Journal of Human Resource Management 21(5): 2716-2740.
- Nergaard, K.; Dølvik J.E.; Marginson, P.; Bechter, B. & Arasanz Díaz, J. (2009). Engaging with variable pay: a comparative study of the metal industry. European Journal of Industrial Relations 15(2): 121-141.