Dr Ahmed Elsayed
BSc(Hons),Dip, MA, PhD, PGCAP, SFHEA
Dr. Ahmed Elsayed is an Associate Professor (Teaching) in Economics at Durham Business School. Dr. Elsayed has joined Durham University in 2013. Prior to that, he has had excellent opportunities to work at several universities such as Leeds University and London Metropolitan University. Where his academic duties include PhD supervision, programme leadership, developing new programmes, and teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. This allows him to acquire considerable experience in research, teaching and leadership. Ahmed has an extensive teaching experience in higher education. His current teaching interests include Economic Theory, Macroeconomics, Quantitative Methods, Financial Markets and Institutions and Financial Econometrics.
Dr. Elsayed obtained a Ph.D. in Economics from Leeds University Business School. His Ph.D. thesis investigates the impact of financial development, financial structure and financial liberalisation policies on economic development in LDCs. His main research interests are in the areas of Contagion and financial crises, Middle East and Emerging Financial Markets, Financial Integration, Islamic Finance, Energy Economics, Information Transmission, and volatility modelling. In addition, Ahmed is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a member of Institute for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies.
- Return and volatility transmission in financial markets
- Economic determinants of volatility spillovers
- Middle East economies and Emerging fianacial markets
- Analysis of cointegrating systems and econometric modelling of regime-switching and asymmetry
- Contagion and financial crises
- Financial Development and Regulations
- Monetary and financial economics
- Banking and Islamic Finance
- Economics & Finance Department
- Centre for Macroeconomic Policy
- Quantitative Research in Financial Economics
- Centre for Banking, Institutions and Development (CBID)
- Ethical Finance Accountability and Governance
- Damianov, Damian S. & Elsayed, Ahmed H. (2020). Does Bitcoin add value to global industry portfolios?. Economics Letters
- Ahmed, H. & Elsayed, A. (2019). Are Islamic and Conventional Capital Markets Decoupled? Evidence from Stock and Bonds/Sukuk Markets in Malaysia . Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance 74: 56-66.
- Elsayed, Ahmed H. & Yarovaya, Larisa (2019). Financial Stress Dynamics in the MENA Region: Evidence from the Arab Spring. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 62: 20-34.
- Damianov, D.S. & Elsayed, A.H. (2018). On the Transmission of Spillover Risks between the Housing Market, the Mortgage and Equity REITs markets, and the Stock Market. Finance Research Letters 27: 193-200.
- Elsayed, A. (2016). Effective and Successful Small Group Teaching.. Pedagogically Speaking (3): 3-4.