Dr Damian Damianov
Damian Damianov joined Durham University Business School in July 2013 as an Associate Professor (Reader) in Economics and Finance. Prior to that, he was an Associate Professor at the University of Texas Pan American. His research interests are in the areas of financial economics (real estate finance and household finance) and microeconomic theory.
Damian Damianov completed his PhD at the University of Heidelberg in 2006 and started the same year as an Assistant Professor of Economics at the University of Texas Pan American where he was granted tenure and promoted to Associate Professor in 2012. He joined Durham University Business School as an Associate Professor (Reader) in Economics and Finance in July 2013.
Damian's current research focuses on issues in real estate markets and household finance. He is working on topics such as the causes for mortgage default, the reasons for property tax non-compliance, the formation of house price bubbles, and the characteristics of real estate investment trusts (REITs) as a vehicle for property investment.
Damian has been regularly teaching the modules Derivative Markets and Advanced Financial Theory on the Masters in Finance programme, and is currently also teaching a newly created module in Real Estate Finance for final year undergraduate students.
- Financial Economics
- Real Estate Finance
- Household Finance
- Microeconomic Theory
- Damianov, Damian S. & Elsayed, Ahmed H. (2020). Does Bitcoin add value to global industry portfolios?. Economics Letters 191: 108935.
- Damianov, Damian S. & Escobari, Diego (2019). Getting on and Moving Up the Property Ladder: Real hedging in the U.S. Housing Market Before and After the Crisis. Real Estate Economics
- Damianov, D.S., Sanders, S. & Yildizparlak, A. (2018). Asymmetric Endogenous Prize Contests. Theory and Decision 85(3-4): 435-453.
- Damianov, D.S. & Peeters, R. (2018). Prize-Based Mechanisms for Fund-Raising: Theory and Experiments.. Economic Inquiry 56(3): 1562-1584.
- Damianova, E. & Damianov, D.S. (2018). Teaching Futures Markets with the “ZIP Code” Trading Game.. Journal of Financial Education 44(1): 79-99.
- Damianov, D.S. & Elsayed, A.H. (2018). On the Transmission of Spillover Risks between the Housing Market, the Mortgage and Equity REITs markets, and the Stock Market. Finance Research Letters 27: 193-200.
- Damianov, D.S. & Peeters, R. (2017). On the Disclosure of Ticket Sales in Charitable Lotteries.. Economics Letters 150: 73-76.
- Damianov, D.S. & Escobari, D. (2016). Long-Run Equilibrium Shift and Short-Run Dynamics of U.S. Home Price Tiers during the Housing Bubble. Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 53(1): 1-28.
- Damianov, D.S. (2015). Should Lotteries Offer Discounts on Multiple Tickets?. Economics Letters 126: 84-86.
- Escobari, D., Damianov, D.S. & Bello, A. (2015). A Time Series Test to Identify Housing Bubbles. Journal of Economics and Finance 39(1): 136-152.
- Damianov, D.S. & Pagan, J.A. (2013). Health Insurance Coverage, Income Distribution and Healthcare Quality in Local Healthcare Markets. Health Economics 22(8): 987-1002.
- Damianov, D.S. (2012). Seller Competition by Mechanism Design. Economic Theory 51(1): 105-137.
- Damianov, D.S. & Sanders, S. (2012). Why Don't You Two Get a Room? A Puzzle and Pricing Model of Extra Services in Hotels. Journal of Industrial Organization Education 6(1): 1035.
- Calafiore, P. & Damianov, D.S. (2011). The Effect of Time Spent Online on Student Achievement in Economics and Finance Online Courses. Journal of Economic Education 42(3): 209-223.
- Damianov, D.S. & Sanders, S. (2011). Status Spending Races, Cooperative Consumption, and Voluntary Public Income Disclosure: A Classroom Experiment. International Review of Economic Education 10(1): 29-53
- Damianov, D.S. (2011). A Classroom Experiment on Status Goods and Consumer Choice. Journal of Economics and Finance Education 10(1): 1-13.
- Damianov, D.S., Oechssler, J. & Becker, J.G. (2010). Uniform vs. Discriminatory Auctions with Variable Supply—Experimental Evidence. Games and Economic Behavior 68(1): 60-76.
- Damianov, D.S. & Becker, J.G. (2010). Auctions with Variable Supply: Uniform Price versus Discriminatory. European Economic Review 54(4): 571-593
- Damianov, D.S., Kupczynski, L., Calafiore, P., Damianova, E.P., Soydemir, G. & Gonzalez, E. (2009). Time Spent Online and Student Performance in Online Business Courses: A Multinomial Logit Analysis. Journal of Economics and Finance Education 8(2): 11-22.
- Damianov, D.S. (2008). The Uniform Price and the Discriminatory Auction with Variable Supply. Applied Economics Research Bulletin Special Issue I (Auctions): 89-98
- Becker, J.G. & Damianov, D.S (2006). On the Existence of Symmetric Mixed Strategy Equilibria. Economics Letters 90(1): 84-87
- Damianov, D.S. (2005). The Uniform Price Auction with Endogenous Supply. Economics Letters 88(2): 152-158.