Van Mildert College is firmly committed to the principles of sustainability. The College recognises that its activities impact upon the environment through its routine internal operations, its infrastructural development and its influence on the wider community.
The College acknowledges a responsibility for, and a commitment to, the protection of the environment at all levels.
The College will endeavour to exceed the requirements of relevant environmental legislation, is committed to environmental performance improvement and will:
- Seek to integrate a consideration of environmental issues into all relevant aspects of College life;
- In conjunction with University, promote and raise awareness of good environmental management policies and practices among staff, students and guests;
- Promote a purchasing policy which favours those products and services which cause the least harm to the environment;
- Continue to reduce the consumption of primary raw materials (including gas, water and energy) and seek to enhance the contribution of energy efficient, low carbonmeasures, recyclable components and renewables;
- Implement sound long-term waste management plans to reduce overall waste production and increase the recycled component of the waste stream;
- Encourage and facilitate sustainable modes of transport to, from and within the College;
Develop and maintain the grounds and buildings of the College in an environmentally sensitive way, seeking to protect and enhance natural habitats and biodiversity.
GREEN TOURISM SCHEME
Sustainable tourism protects environments, respects local cultures, supports communities, conserves natural resources and minimises pollution.
Green Tourism has been running since 1997. The scheme is a not-for-profit organisation.
There are more than 2000 members across the UK, Ireland, Italy, Canada and Zimbabwe making it the world’s largest and most established sustainable tourism certification programme in the world.
By choosing a Green Tourism member means you are supporting a business that is positively working towards being sustainable; one which is accountable and genuine in its approach.
Highly qualified advisors visit each Green Tourism member every two years to assess them against a rigorous set of criteria, covering a range of areas such as energy and water efficiency, waste management, biodiversity as well as social and ethical choices.
We are on a green journey and our level of sustainability is shown in our grading level we currently display – Gold Standard
Inspirational / Outstanding
- Highest standards of sustainability are being achieved with a strong and broad ethos and excellent examples throughout.
- Latest technologies are employed from LED lighting through to efficient boilers and renewable technologies.
- Efficient control of resource use and can demonstrate effective monitoring with targets for savings.
- Green procurement includes sustainable fish/meat sources, a range of ethical products and working with local suppliers to provide fresh, local and often organic items.
- Changes in working practices are leading to significant benefits to the business, community and supply chain.
To find out more about Green Tourism please follow the link on our GOLD award badge.
- Van Mildert College - Directions (last modified: 19 July 2016)
- Van Mildert College Eco Code (last modified: 19 July 2016)
- Van Mildert College Environmental Committee News (last modified: 19 July 2016)
- Van Mildert College Environmental Policy (last modified: 19 July 2016)
- Van Mildert College Environmental Sustainability (last modified: 19 July 2016)